Rank I

Enthusiast I

Colorado, USA
First Name
Alex
Last Name
Blair
Hey All,

I’m looking at a mounted GPS for inside the truck. Stuck between the Garmin Overlander and the Garmin Zumo XT. Does anyone have experience with either one of these GPS devices? Or have suggestions for any others? Not completely sold on these two they’ve just been the most common I’ve seen.

Mtnmn99

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chamberlain, SD, USA
First Name
paul
Last Name
piazza
Member #

Depending on if you want a communications device as well. If you do I would look at the Garmin 700I series. I use a Garmin 66I with an Overlander. I love my setup, but the 700I was not available. I came from using a Garmin 650 Montero. If given the choice again I would have chosen the 700I because of costs.

Happy to answer any questions.

Reactions: DavidD

Frdmskr

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Ashburn, Virginia, United States
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Sullivan
Member #

Hey All,

I’m looking at a mounted GPS for inside the truck. Stuck between the Garmin Overlander and the Garmin Zumo XT. Does anyone have experience with either one of these GPS devices? Or have suggestions for any others? Not completely sold on these two they’ve just been the most common I’ve seen.
Guess I am Curious why you aren’t considering using your phone or an old tablet. With Gaia GPS or a similar software package on a phone or tablet with a GPS chip you can chug along nicely. No cell service needed other than when you download maps.

If you have an old tablet that does not have a GPS chip then the Garmin InReach or any of the Bad Elf products gets you a BT gps that works fine.

Just options to minimize cost and maximize use of things you may already have,

Good luck!

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
What do you want to use it for?

We have a Garmin GPSmap 64, and previously had (still have) a Colorado 300. We use them to know where we are (as in - 11 km further to reach the river, if there are no more fallen trees across the track) and not for navigation, we load appropriate maps (T4A, etc.). For navigation we use the iPhone (if there's a signal), maps.me (if there isn't), pdf maps on the iPad (ITMB usually), paper maps (in places like game parks), and ask the way from locals when appropriate.

Cypress

Rank V

Off-Road Ranger I

Goose Creek, SC, USA
First Name
Allen
Last Name
Murray
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJY639
Onroad, I use a 7" Garmin and keep it up to date.

Offroad I use an 8" Samsung tablet and GAIA.

That gives me a little bit of redundancy and GAIA maps are top-notch and sync across all my platforms. I can do my planning on the desktop and it automatically syncs to my phone and tablet.

NotGumby

Local Expert Germany
Investor

Influencer II

Frankfurt, Germany
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Voth
Member #

Service Branch
Army Veteran 11B 54E
I used a Garmin Oregon 450 for many years for off road and hiking. I ditched it a few years ago and now use Maps.me and google maps. If I need to plan longer routes, I’ll import free OSM maps into Garmin’s basecamp, plot the routes, export the route in KML and import into Maps.me.

It’s all free.

dweezil

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Meadview, AZ, USA
First Name
james
Last Name
stoops
forgive me if this is a duplicate response; it is possible to side-load the gaia gps apk on an overlander device, i think it's the best of both worlds.
the overlander device is quite robust, the gaia gps software is excellent.
it is very simple to install the gaia gps apk on the overlander.
you can then select which software you wish to use (you can run; drive, explore, or gaia, but only one at a time)
the overlander uses the "android" operating system, google "android side-loading" to learn how to do it.
gaia offers the apk for downloading on their website.
i use the overlander off-roading on a side-by-side, the overlander device is robust enuff to resist water, dust and vibration, better than most tablets, etc.

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
I've run gaia on a Nexus w/gps for a few years. Last week I was gifted a Garmin Overlander, so far I love it. It is paired with my inreach, very intuitive to use.

Reactions: Mtnmn99

enjoitheride

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Ohio, USA
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
W
Member #

Hey All,

I’ve been running the Overlander for some time now. Switched from using an iPad mini and Gaia. I really like the Overlander. I’ve used it on some big trips so far, and it hasn’t let me down. The ease of use, coupled with the built in features, make it a nice all in one device.

Reactions: Mtnmn99

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

This has me intrigued. I love GaiaGPS. To be honest, the iPad reliability has me wondering if a dedicated device might be better. Yes, it’s great having one device that can do soooo much. However, I’ve had apps crash on regular occasions, but the navigation system in my vehicle has never glitched out. It may not give the quickest route, but it won’t stop running like an app on an iPad might !

Is GaiaGPS on one of these devices as stable as the navigation system in that device itself- or do things go south when you start adding third party software?

dweezil

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Meadview, AZ, USA
First Name
james
Last Name
stoops
i use the device for off roading, on a side by side. dust, rain, vibration are common. i like the garmin-overlander device, it is bullet proof. i am not fond of the garmin software on the overlander. (i have used several garmin hand held devices and like them all).
but the garmin software on the overlander wastes a lot of the screen "real estate" on useless borders. i even purchased a phablet to run gaia, but the environment is hostile. loading gaia on the overlander does not disable garmin-drive or garmin-explore, you just can't use gaia and garmin simultaneously. under the garmin software the overlander is running android. let me know if you want the steps i used to side load gaia.
regards.
d.

