Best spots to camp on Buffalo River, AR?

• HTML tutorial

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
Hello, all. I'm going up to the Buffalo River and was hoping to get some information on good areas to check out. I'm going with a tear-drop type camper and kayaks, so camp areas that are a little remote and close to water are great. I looked up some places online, but I know that I can get way better info from people who have been there and/or live in the area. Thanks.

Last edited:

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
Hello, all. I'm going up to the Buffalo River and was hoping to get some information on good areas to check out. I'm going with a tear-drop type camper and kayaks, so camp areas that are a little remote and close to water are great. I looked up some places online, but I know that I can get way better info from people who have been there and/or live in the area. Thanks.
OK then...does anyone know where I can get a good used banjo...??

d.jpg

Razorback

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Scranton, Arkansas, United States
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Kirby
Member #

grubworm when looking for a place to camp I use the app "the dyrt". Where are you coming from?

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
grubworm when looking for a place to camp I use the app "the dyrt". Where are you coming from?
thanks for the reply. i checked out thedyrt.com and got some hits. i'm an hour south of new orleans. we went a couple months ago and got up around the mulberry river and liked that area and heard buffalo river is even better, so we're planning an extended stay this time and was hoping to get some input on the area and see if there are some places more suited for boondocking.

Razorback

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Scranton, Arkansas, United States
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Kirby
Member #

thanks for the reply. i checked out thedyrt.com and got some hits. i'm an hour south of new orleans. we went a couple months ago and got up around the mulberry river and liked that area and heard buffalo river is even better, so we're planning an extended stay this time and was hoping to get some input on the area and see if there are some places more suited for boondocking.
Hello Grubworm I checked out your bios and see you are from Thibodaux. Mywife is from Labadieville. We moved to Arkansas last year but haven't explored the Buffalo River area yet. When are you planning on coming up?

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
Hello Grubworm I checked out your bios and see you are from Thibodaux. Mywife is from Labadieville. We moved to Arkansas last year but haven't explored the Buffalo River area yet. When are you planning on coming up?
I lived in Labadieville for a while, on Brule road across from the cemetery. Now I'm past the waterplant between houma and thibodaux...
my wife and i are wanting to go mid to late september. how are y'all liking arkansas?

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
We absolutely love Arkansas! Ya'll should have great temperatures for camping mid to lat September. Do you plan on any trail riding?
No. We have a kayak and SUP, so prob more into kayaking and a little hiking. We tent camped out of the Tundra a couple months ago and was really impressed with the state parks. There was an area on Mulberry river that had camp spots with no power, but had a decent bath house for a warm shower. I'm looking for something similar on the Buffalo.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
ok, i didn't get much help on this thread, but i did go up there and what i found was this:

the buffalo river is awesome and there is a LOT of hiking with a lot to see, numerous water falls, caves, great kayaking and awesome views. "boon docking" was pretty much a no-go as most of what i saw was state parks, campgrounds and everything else highly posted private property. a few of the state parks allowed tent camping but no rvs and apparently my tear drop camper is a "RV".
we checked online and the state park site said the park was closed this time of year and it was first come first serve to get a campsite (no charge) and no facilities available. we went to steel creek and spent the night and had a guy who said he was doing maintenance give us the boot because a tear-drop camper is a "RV" and they are not allowed even though the ENTIRE camp area was empty. so we ended up getting a room in jasper. jasper was really cool and quaint and we ate at the ozark cafe which was PHENOMINAL! i will definitely go back, but it looks like camping is limited to campgrounds packed with people or state parks packed with people when it is open.
if there is anyone who has more and better info, please give your input.

Last edited:
Reactions: eagle_A40