Best Pickup Truck Tent Method

• Thread starter Deleted member 16081
  • Start date
  • HTML tutorial
D

Deleted member 16081

So im looking to get a tent for the bed of my 95 Silverado but I’m between 3 different types. So far I was leaning towards #1 do to the price. I was wondering what experiences/suggestions you guys have had with any of these tent methods...

1. The simple tent made just for the bed. Cheap & Simple

2. The rack like you see on many Tacoma’s

3. Or an actual truck cap with a rooftop tent secured on top of it

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

dblack

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sherwood Park, AB
Member #

#1, I've never tried. The only drawback that I could imagine is that when you arrive at destination, everything has to come out and be outside/around and under the truck overnight. In critter country things will try to get into other things... having said that I love the price and simplicity and one can always get around the stuff being outside. It's not a big deal.

#2 is close to what I do. I have a diamondback truck cover and a Rtt on top of it. Gives me storage and such under the tent. A Rtt is fairly quick and easy to set up. It ain't cheap tho.

#3 probably best of both worlds. Lots of storage and a tent above. Having the tent above does catch the wind but that should be minor.
I did have a fibreglass canopy like that on my Chevy for years. I just slept in it and loved it. I kept everything in water proof Rubbermaid boxes and put them outside overnight. When in bear country I would tuck them under the truck for safe-ish keeping and put the cooler on the front seat.

That's my 2 cents. I've already told you more than I know.

Cole Evans

Rank 0

Traveler I

I like option 2....I have a bed rack and a RTT ontop. Still gives you plenty of storage to use the bed of your truck and they are comfy.

I saw something online the other day for a mattress insert that is the shape of your cab that I thought was interesting (similar to a simple blow up mattress- cannot remember the name tho). If you ever get a truck camper shell that could be a cool option as it folds up and you can still store gear in the bed when traveling then roll out the new mattress.

Attachments

D

Deleted member 16081

#1, I've never tried. The only drawback that I could imagine is that when you arrive at destination, everything has to come out and be outside/around and under the truck overnight. In critter country things will try to get into other things... having said that I love the price and simplicity and one can always get around the stuff being outside. It's not a big deal.

#2 is close to what I do. I have a diamondback truck cover and a Rtt on top of it. Gives me storage and such under the tent. A Rtt is fairly quick and easy to set up. It ain't cheap tho.

#3 probably best of both worlds. Lots of storage and a tent above. Having the tent above does catch the wind but that should be minor.
I did have a fibreglass canopy like that on my Chevy for years. I just slept in it and loved it. I kept everything in water proof Rubbermaid boxes and put them outside overnight. When in bear country I would tuck them under the truck for safe-ish keeping and put the cooler on the front seat.

That's my 2 cents. I've already told you more than I know.
I am curious to know how it was just sleeping in the fiberglass bed cap, that’s always one of those possibilities. but I also don’t have a garage or even my own yard at the moment. So I can’t be taking stuff out/off and just throwing it somewhere. It’s either going to have to stay on or like the bed tent can simply be taken apart and assembled as needed

D

Deleted member 16081

I like option 2....I have a bed rack and a RTT ontop. Still gives you plenty of storage to use the bed of your truck and they are comfy.

I saw something online the other day for a mattress insert that is the shape of your cab that I thought was interesting (similar to a simple blow up mattress- cannot remember the name tho). If you ever get a truck camper shell that could be a cool option as it folds up and you can still store gear in the bed when traveling then roll out the new mattress.
I’m not a big ford guy but I love it man! My favorite part about one of these racks I saw for sale online had the option to hold gas cans on the side which Is awesome for me with that old truck.

dblack

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sherwood Park, AB
Member #

I am curious to know how it was just sleeping in the fiberglass bed cap, that’s always one of those possibilities. but I also don’t have a garage or even my own yard at the moment. So I can’t be taking stuff out/off and just throwing it somewhere. It’s either going to have to stay on or like the bed tent can simply be taken apart and assembled as needed
I loved it. The topper never leaked and I had plenty of room (old Chevy with an 8' box). The topper Never leaked, and I had sliding windows in the side for fresh air. In town the topper locked up and kept everything safe. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

Raul B

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kyle, Hays County, Texas, United States
First Name
Raul
Last Name
Banuelos
Member #

I have a bed rack with a RTT on right now but at one point I have had the tent in the back of the bed like the one you want... they are pretty easy to set up and if you get the molded air mattress they are pretty comfortable.... only downside is you really cant move the vehicle once its set up and anything that is in the bed has to come out once you get to your destination to setup the tent...

