Beginning a build

• HTML tutorial

NCTaco90

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

North Carolina
Member #

Hey every body! So I am going to start building out my 2018 Tacoma and just looking for some direction on where to start. I have been camping since I was little but very new to overloading and it can be a little overwhelming. Any advice on some of the first upgrades I should do?? Thank you for any advice and look forward to hearing from everybody!!

RedRob

Rank V

Traveler III

Sonora, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Irwin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6VUL
Service Branch
USMC
Sliders first.

David C Gibbs

Rank VI

Member III

Boise, Idaho
First Name
David
Last Name
Gibbs
Member #

Reality First... Determine what and where you want the truck to go. Where and how you're going to camp. What activities you're going to do, while in camp (Flyfishing, Mtn Biking, Climbing, Hiking, etc). All these things matter, before you spend your first dime. Take 100% of all your camping stuff and determine it's weight.

Actually, I had the great pleasure to attend Mario Donovan's talk on build rigs, and Clay's talk on there build of the Tundra. I'd go out to Expedition Overland and watch Clay's "Builds" - then visit AT Overland Equipment and read the Conversions tab on Scott Brady's build out. http://adventuretrailers.com/conversions/

Lots of pre-buying thinking needs to be done:
* Cargo securement
* Power Systems
* Lighting
* Cooking & Food Preservation
* Water Storage
* Sleeping arrangements
* Shade & Shelter
* Gross Vehicle weight

The biggest takeaway from both Mario's and Clay's talks was: "Go, Repair, Refine" "Act on it, Reset" and both said two first purchases - a Great Air compressor and a Fridge/Freezer... The 2nd biggest takeaway was to pare-down the stuff, and determine the needs... DG

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Throw in your camping gear and take off don't worry about building a vehicle make sure you want to use it for overlanding in the first place, scratches will probably happen your interior will probably get dirty, getting lost is always a possibility or stuck or break something. Make friends with someone or find someone in this group it's in your area to go out with to help learn the in and outs of what stuff you probably really need compared to the stuff you think you might need

chuckoverland

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Spokane, WA
Member #

One of the first things we did was a Prinsu Cabrack. Our Tacoma is shortbed and with the Yakima Bedrock rack that our tent is on the bed fills up quick so extra storage up top helps. Also prinsu makes really solid awning mounts that are easy to remove when the truck is in daily driver mode.
Also they are a good bit cheaper than most other racks and install was easy.

RedRob

Rank V

Traveler III

Sonora, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Irwin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6VUL
Service Branch
USMC
Okay, maybe I was being a little simplistic. Or maybe I wasn’t. I agree with Smileyshaun, but I stand by my advice as well.

Your actions will be based on the balance you feel comfortable with between your priorities and your budget. Your priorities should be determined by informed foresight about what you “need” to do what you want to do and using vigilance to not try to solve problems you don’t actually have.

My highest priority was not gear to camp with. That I had covered. My highest priority was avoiding the type of trail damage I was likely to face.

I am inclined to believe that my priorities should be everybody else’s, but of course that’s a false assumption. People are allowed to make their own priorities. But I respectfully disagree with the suggestions that what I see as expensive luxuries like a great compressor and a fridge or a roof rack are at the top of the list, and that’s the nicest way I can think of to say that.

Reactions: MichLC_2000

NCTaco90

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

North Carolina
Member #

Okay, maybe I was being a little simplistic. Or maybe I wasn’t. I agree with Smileyshaun, but I stand by my advice as well.

Your actions will be based on the balance you feel comfortable with between your priorities and your budget. Your priorities should be determined by informed foresight about what you “need” to do what you want to do and using vigilance to not try to solve problems you don’t actually have.

My highest priority was not gear to camp with. That I had covered. My highest priority was avoiding the type of trail damage I was likely to face.

I am inclined to believe that my priorities should be everybody else’s, but of course that’s a false assumption. People are allowed to make their own priorities. But I respectfully disagree with the suggestions that what I see as expensive luxuries like a great compressor and a fridge or a roof rack are at the top of the list, and that’s the nicest way I can think of to say that.

