Rank I

Contributor II

Beatrice, NE
First Name
Blake
Last Name
Julian
definitely curious what you choose
If dealerships were open on Sundays it would make it easier to test drive vehicles. As I work 6 days a week 11 hours a day. I’m going to try and go to OKC sometime this week after work and drive some since they don’t close until 9pm in the city

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Well, so I did some poking around looks like it was a high speed g out with a trailer in tow. Would happen to a super duty in the same situation.
yeah, I did lots of reading when this one hit the internet and yes a wee bit fast over some whoop dee doos with a trailer and perhaps over the GVWR. There was lots of input from other guys in other similar rigs doing the same thing with no issues plus there have been several more with the same result. So I wonder if it is a design problem. Not a one off either, there were 6 different Bisons with the same issue, I think they were all the high end off roader Bisons, advertised as high performing off roaders. In Chevys words, "Our most capable 4x4 ever".

One thing this brings home, don't overload if you overland. One more reason to get a 3/4 ton,, .....
No, I doubt you would get the same result in a SuperDuty carrying/towing the same load.

I just wonder if this will turn out to be like the exploding Pintos. Or the Firestone/Explorer debacle. I'm not a fan of any one brand, they all have issues, but 6 new trucks with bent frames when they were being driven on gravel roads is enough to make me pause. Lordy knows no manufacturer will ever admit and correct a design problem since that would be an admission of guilt.

Reactions: 9Mike2 and MidOH

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
yeah, I did lots of reading when this one hit the internet and yes a wee bit fast over some whoop dee doos with a trailer and perhaps over the GVWR. There was lots of input from other guys in other similar rigs doing the same thing with no issues plus there have been several more with the same result. So I wonder if it is a design problem. Not a one off either, there were 6 different Bisons with the same issue, I think they were all the high end off roader Bisons, advertised as high performing off roaders. In Chevys words, "Our most capable 4x4 ever".

One thing this brings home, don't overload if you overland. One more reason to get a 3/4 ton,, .....
No, I doubt you would get the same result in a SuperDuty carrying/towing the same load.

I just wonder if this will turn out to be like the exploding Pintos. Or the Firestone/Explorer debacle. I'm not a fan of any one brand, they all have issues, but 6 new trucks with bent frames when they were being driven on gravel roads is enough to make me pause. Lordy knows no manufacturer will ever admit and correct a design problem since that would be an admission of guilt.
Might be a crumple zone. Might have exceeded the bump stops too hard like the bent Raptors. GM denied warranty because the trucks tires were 1" taller than OEM.

The airbag and seatbelt failures are even scarier. Google that, and the length of time for GM to accept blame on that one, and warranty those. It's been an ongoing issue for a over a decade now. Not just the Zr2, but Hummer and Sierra as well.

I've literally jumped 16 foot, 10,000 pound trailers, through muddy holes in the ground, because that's the only way a pos GM Express van could make it across the jobsite. There is no crawling through mud off road, with a heavy one wheel drive van. Evil Knievel, or walk, are the only options.

So no, a 1 ton frame shouldn't bend like that. We baja work trucks on rough gravel roads with heavy trailers every week. A 2000# trailer won't do jack to a SD Ford or HD Ram, unless you drop one on the cab.

Last edited:

Superduty23

Rank I

Contributor II

Beatrice, NE
First Name
Blake
Last Name
Julian
So in other words don’t get a Bison and check the ZR2s frame to see if those holes are there? I was leaning towards a ZR2 Diesel.

huachuca

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

tarboro nc
First Name
Al
Last Name
Killebrew
Member #

I haven’t seen any photos or write-ups of a Colorado having the Bison package with frame damage yet - a ZR2 and a Z71, yes. As an owner who offroads and pulls a trailer, this is definitely a concern. To the beat of my knowledge, all Colorado’s of the same year use a common chassis. If there’ve been six failures in Bisons alone, considering their limited production numbers, there may be some other factors in play. Any reputable links??

Al

Reactions: Superduty23

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Add one con to the Chevy choice, bent frames, I have never seen this in 40 years of 4WD.
I'd want answers before taking a chance.View attachment 142327

View attachment 142328

I've read about a dozen of these on the internet. They bend right at that hole in the frame. There is lots of "the guy was driving like an idiot" but there are idiots driving other brands too.
I’ve seen these in person putting them on the overhead lifts in shops.... picking the truck up as told in the FSM and yet the week frames still buckle... I used to own an 07 Trailblazer and ended up having my brother weld up those holes then fish plating the frame in this location to keep it from happening.

Superduty23

Rank I

Contributor II

Beatrice, NE
First Name
Blake
Last Name
Julian
8 months later I’m going to give the bison a chance after I test drive one. I’ve been watching videos and looking up the aftermarket world and I’m believe that’s what I’m going to go with. I found one in Sand Dune Metallic.

Reactions: grubworm

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
8 months later I’m going to give the bison a chance after I test drive one. I’ve been watching videos and looking up the aftermarket world and I’m believe that’s what I’m going to go with. I found one in Sand Dune Metallic.
nice! let us know how it goes

Superduty23

Rank I

Contributor II

Beatrice, NE
First Name
Blake
Last Name
Julian
nice! let us know how it goes
Oh I will! I’m going to start buying parts this week or next before I even find the right color combo I want. Lol

huachuca

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

tarboro nc
First Name
Al
Last Name
Killebrew
Member #

Wish that color had been an option when I bought mine.

FTR, just completed first year of ownership and about to turn 25K miles on mine (Gas, CC, Bison) - still very happy with the truck. My hard core off-roading days are long past and now its 70% DD, 25% tow (3.5K 5th wheel Scamp) and 5% trails and beach. The DSSV suspension is amazing on and off road, plenty of power, decent mpg, comfortable for 500+ mile drives, good ergonomics (other than the 4WD selector), front AND rear lockers are awesome. Aftermarket is nothing like what's available for Tacoma and Jeep but improving. The Bison really doesn't need that much - I've added a winch (9.5 ComeUp), shock skids and replaced the factory sliders with those from White Knuckle (Needed rocker protection AND steps). Suspension upgrades would be required to go much larger than the stock tires (265 65 17") but I don't see a need for that with my usage. Coming from fifteen years of Tacoma's, my biggest complaint is the interior storage - horrible design for door pockets and rear seat storage is minimal. I also miss the in bed inverter and the adjustable bed rail cargo tie downs of the Toyota's. Keep in mind the GVWR on all the mid-size offerings is limited - add a winch, tools, recovery gear, camping stuff, extra fuel, a couple of 'mature' passengers and there ain't much room left for beer.

Looking forward to reading of your impressions after the test drive.

Av8or

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Wisconsin
First Name
Austin
Last Name
Levin
Hey all,

New to the forum. I got a 2019 Ranger, the first one my dealership sold back in March of 2019. Of course I'm biased but I'd definitely recommend the Ranger... FOR the price. You can get the FX4 on any trim level, and all of the levels have the same best-in-class powertrain, the 2.3L ecoboost. It's a proven drive train in the Ford Mustang, Transit and Focus RS and has the 10 speed out of the F150 so it really is reliable.

If you can afford a Bison for 60k, or a Gladiator for 60k, or a TRD Pro for 55k, then yeah those are definitely better until Ford comes out with a Raptor Ranger. But you can get a very capable truck NEW in the ballpark of 30-40k. All I'm doing is adding a small level, bigger tires and some lights and I think my truck is very capable. I think the cost/benefit of the Ranger is there for sure if that's what you're looking for.