Best deep cycle battery's

• HTML tutorial

Nig

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

WI
Member #

I run an Optima yellow top. It's been good so far (5yrs) but I don't beat it up with hard drains. I plan on going to dual batteries this year, and will most likely stick with optima.

shoredreamer

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Santa Cruz
First Name
Chris
Last Name
RRU
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6AZV
Northstar AGM starting battery
Die Hard Gold AGM (East Penn) house battery

Reactions: jawkDNA

Gabriel

Rank 0

Contributor I

I run a Northstar, got it from a buddy who worked at a battery shop for cost. Those things are badass, they're what the Cops run there lights, radios and equipments on all night long.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

Cheapo Exide class 27 deep cycle. I was running the dual purpose but kept having to replace them every two years with heavy and regular use. The new one is a proper deep cycle, 105 amps @ 20 hr capacity.

Why cheap out on such an important piece?

I'm also designated power in my group so I've got a 4k peak watt dual fuel generator. Even though the generator has a 10 amp 12v circuit, I also keep a 2/8 amp battery charger/maintainer onboard for when the generator is running. I learned that lesson after the 10A circuit boiled my dual purpose battery last summer.

For reference, could everyone put the capacity of the battery they are using?
Preferably in xx amps @ 20 hours

RealMcCoy

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Rhode Island
Member #

Thanks guys for all the info. I have heard bad things about the optima. I heard good things about northstar. I was also looking at Fullriver -Full throttle battery's. They look good on the internet but haven't found anyone that has used them. I wasn't going to go cheep. I don't want to end up with no power in the middle of nowhere. I would like to buy the best. I was going to buy 2. Group 25 for a starting battery and group 31 as a house battery. With a VSR separating them.

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

Dual Odyssey AGM batteries here. Would be running Diehards for a bit less money but they are hard to find in New Mexico. Ordered mine from Amazon.
We read too many complaints about the Optima batteries failing since they moved to Mexico. The Odyssey batteries have a proven track record and have served us well so far under heavy usage.

Colorado Yeti

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Fort Collins, Colorado
Member #

On a similar note, do any of you have experience with these batteries starting in very cold situations? I live in Colorado and many of my vehicle starts are done below 20 degrees and sometimes in the 0 to -10 degree range. Right now, my setup is fairly basic (auxiliary lights, radio). At some point, I will likely have an air compressor, but I do not plan on having a fridge setup. My overlanding trips are only a few days long at this point. Do I stick with a more standard battery or should I consider a deep cycle?

RealMcCoy

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Rhode Island
Member #

On a similar note, do any of you have experience with these batteries starting in very cold situations? I live in Colorado and many of my vehicle starts are done below 20 degrees and sometimes in the 0 to -10 degree range. Right now, my setup is fairly basic (auxiliary lights, radio). At some point, I will likely have an air compressor, but I do not plan on having a fridge setup. My overlanding trips are only a few days long at this point. Do I stick with a more standard battery or should I consider a deep cycle?
I would go with a deep cycle. Spend some time watching some YouTube videos you should start to see how far the deep cycles have come. They should have no trouble starting in cold weather.

Reactions: Colorado Yeti

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Northstar / X2 from batteries plus

BCBrian

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Boulder Creek, CA
Member #

My research kept taking me to the Odyssey so that is what I sprung for. 4 Wheel Parts has them and sometimes runs a special on them. Give your local auto parts store a chance to match the price and give them some support. That's what I did and it saved a trip to the city.

Colorado Yeti

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Fort Collins, Colorado
Member #

What made you choose the Odyssey over the Northstar? Did you uncover any advantages of disadvantages of one or the other? I'm just beginning researching deep cycles, so I apologize if this is a silly question.

Last edited:

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
I think regardless of the battery choice, it's a good idea to keep them/it on a trickle charge that does a maintenance pulse like the newer chargers do. I feel like I have stretched out battery life by doing this, and I have two batteries, one for the vehicle and one for the "house" much as others do.

I have had a Sears "Odyssey" for over 4 years and another 2nd battery that is not that old. I don't think Sears sells them anymore.
My '80 is not currently my daily driver so it usually goes several days to a week before it gets driven or started, so by the maintenance charge it keeps them alive and desulphated.

I also have an Antigravity microstart XP-1 jumper that I keep in the door pocket. I've never had to use it on my own car, but I've used it more than a couple times on other cars. I have this for peace of mind, feeling like if both my batteries were to die, at least I could get my car started.

boss324

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tracy California
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Castro
Member #

Usually run for hard AGM/platinum battery however just went with the Optima yellow top. I figured with all the electronics and gadgets I run the Optima yellow would be the way to go.