I agree with you...I do just have stock road tires so I will probably get better tires then just go from there with what I need and makes the most sense for what we will be doing. I defiantly plan on making trips

Reactions: RedRob

David C Gibbs

Rank VI

Member III

Boise, Idaho
First Name
David
Last Name
Gibbs
Member #

. But I respectfully disagree with the suggestions that what I see as expensive luxuries like a great compressor and a fridge or a roof rack are at the top of the list, and that’s the nicest way I can think of to say that.
RedRob, That's your right to do.
However, I was reporting Mario's and Clay's opinion - was just that, reporting. Now I'll share my opinion. 98% of most Overlanders, fall into the "Weekend Warrior" class - out early Friday Evening, Wheeling-Fishing-Just Camping, Back home on Sunday afternoon, put stuff away. Clay and Mario have spent WEEKS in their vehicles, 100's of miles off highway. The Air Compressor is a safety tool. It allows you to properly air down your tires for traction, and to operate a ratchet if you have to change a blown tire. We have had the opportunity to use a Dometic 50Qt Fridge/Freezer, but we recently bought a Marine Class cooler, because we are still thinking about the next steps. Overland Expo West screwed with our heads, Northwest Overland Rally helped us get re-grounded.

NCTaco90 - GO, BE, DO, and then Recap. What did you take that you didn't use, Is it necessary? First Aid Kit, Check - stays in the vehicle, Chain-saw in August, nope it stays home. It's about balance, taking what you need and being prepaid to deal with where you're going, doing, being - and returning home safe. The Mrs & I bought the 88 62 Series LandCruiser to get us home. It has 300K Original Owner miles on it. It's been to Moab, Rocky Mountains, Yellowstone, Yosemite, Glacier, 100's of 1000's miles off highway. As a Fly-fisher the LC gets us into places you can't take a full-size Truck or Camper into. Simple, it's about the Journey, not the destination. DG

Reactions: RedRob

NCTaco90

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

North Carolina
Member #

RedRob, That's your right to do.
However, I was reporting Mario's and Clay's opinion - was just that, reporting. Now I'll share my opinion. 98% of most Overlanders, fall into the "Weekend Warrior" class - out early Friday Evening, Wheeling-Fishing-Just Camping, Back home on Sunday afternoon, put stuff away. Clay and Mario have spent WEEKS in their vehicles, 100's of miles off highway. The Air Compressor is a safety tool. It allows you to properly air down your tires for traction, and to operate a ratchet if you have to change a blown tire. We have had the opportunity to use a Dometic 50Qt Fridge/Freezer, but we recently bought a Marine Class cooler, because we are still thinking about the next steps. Overland Expo West screwed with our heads, Northwest Overland Rally helped us get re-grounded.

NCTaco90 - GO, BE, DO, and then Recap. What did you take that you didn't use, Is it necessary? First Aid Kit, Check - stays in the vehicle, Chain-saw in August, nope it stays home. It's about balance, taking what you need and being prepaid to deal with where you're going, doing, being - and returning home safe. The Mrs & I bought the 88 62 Series LandCruiser to get us home. It has 300K Original Owner miles on it. It's been to Moab, Rocky Mountains, Yellowstone, Yosemite, Glacier, 100's of 1000's miles off highway. As a Fly-fisher the LC gets us into places you can't take a full-size Truck or Camper into. Simple, it's about the Journey, not the destination. DG
Yea this is true. I will be in that weekend warrior category which is fine! I just want to create some memories with my family and keep my kids from sitting in front of a tv playing video games. This being said I know myself and will end up building out a rig eventually as money (and my wife) allow

Reactions: YF_Ryan

RedRob

Rank V

Traveler III

Sonora, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Irwin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6VUL
Service Branch
USMC
Well, someone I respect once said “You have no right to your opinion.” He was talking about people with very little experience arguing with people with a lot of experience. I’m the inexperienced one here - and I mean that with utmost sincerity.

David and NCTaco90, a Kobalt inflator and a Coleman cooler have gotten me a lot of miles. Take that for what you will, but take it somewhere. Outfit and explore.