I have also had a fiberglass shell and used it on several occasions to sleep in... I like the shell but it also limits you at what you can do
-Raul

Cole Evans

Rank 0

Traveler I

I’m not a big ford guy but I love it man! My favorite part about one of these racks I saw for sale online had the option to hold gas cans on the side which Is awesome for me with that old truck.

Thanks. And yes this rack has many options for mounts on the side to hold axes, gas cans shovels and even tables underneath the rack. I also like that it keeps the tent at the same height as my cab and doesn't stick above it. Didn't hurt gas mileage much.

D

Deleted member 16081

Where exactly did you purchase the rack and about how much did the rack and the tent cost you? I know it’s not cheap I’m just curious

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

I went between the topper and tent with a prototype pvc frame and tarp. It was cheap, convenient, and worked very well for me. It should be nice when ambient temps aren't 90 degrees.

I might go to a topper if I find a deal but for now this works.

Reactions: Buzzard13
D

Deleted member 16081

I went between the topper and tent with a prototype pvc frame and tarp. It was cheap, convenient, and worked very well for me. It should be nice when ambient temps aren't 90 degrees.

Nothing wrong with that! I love it. Looks perfect for your situation and cheap is always nice.

Cole Evans

Rank 0

Traveler I

Where exactly did you purchase the rack and about how much did the rack and the tent cost you? I know it’s not cheap I’m just curious

The rack is a front runner slimline rack. Bought it online and installed it myself. Real simple. Roughly $800 for the rack. The tent is an ARB but there are many options and they run $800-$3000 depending what you go with.

Cole Evans

Rank 0

Traveler I

That is awesome. Nice work.

D

Deleted member 16081

The rack is a front runner slimline rack. Bought it online and installed it myself. Real simple. Roughly $800 for the rack. The tent is an ARB but there are many options and they run $800-$3000 depending what you go with.

I’m impressed with the price of the rack. And I like how low it sits so it shouldn’t really take a toll on gas mileage either.

Bryan_FRO

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Agoura Hills CA
Member #

I’m impressed with the price of the rack. And I like how low it sits so it shouldn’t really take a toll on gas mileage either.
Let me know if you have any questions on any Front Runner products. I'm the sales manager there and I'm happy to help out any way I can.

Cheers,
Bryan

khorsa

Rank III

Advocate II

michigan
For my .02 cents I would go with the fiberglass cap and build a bed (sleeping type) a couple of inches above the wheel wells. Store your stuff underneath the bed platform in pull out drawers/tubs/etc. If you are in the north and worried about being too cold you can insulate your cap with that silver insulation that i can't remember the name of right now.

Reactions: Graeman

Arizona Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Cottonwood, Arizona
Member #

It really depends on what you want out of your overland rig.
I have my RTT pretty high, but I did it because I have an annex room, and I can use the tent as an awning if I don't set up the annex. The downside is it catches wind and MPGs really suffer. My RTT is 72" wide. It is about as wide as a King size bed.
This is what I wanted and I like how it works. I also have a lot of room under the tent in the bed for storage. RTT is fairly easy to setup and teardown. There are, imo, better options, but cost and the family situation ruled those out................. for now. In a few years, as I start aging, I can see this setup will no longer work.
Do your research and think long and hard. Just remember, your overland rig will never be done.

Reactions: Bryan_FRO

Tanner Howe

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Rio Vista
Member #

Option 3 is definitely the way to go. Just make sure you get a shell with an internal frame to support the extra weight. I have a ARE CX HD shell with an internal fame to support the rack and the extra weight of people in the tent. My only complaint is having to crawl in back of the bed to access my gear. Not a real concern, but a Bedslide can solve that problem.

Attachments

805RADO

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Santa Ynez, CA, USA
First Name
Lost
Last Name
Sasquatch
Member #

Let me know if you have any questions on any Front Runner products. I'm the sales manager there and I'm happy to help out any way I can.

Cheers,
Bryan
Bryan, was it you who I worked with to get everything to fit my truck? I was just down in agoura hills a late october. Im loving the slimline set up and RTT from you all! Screen Shot 2017-12-14 at 10.53.21 AM.png Screen Shot 2017-12-14 at 10.53.41 AM.png