Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Las Vegas
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Wolford
Member #

Hope I am posting in correct forum. I would like to purchase a light weight trailer to put a tent on. Getting to old to sleep on the ground and I only need enough room for 1 and a pup plus a fridge. Like to keep it as light as possible as the Jeep already gets the best gas mileage. Would also like a little suspension to tow off road when needed. Thanks for any input.

Welding Goats

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Midland, TX, USA
First Name
Ronn
Last Name
Reeger
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRXB227
Take a look at this offering in these forums and see if it might work for you.

Dustinfromohio

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Wooster, OH, USA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Parsons
Mike, I picked up a Bantam T3C trailer earlier this year for $500. It needs work but is the perfect size/weight (400ish lbs)for a TJ and can be modded however you want. IMG_1981.JPGIMG_2076.JPG

Reactions: GRIMGPR

Dustinfromohio

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Wooster, OH, USA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Parsons
I will be swapping the axle this winter but mostly because I want brakes and matching lug pattern to my Jeep. I priced them for around $285ish locally. You could keep the stock axle and do a spring over though and be fine

Reactions: GRIMGPR

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

I'm too old for the ground too. But I hate setting up, tearing down, packing a wet tent so I built an OSB BOX with a full size bed. I love it, zero setup. Park roll into bed. Wake up to rain? Roll out of bed, drive away.

DSC_0057.jpeg

I used a 5x10 open trailer. 5x8 would work too. This goes anywhere I can drive my TJR.
If you have the trailer, you can build it for $800.00.
And I flipped & spun the axle for spring over.

Take off the box, and the trailer is fully functional.
trlr 017.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: GRIMGPR and Road

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Mine started out as a Bantam. Small water tank, RTT,....ect. Fully loaded I'm right at 1500 lbs. I built it for my TJ. No problems even on harder 4wd trails. I'm at work so I cant post a pic.

Mike Wolford

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Las Vegas
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Wolford
Member #

Would definitely like to see pictures when you have time. Considering just going back to roof rack and tent based on the price of trailers out there

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

A few considerations.
Longer wheelbase/tongue will make reversing easier.
On width, try to keep the width at least equal to the TJ width, being able to see it in both mirrors also helps backing up.
And matching the TJ track is nice for rutted trails, or just straddling rocks & holes.

Obviously yours will be skinny, but when going bigger with any trailer behind any tow vehicle, it saves $$ and headaches if the trailer is no wider than the vehicle so the stock mirrors will work..... and be legal.

Dustinfromohio

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Wooster, OH, USA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Parsons
Mine started out as a Bantam. Small water tank, RTT,....ect. Fully loaded I'm right at 1500 lbs. I built it for my TJ. No problems even on harder 4wd trails. I'm at work so I cant post a pic.
Would love to see a build sheet, couple of us on the forum are building bantams right now.

Mike Wolford

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Las Vegas
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Wolford
Member #

Has anyone tried a RTT on a TJ? Possibly one of the new low profile clam shell to keep drag down. Can you still take it off road with the weight

RiptydRick

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fontana, CA, USA
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Lebel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ6TJR
C31557B8-4900-4E81-9572-E9EF2B83F0D5.jpeg

Home built, bought almost all of the trailer components a Tractor Supply Co. or Harbor Freight.
2 tool bikes bolted back to back, simple frame, leaf springs and an axle. Have not weighed it but I can move it around fully loaded, tongue weight around 75 pounds

Reactions: Dustinfromohio

Dustinfromohio

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Wooster, OH, USA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Parsons
Has anyone tried a RTT on a TJ? Possibly one of the new low profile clam shell to keep drag down. Can you still take it off road with the weight
It’s doable but you’ll need a rack and it doesn’t solve the problem of where you put everything else. It also raises your center of gravity which isn’t great for off camber trails and increases wind resistance on the highway.

Mike Wolford

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Las Vegas
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Wolford
Member #

I was thinking the rack and the clam shell tent would not have as much drag.

If you consider selling let me know just down the street in Vegas

Reactions: RiptydRick