Launch Member

Pathfinder I

West-flanders (Belgium)
First Name
Wouter
Last Name
Parmentier
Member #

Hi, this summer we ( my girlfriend me and our dog)
IMG-20180405-WA0020.jpg
Are planning to do a trip to the Baltic States and scandinavia.
It would be Nice to get some feedback from the locals to where to go , what to visit (must see, like not only the toristic places but the things onley locals knouw) what to eat and who to meet ;)
It also would be Nice to meet some of you or have a little het together one night camping event or something :)
So yeah
Would love to hear from you guys and girls !
Best regards !
Wouter

landyandy4x4

Rank V
Launch Member

Explorer I

Hebden Bridge, UK
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Healey
Member #

View attachment 103718
It would be Nice to get some feedback from the locals to where to go , what to visit (must see, like not only the toristic places but the things onley locals knouw) what to eat and who to meet ;)
It also would be Nice to meet some of you or have a little het together one night camping event or something :)
So yeah
Best regards !
Wouter
Yes we'll be in Finland on the 10 th of August heading north to Norcap might see you on the road.

Reactions: Polaris Overland

WouterP

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

West-flanders (Belgium)
First Name
Wouter
Last Name
Parmentier
Member #

Are you going through Poland also?
Yes we are.
Just Passing treu i think.
We Will do a separate trip just for Poland in te next years.
But there mabey is some time to meet our see some beautifull places of it's not to far off the route :)

PixxLu

Rank III
Launch Member

Traveler III

Gliwice, Poland
Member #

I assume you'll be going through northern PL, so depending what's your interest I'd suggest following:
1. if you like wild camping, and lakes, there are Drawski Park Krajobrazowy, and further east: Mazury, beautiful places to experience nature, but stay out of the bigger towns, and in Mazury focus not on biggest lakes usually crowded by boats as there is something like: big lakes trail, which is basically full of marinas and party oriented attractions.
2. If you like architecture, Gdansk would be an obvious city to visit, but if travelling further south, there is not that big city of Torun, which is amazing.
3. There is a big attraction medieval fortress Malbork with few hour tours also.
4. For more sea oriented attractions, Hel is the place to experience some kitesurfing and beaches, but be aware that during weekends and specially weekends in summer, the road there cloggs a little bit. There are many options to experience the sea, more and less expensive, just avoid Mielno, which is like a party stop for young from nerby Koszalin :) apart of that you can find some secluded areas also.
I'm based on the far south of Poland, so the north is not something I've experienced a lot, but if you have any general questions let me know ;) Have fun.

Reactions: MazeVX

WouterP

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

West-flanders (Belgium)
First Name
Wouter
Last Name
Parmentier
Member #

I assume you'll be going through northern PL, so depending what's your interest I'd suggest following:
1. if you like wild camping, and lakes, there are Drawski Park Krajobrazowy, and further east: Mazury, beautiful places to experience nature, but stay out of the bigger towns, and in Mazury focus not on biggest lakes usually crowded by boats as there is something like: big lakes trail, which is basically full of marinas and party oriented attractions.
2. If you like architecture, Gdansk would be an obvious city to visit, but if travelling further south, there is not that big city of Torun, which is amazing.
3. There is a big attraction medieval fortress Malbork with few hour tours also.
4. For more sea oriented attractions, Hel is the place to experience some kitesurfing and beaches, but be aware that during weekends and specially weekends in summer, the road there cloggs a little bit. There are many options to experience the sea, more and less expensive, just avoid Mielno, which is like a party stop for young from nerby Koszalin :) apart of that you can find some secluded areas also.
I'm based on the far south of Poland, so the north is not something I've experienced a lot, but if you have any general questions let me know ;) Have fun.
Thanks for al the info.
We love to wildcamp, so we could stop er the lakes you said.
And the girlfrend loved old ruïnes and architecturen ( in fact she is An interior designer ) So the medieval Fortress and Torun are also good options.
I think we Will have a lot of sea to see in the Baltic States and scandinavia, so we Will probably not go to the polisch sea.

If we do a decent tour in Poland, it would be Nice to meet you .
But that Will not be in the first year(s) i think.

WouterP

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

West-flanders (Belgium)
First Name
Wouter
Last Name
Parmentier
Member #

Hi, our plans changed a lot, we Will enter Poland today, somewhere near Chocholów and then go up to swinoujscie somewhere in the next 2 weeks.
If you have any recomendatios, i'm pleased to hear them :)
Perhaps we can have a meet. Somewhere ?

Wranglervirus

Local Expert North/East Europe

Advocate III

Žuvų gatvė 9-2, Šakiai, 47412 Lithuania
First Name
Tomas
Last Name
Karlonas
Member #

View attachment 103718
So yeah
Best regards !
Wouter
Hello, i’m based in Lithuania, Kaunas. There is some great places to see in Lithuania. But also need to know you expectation are you interesting inly wild or also some city visits; it would be nice to camp one day!

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
We covered a small part of the area on a short trip in 2018, have a look at Summer in (some of) Western Europe: catching up with friends and family and you might find some ideas for some places you'll visitScreen Shot 2021-02-17 at 15.13.06.png.
It was not a single "overlanding" trip - it was a combination of flights (into Europe, from Stockholm to Stavanger, and from Stavanger to London), and train (London to Brussels), however we did drive from Brussels through Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany, Denmark, and Sweden.

We'll plan on a bigger trip as soon as is practical - probably Norway-Finland- Estonia-Latvia-Lithuania-Poland-Germany, perhaps starting and ending in UK, Belgium, or Germany. So, we look forward to following your trip to get some ideas as well.