"Best" Subaru, new or old, for an overland build?

• HTML tutorial

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
I have seen that one and watched his YouTube walk around many times. The Outback would actually allow me to sleep in it too at 6’3” I don’t think the Forester or Crosatrek would let me do that
Please don’t take this the wrong way but his Outback is an example of what you can do if you go to LP Adventures website and start clicking add to cart haha. Unfortunately there are quite a few LP rubber stamps out there. They’re nice mild builds but I prefer some individuality and the additional functionality that comes with it.

I’m 6’1” and change and when the situation calls for sleeping in my Outback I’m basically touching at both ends. That said I wouldn’t hesitate if I were a little taller and it was one of the reasons I chose an Outback.

Reactions: Wolf427

VE1PS

Rank 0

Contributor I

I’m seeing people put KO2’s on these XV’s. A kid a local high school has one and now I see the same setup on display at the dealership. I’ve had BFG tire shops warn me off this set up for my ‘11 Outback citing poor mpg, handling, etc. Any thoughts on slightly more robust (than all season) tires that won’t compromise the Outback?

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
I’m seeing people put KO2’s on these XV’s. A kid a local high school has one and now I see the same setup on display at the dealership. I’ve had BFG tire shops warn me off this set up for my ‘11 Outback citing poor mpg, handling, etc. Any thoughts on slightly more robust (than all season) tires that won’t compromise the Outback?
Rule number 1 when you want to do anything outside the box to your Subaru.... don’t listen to anyone who doesn’t have experience in this arena. I’ve heard some pretty idiotic things come out of the mouths of ‘experts’ over the years.

First of all your Outback is never going to win any handling competitions on ANY tire. It’s a 2 ton understeering wagon... end of story. All terrain tires are heavier and they certainly don’t come in low rolling resistance flavor but they handle just fine. If you want an AT tire that behaves the best on road and still offers good off road traction the Yokohama Geolandar G015 is hands down the best option.

Reactions: VE1PS

Ripley1046

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Manitowoc, WI
First Name
Cory
Last Name
Ripley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD9VKY
92532Just lifted our 2010 last night. Even bone stock we did a 1400 mile 4 day trip with no issues. Between the 2/2.5” lift and bigger tires she is set up pretty well now for anything we can get to in the area. I love the OBs, had a 2001 manual until it ate a rod bearing. We’ve had this one for about 6 years. I bought a 2010 OB a few months back, and am buying a 2008 Forester next week. But for an overland build, Outback is hard to beat, unless you can go new. An Ascent will be our next vehicle with a payment.

FozNasty

Rank 0

Contributor I

Central Texas
Member #

I chose the falken wildpeak at3's, I love ko2's but the falkens were cheaper, lighter and still rated for extreme weather, the sidewall may not be nearly as stout as the ko2 but so far I'm happy with the tire. My main concern was keeping the weight to as close to stock as I could to save those cv's

FozNasty

Rank 0

Contributor I

Central Texas
Member #

I chose the falken wildpeak at3's, I love ko2's but the falkens were cheaper, lighter and still rated for extreme weather, the sidewall may not be nearly as stout as the ko2 but so far I'm happy with the tire. My main concern was keeping the weight to as close to stock as I could to save those cv's

Reactions: deeve and VE1PS

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Wildpeaks are definitely lighter but in the case of my size I was surprised to learn the difference was only 3lbs. Falkens are still 12lbs more than my previous tire, the G015, in the same size. Also the P rated Wildpeak is more robust than people give it credit for. It falls between a C and closer to D for load rating. Definitely not your typical P rated tire.

Weight everywhere is always a concern of mine with a Subaru but what’s going to kill my axles is improper angles as a result of my lift. Increased rotating mass is more of a slow bleed on the entire driveline.

