Best Places to OL in NC?

• HTML tutorial

Gordon843

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Adams Run, SC
Member #

The trail in Gorges SP, Chestnut Mountain Road, is a great drive with a nice spot to camp on the river at the bottom. August of '17, did it in my stock 17 Tacoma with ATs so obviously not very difficult (seen pics and video from Jan '18 and looks like there are some spots that are pretty washed out). Could have made it in 2WD. Some fairly steep climbs up clay so the difficulty would go up in the rain.

Gonna be in the area beginning of June and would like to drive it again if anyone is interested. Would also like to do Hurricane Creek then.

TRAYNC

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Midland, NC
First Name
Travis
Last Name
R
Member #

Has anyone done Hurricane Trail Lately, we are heading there on Saturday?

TRAYNC

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Midland, NC
First Name
Travis
Last Name
R
Member #

We ran Hurricane Creek yesterday.. it was much more difficult than I expected... a lot of technical rock challenges.. happy to come out with no damage.. probably not the easiest trail for a rookie. It was fun though.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

tsteb112

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Greenville
We ran Hurricane Creek yesterday.. it was much more difficult than I expected... a lot of technical rock challenges.. happy to come out with no damage.. probably not the easiest trail for a rookie. It was fun though.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
Where is the nearest town. I’d be interested in running this during the summer sometime possibly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TRAYNC

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Midland, NC
First Name
Travis
Last Name
R
Member #

Where is the nearest town. I’d be interested in running this during the summer sometime possibly

We stayed at the Hot Springs Campground, it was about a 30- 40 minute ride from there.

agentorange76

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Asheville, NC
Member #

Okay, who brought the crosstrek through there:tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Better than the pontiac sunfire we saw on a trail that had a taco on 3 wheels.....or the ford transit van I winched off hurricane once:fearscream:

For the fullsize guys out there, I've run both a stock ram and a stock tundra through there with no issues, can supply photographic evidence one I hit my 4 required posts...

St8ton

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Salisbury, NC
Member #

The Smoky Mountain Overland Rally was just held in the area. Several groups went thru Hurricane Creek, my group had to clear a large tree near the end of the trail. You'll be seeing it off to the right of the path near the end. Also, I can now say I've seen a full size Dodge 2500 MegaCab with a hardshell topper go thru the entire trail....fairly unscathed.

RickLB

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Blythewood SC
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Byrum
Member #

Service Branch
Army
I'm in SC but will be watching this thread. Interested in going Uwharrie soon

dougie117

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Charlotte, NC
Member #

I'm going to be out on Hurricane Creek (never driven) this Saturday. Taking it up to Max Patch (been) and then possible on to Wolf Creek Falls (never been). Going with a guy from work who has a Tacoma and maybe the pup. He said a few of his Tacoma buddies might join but it's for certain going to be the two of us. It's calling for 60% rain Thursday in that area and another 30% on Friday before a clear-ish weekend. That should make the water crossings a bit more fun. Anyone interested?

Reactions: RickLB

Derrick Davis

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Florence
Member #

Okay, who brought the crosstrek through there:tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Better than the pontiac sunfire we saw on a trail that had a taco on 3 wheels.....or the ford transit van I winched off hurricane once:fearscream:

For the fullsize guys out there, I've run both a stock ram and a stock tundra through there with no issues, can supply photographic evidence one I hit my 4 required posts...
Lol that’s my video. Our friend Brandon owns the Crosstrek and it did well other than the sway bar coming loose at the end [emoji102]

1uz4runner

Rank III
Launch Member

Influencer II

Williamston Nc
Member #

im interested in going to hurricane since seeing some videos. i do wish there were more places around ENC to go though. this past year me and my friend traveled to Portsmouth island this past summer and had a blast. portsmouth island is way more secluded that the surrounding islands so it makes it nicer to camp out on the beach. tried to get to the abandon village but the only path to get there was covered with water that in one spot was close to 2.5-3 feet deep. my 4runner went through fine but my buddies truck would have sucked up water so we turned around. next time we go i will be traveling to the village during low tide.
i want to get some type of overlanding group together around here, maybe in greenville, that can meet up maybe once a month. if anyone would be interested let me know and we can work on a time an place.

Reactions: tsteb112

tsteb112

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Greenville
im interested in going to hurricane since seeing some videos. i do wish there were more places around ENC to go though. this past year me and my friend traveled to Portsmouth island this past summer and had a blast. portsmouth island is way more secluded that the surrounding islands so it makes it nicer to camp out on the beach. tried to get to the abandon village but the only path to get there was covered with water that in one spot was close to 2.5-3 feet deep. my 4runner went through fine but my buddies truck would have sucked up water so we turned around. next time we go i will be traveling to the village during low tide.
i want to get some type of overlanding group together around here, maybe in greenville, that can meet up maybe once a month. if anyone would be interested let me know and we can work on a time an place.
I would be interested in that. I think it would be cool.

Reactions: JCruise

CaptainBuilt

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lafayette, LA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Theriot
Member #

Bumping this thread.

Looking for GPX files and stuff to do around East TN / WNC. With camping would be cool too.

OperationContingency

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Morganton, NC
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Shores
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
I've got a couple in Gaia maps that I'd be willing to share in WNC. Just shoot me a message. A few of them, I place markers to note some good camping spots. Most are on either NFS or BLM areas. ~Jonathan