• Start date
  • HTML tutorial

StokelyVanCamp

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Calgary, AB, Canada
Member #

+1 for a bed rack and RTT. I had a Titan with a FR Slimeline with a Tepui, great set up. I’ll try and post a couple pics. Life changed, so I ended up selling the truck and the RTT. I really liked how you had the room in the box below the rack, yet the tent sat below the roof line. A locking tailgate, with bins in the box was very secure too.

Reactions: Bryan_FRO

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

Soon I'll have a Kodiak truck tent. Hopefully the the weather will be nice for new year's weekend.

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

Wow, there is so much space. Hopefully the short trip next week I have planned will have good weather.

Buzzard13

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Mesquite, NV, USA
First Name
Austin
Last Name
Tressel
Member #

I went between the topper and tent with a prototype pvc frame and tarp. It was cheap, convenient, and worked very well for me. It should be nice when ambient temps aren't 90 degrees.
I might go to a topper if I find a deal but for now this works.

I like that Idea. About 1" Pvc? how sturdy is it?
Could do the same with Steel or Alum Poles too.
Thanks for the thinking food!

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

I like that Idea. About 1" Pvc? how sturdy is it?
Could do the same with Steel or Alum Poles too.
Thanks for the thinking food!
Yes, it was 1 inch. It was fairly sturdy but it didn't last long (700 or so highway miles) before the joints started to flex and distort. It was just a cheap test to see if I like the concept. I did and now I've got a kodiac canvas truck tent.

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

It fits my needs better than the other options.

I still have a full sized open bed when I'm not camping, I can set up this tent faster and easier than my ground tent and it is off the ground. I can also use coolers and stuff as furniture without loading or unloading anything.

The only downside is that I had to take off my headache rack. I'm thinking with a short bed pickup it wouldn't be a problem but the ram has a 6.5 ft bed and a good sized tailgate to wrap around.

Reactions: Wilkes704

Wilkes704

Rank III

Advocate II

It fits my needs better than the other options.

I still have a full sized open bed when I'm not camping, I can set up this tent faster and easier than my ground tent and it is off the ground. I can also use coolers and stuff as furniture without loading or unloading anything.

The only downside is that I had to take off my headache rack. I'm thinking with a short bed pickup it wouldn't be a problem but the ram has a 6.5 ft bed and a good sized tailgate to wrap around.
I've got a double cab first gen tundra. I'm still trying to figure out what I want to do sleeping wise. I still need to fabricate a basket for the top.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using OB Talk mobile app

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

Have you needed a cab basket yet? I've got a hitch basket that doubles as a step mount when the tailgate is down. It is high enough off the ground I don't worry about dragging and it offers a disposable bumper if someone gets too close. It holds stuff that is automatically unloaded.

Wilkes704

Rank III

Advocate II

I already have the cross bars, and since I'm a fabricator, it's easy enough for me to make one, it's just finding time. It's just low on the priority list. I hadn't thought about a hitch basket yet though.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using OB Talk mobile app