FozNasty

Rank 0

Contributor I

Central Texas
Member #

I want to say for mine it was a 4-5lb and about $40 difference per tire over the ko2's, it was more the cost but felt good to also shave around 22.5 lbs and about $180 for 5 full size tires. Your right it doesn't affect the axles as much but knowing it's helping a lil bit to the entire drive train over the pricier ko2's, well its made me happy so far. I wasn't aware about the load rating, but thanks I'm happier than before lol

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

I went with the black rhino boxer wheel and the cooper discover at3 4s in a 235/75r15 and ended up being 4 lbs lighter each than the stock setup. They are not a super aggressive At but have worked great over the winter and on most road surfaces quieter then the stock setup .20181228_134835.jpg

FozNasty

Rank 0

Contributor I

Central Texas
Member #

I went with the black rhino boxer wheel and the cooper discover at3 4s in a 235/75r15 and ended up being 4 lbs lighter each than the stock setup. They are not a super aggressive At but have worked great over the winter and on most road surfaces quieter then the stock setup .View attachment 93149
I'm a big fan of those Cooper's! Really thought hard on going with them, I just got a good deal on my setup I couldn't pass, it's basically the cheap mb wheels, I wanted to go to 15" and still might in the future.

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
I want to say for mine it was a 4-5lb and about $40 difference per tire over the ko2's, it was more the cost but felt good to also shave around 22.5 lbs and about $180 for 5 full size tires. Your right it doesn't affect the axles as much but knowing it's helping a lil bit to the entire drive train over the pricier ko2's, well its made me happy so far. I wasn't aware about the load rating, but thanks I'm happier than before lol
Haha no problem. They're definitely the best value in AT tires right now and I've been very happy with them in all conditions.

I went with the black rhino boxer wheel and the cooper discover at3 4s in a 235/75r15 and ended up being 4 lbs lighter each than the stock setup. They are not a super aggressive At but have worked great over the winter and on most road surfaces quieter then the stock setup .
Your stock wheel/tire weighed 58lbs (21lb wheel + 33lb tire + 4)?

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Interesting. I didn't see those numbers anywhere.

Jeff B

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Putnam County, New York, USA
Member #

I feel like I kinda got a problem. I’ve got a loaded AEV Wrangler Rubicon and keep thinking a Forester looks more fun. :expressionless:
I went the other way from what you are thinking of doing. I had a 2011 Forester and traded it in for a 2015 Wrangler Unlimited Willys. I am so glad I did too. That Subaru just could not do much or handle much weight. The size difference is huge too. Loaded with the same equipment ( which will all fit in the Jeep, versus having to use a Thule roof box for the Subaru) the jeep gets very similar gas mileage, maybe 2-3 different on the highway. I find the Jeep to be much more fun and has far less problems.

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
they list the tires at 30 but they ended up being lighter .
‘They’, as in Cooper, list the tire as 31 or 34 depending on which tire you you purchased in that same size. The 33 was from TireRack but I guess Cooper doesn’t know how much their tires weigh..

My bad on the wheel though. The weight I gave was, inadvertently, for their 17”.

That Subaru just could not do much or handle much weight.

The jeep gets very similar gas mileage, maybe 2-3 different on the highway.
There are a LOT of people out there who would completely disagree with your statements haha but I’m glad you’re happy with your Jeep.

Jeff B

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Putnam County, New York, USA
Member #

‘They’, as in Cooper, list the tire as 31 or 34 depending on which tire you you purchased in that same size. The 33 was from TireRack but I guess Cooper doesn’t know how much their tires weigh..

My bad on the wheel though. The weight I gave was, inadvertently, for their 17”.

There are a LOT of people out there who would completely disagree with your statements haha but I’m glad you’re happy with your Jeep.
I will never buy another Subaru again, it was a piece of junk. There are actually class action lawsuits going on for that year/style for burning excessive oil. There were also problems with seatbelts and wheel bearings.

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
I will never buy another Subaru again, it was a piece of junk. There are actually class action lawsuits going on for that year/style for burning excessive oil. There were also problems with seatbelts and wheel bearings.
Stinks you had a bad one but hey, whatever. Don’t pretend like Jeep doesn’t have any class action lawsuits or plenty of other known issues haha.

Reactions: chuckoverland

Ricky-Bobbi

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Colorado Springs, CO, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Arguello
Member #

As a 20 year subaru mechanic. All Subaru’s do well as long as you maintain them. Personally I like the Forester 2005-2008 models. Although the newer models with hill assist are pretty awesome!

Reactions: Wolf427 and deeve