Benchmark Atlas

• HTML tutorial

grapeismurder

Rank 0

Contributor I

Does anyone have any good storage ideas for about ten Benchmark Maps Atlas'? along with some map tools and other navi related gear? The atlas' are such an odd size, I'm having a hard time finding a box to keep them in.

*Edit: I should have included the size; the atlas' are 16"x12"

-Thanks for any advice

Last edited:
Reactions: Ubiety

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Does anyone have any good storage ideas for about ten Benchmark Maps Atlas'? along with some map tools and other navi related gear? The atlas' are such an odd size, I'm having a hard time finding a box to keep them in.

-Thanks for any advice
Have no idea what size you need but Pelican makes a lot of different sized cases.

Reactions: grapeismurder

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
I wonder if you could find appropriately sized Tupperware which would seal and keep things dry? Roll your own box with corrugated plastic sheet? Food storage aisle at Walmart/Target might yield something? Saw some plastic organization bins at Home Depot, wonder if they have one in correct size whose internal dividers could be removed? Toolbox kind of thing?

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Greg,

I think you are on to something. I have been looking to try and incorporate an actual tiered tool box into my build. Dedicating a drawer to map tools is not a stretch in my book. Thanks.
Excellent! More minds are better! I have a (too) large wheeled toolbox that holds a deep cycle battery, charger, solar panels and a nest for device charging with usb/12v connections. This leaves an unused level in the box where I stuff all kinds of electrical doo-dads for use at camp; could put other things on that level but electrical bits are a good fit.

BTW - thanks for getting me interest in the Benchmark Atlas! Have a trip planned to Nevada later in the year; think I’ll pick on up for Nevada and for my home state of Washington.

Reactions: grapeismurder

justjohnthomas

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Orofino, Idaho
Member #

I keep my benchmark size maps and other maps etc in a semisoft laptop carrying bag. Have some headrest hooks that fit the handle and hang on the back of my drivers seat. Allows easy access as i also make out some trips with a highlighter as we go.

Reactions: 1Louder and Ubiety

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I keep my benchmark size maps and other maps etc in a semisoft laptop carrying bag. Have some headrest hooks that fit the handle and hang on the back of my drivers seat. Allows easy access as i also make out some trips with a highlighter as we go.
Same here. Old laptop bag. Recycle, reuse.. done

_snakeskin_

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Castaic, California
First Name
alec
Last Name
wallis
Member #

try looking up seahorse cases if you're going for a hard case or even the harbor freight replica of the pelican cases if you have one in your area. same exact designs and functionality with 1/3 of the price tag :) i run both of those cases for my work equipment ( NVGs, laptops, rifles, pistols, etc etc)

xplorr

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reno, NV
Member #

Try searching amazon for "17.3 laptop bag". You might find something suitable there for under $20.

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
I got my maps and deLorme and such in an expandable garment type bag, it has like 4 flaps that lay over the center (like an end of a box) and has adjustable clips, holds everything, easy to grab when i need it out of the jeep and cost me 3 bucks at the thrift store. I got the idea from @Michael watching one of his videos.....

Jim

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

I got my maps and deLorme and such in an expandable garment type bag, it has like 4 flaps that lay over the center (like an end of a box) and has adjustable clips, holds everything, easy to grab when i need it out of the jeep and cost me 3 bucks at the thrift store. I got the idea from @Michael watching one of his videos.....

Jim
I did the same. I also ordered mine in green color so It stands out in all the gear in a fully packed cab. Easier to find.

GatorDoc

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Norton Shores, MI
First Name
butt
Last Name
hole
Member #

Blue Ridge Overland Gear makes a "Trip Planning Bag" for just such a purpose. Its not cheap, but they have a reputation for quality gear, so maybe it's worth it.

Hopefully the video link works in the app:

Reactions: RainGoat

Jibs

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Reno
First Name
Jibs
Last Name
Lundemo
Member #

I just duct tape the corners and edges of mine and keep them on my front seat as I'm always pulling them out and looking at them. I try not to take the same road twice unless I have to, so I'm always looking at them. I find that one fits in between the seat and the center console too on most cars I've driven.

flyfisher117

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Idaho
First Name
John
Last Name
Hansen
Member #

Not sure if this is deep enough but I really like these boxes. I have started using them for a lot of stuff because of their form factor, water proofness, and cost. The cheesy "ammo crate" sticker can quickly be peeled off and leaves no residue.

EDIT Looks like they may be just too small for your needs. I knew they were close...

MTM Dry Box

Last edited:

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Not sure if this is deep enough but I really like these boxes. I have started using them for a lot of stuff because of their form factor, water proofness, and cost. The cheesy "ammo crate" sticker can quickly be peeled off and leaves no residue.

EDIT Looks like they may be just too small for your needs. I knew they were close...

MTM Dry Box
Those are nice! Thanks for pointing them out. Hmmm, now to figure out what I need to get some for ;)

Reactions: flyfisher117

flyfisher117

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Idaho
First Name
John
Last Name
Hansen
Member #

Those are nice! Thanks for pointing them out. Hmmm, now to figure out what I need to get some for ;)
Yeah I just saw it while browsing the local farm and ranch store and thought that it was neat for being under $20. Grabbed one to carry our personal hygiene supplies in and have fallen in love. Much easier to find what we need and they are still small enough that you could take them with you into a rest room, shower, etc. Ours spent 5 days in Oregon rain and everything was dry so I am happy.

RainGoat

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Redmond, WA, USA
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Blue Ridge Overland Gear makes a "Trip Planning Bag" for just such a purpose. Its not cheap, but they have a reputation for quality gear, so maybe it's worth it.
It's also worth noting that there are countless "messenger" bags that fit the paper atlases for $5 or so at Goodwill. My "trip planning bag" is just such a marketing item my wife had lying around the house. Fits my DeLorme & Benchmark Atlases, Roadside Geology Books, etc. plus pen and other things perfectly.

Reactions: m_lars and Ubiety