Reactions: Tundracamper

dweezil

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Meadview, AZ, USA
First Name
james
Last Name
stoops
to answer your question about app stability,
i generally carry a spare device or two; overlander with gaia, samsung tab active-3 with gaia, one or two cell phones with gaia and google maps, and a garmin montanna.
i don't use my garmin watch or handheld c-60 anymore, it is over kill imho.
i have on occasion referred to multiple devices, but only rarely, and mostly because i had not paid for the gaia subscription, a good deal looking back.
i can offer that i have not observed a crash on the overlander device, either with the oem garmin apps (drive & explore) or gaia gps.
the overlander runs the android operating system, a pretty stable OS.
the overlander does not have a bunch of overlapping apps running simultaneously, which i think can cause issues.
tho i think it wise to have a backup for all mission critical needs.

to install gaia on the overlander is easy, removing it probably requires a "factory reset" not sure, just my guess.
1. google search "gaia gps apk" and download the file.
2. connect your overlander to your PC using the usb ports on each device.
3. on your PC use your file manager to transfer the apk file to the overlander, i put the file in the "download" folder on the overlander.
note, i can't remember for certain, but i am pretty sure the overlander will seek permission to initiate the file transfer.
4. unmount the overlander (remove) from your PC.
5. open the file manager in the tools menu, select file manager, browse to download folder, select/open the apk file.
6. after a moment, you will asked "do you want to install gaia app" or words to that effect.
7. gaia icon will appear in the tool menu and you can place a copy of the gaia icon on the home screen.

enjoy.

Reactions: Tundracamper

kowboy17

Rank II

Enthusiast I

NC
First Name
Clint
Last Name
Honeyraptor
Member #

Question; (opinions welcomed!)
First off, love Garmin products and have many (I bow elk hunt deep and use the navigation a lot) but wondering why would someone buy the Overlander vs an Ipad etc, that can do so much more when not navigating and in reality for only a couple hundred bucks more or in some cases, several hundred dollars cheaper? Since most of the navigation is done 'in the cab', I'm not seeing the 'hostile environment' issue really......being much of an issue. I can see using the ipad for nav plus watching a movie when arriving etc and as an example.

thoughts?

thanks for the responses upfront!

dweezil

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Meadview, AZ, USA
First Name
james
Last Name
stoops
the overlander device is more rugged than most tablets, except for military grade tablets that cost much more than an overlander.
the overlander may not be well suited to your use-case, bow hunting, the battery life is pretty limited, the magnetic mount is suited to a vehicle mount, and it's kinda big for a pocket.
i use mine off road, in a side by side. the side by side environment, is wet, dusty and a lot of vibration. not tablet friendly.
good luck.

kowboy17

Rank II

Enthusiast I

NC
First Name
Clint
Last Name
Honeyraptor
Member #

the overlander device is more rugged than most tablets, except for military grade tablets that cost much more than an overlander.
the overlander may not be well suited to your use-case, bow hunting, the battery life is pretty limited, the magnetic mount is suited to a vehicle mount, and it's kinda big for a pocket.
i use mine off road, in a side by side. the side by side environment, is wet, dusty and a lot of vibration. not tablet friendly.
good luck.
Agree on the hunting side ( wouldn't use it for that, just saying that I'm familar with Garmin etc) but I can see the Overlander being a great option on SxS's. Thanks

Mtnmn99

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chamberlain, SD, USA
First Name
paul
Last Name
piazza
Member #

Hey All,

Guess I am Curious why you aren’t considering using your phone or an old tablet. With Gaia GPS or a similar software package on a phone or tablet with a GPS chip you can chug along nicely. No cell service needed other than when you download maps.

If you have an old tablet that does not have a GPS chip then the Garmin InReach or any of the Bad Elf products gets you a BT gps that works fine.

Just options to minimize cost and maximize the use of things you may already have,

Good luck!
I considered it. I use a 66I Inreach when I hike hunt. A Overlander in my Jeep. I did not like downloading maps layers etc. Also, I like the option to link my Garmin in I reach.

That said I do use Gaia to load routes and plan my trips. Scout and load routs.

It comes down to personal preferences.

James.Laidlaw

US MidWest Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Maineville, OH, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Laidlaw
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC7LTK
Hey All,

Just options to minimize cost and maximize use of things you may already have,

Good luck!
I think it all depends on your specific needs. I like having something a little more versatile which is why I chose the Garmin InReach Mini. When traveling via vehicle, I have it Bluetoothed to Gia on my iPad Air or iPad mini. When I am performing backcountry activities such as skiing, hiking, kayaking away from the vehicle, it is Bluetoothed to Gia on my iPhone. As a dad and son to an elderly mother, I like the SOS functions as well as off-grid messaging it allows me when there is no cell service in the event of an emergency or needed check in.

James - OB 0539

Reactions: kowboy17