But now, David, now to the real question, which you can answer here, or maybe start a new post and PM me when you do - “Overland Expo West screwed with our heads, Northwest Overland Rally helped us get re-grounded.“ Crap! I was going to try to make it to OEW. Am I just going to come away wanting to buy more stuff?

David C Gibbs

Rank VI

Member III

Boise, Idaho
First Name
David
Last Name
Gibbs
Member #

RedRob, NCTaco90...
The Mrs and I had the intent to make a couple buying decisions on a Vehicle and Kitter. We had been leaning to the Mercedes 4X4 Sprinter, with Aluminess Bumpers Front & Rear, 12000 Lbs Winch, etc. After having driven two different Ford Transit's both the EcoBoost and Turbo Diesel - I talked with the folks at Quigley. After 3 Days at OEW, we walked away with most questions, and the need to develop a "Near Term Plam" "A Mid-Term" and the "Post-retirement Process." The Mrs is at the point where sleeping on the ground is not an option. Which slows down the opportunities to get-out, I am avid Fly-fisher, and Hotels are 100's of miles where we like to go. So "Near Term" we are going to look for and purchase either a GX470 V8 or the "Unicorn" Toyota V8 4Runner, as a new builder, which will pull the Off-road Trailer. Mid-term the intent is to purchase an "Off Highway RV Trailer" like the Forest River "NoBo" or "No Boundries 16.5" or the Overkill out of Bend... This will allow us to set-up a Base camp, go explore, fish, hike, Mtn Bike, etc...with the Vehicle able to leave camp, without having to pack everything up. During the "Mid-Term" we are looking at highend, well built Super B' or Class C RV - short, no massive hang-over. It will go from the Dealer to mostly likely Quigley's - 4" Lift, 4X conversion on the Front. Winch Bumper, Solar, Super Singles to replace the Dually's. When I finally decide to retire, We intend to live in it for 9 month's at a time, traveling the rest of Canada that we haven't seen, the rest of Mexico we haven't seen and Central America to the Darien Gap. Store the Camper & Truck, fly home for 3 months. Find a shipper to move it to the top-side of the Pan America Highway. It arrives into port with Carnet a day or two after we have arrived. The next travel leg is 9 months in South America. Then ship it first to Africa, then Australia. We had planned this originally on the Mercedes Sprinter frame, easy to drive, store, ship, etc. The more we planned and did the different test run's, the more we determined that our 88 - 62 Series Land Cruiser wasn't going to make it as a tow vehicle, and that we need a slightly larger RV, that is beefed-up, to handle where we are intending to go.

We have been training for 30 years in a LandCrusier, to travel anywhere, without FEAR... Now I am looking to build something I haven't wheeled. Changing the way we have camped. Changing the thought process. That's why OEW screwed up my head. NWOR helped reground us, because we re-engaged with Mario and several other old friends... The talk with Clay and the XO team, re-cemented the need to Ham License renewed and my Medical Training refreshed and Certified. Hope this helps - where my head is... David

Reactions: Disco Patrol

RedRob

Rank V

Traveler III

Sonora, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Irwin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6VUL
Service Branch
USMC
Thanks for your very thorough answer. Good luck with all that. I’m working out of the back of a Tacoma for the foreseeable future. And nothing permanent, either. I use the whole bed frequently for hauling. So I may still go to OEW, even though I know I’ll come away wanting to buy everything I see!

Joe Baker

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Yelm, Washington
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Baker
Member #

Well, someone I respect once said “You have no right to your opinion.” He was talking about people with very little experience arguing with people with a lot of experience. I’m the inexperienced one here - and I mean that with utmost sincerity.

David and NCTaco90, a Kobalt inflator and a Coleman cooler have gotten me a lot of miles. Take that for what you will, but take it somewhere. Outfit and explore.

But now, David, now to the real question, which you can answer here, or maybe start a new post and PM me when you do - “Overland Expo West screwed with our heads, Northwest Overland Rally helped us get re-grounded.“ Crap! I was going to try to make it to OEW. Am I just going to come away wanting to buy more stuff?
My wife and I took a trip for the weekend. We loaded (and i mean we took the kitchen sink) the jeep up and away we went. When we got to the camp site we set everything up and realized we didn't need a quarter to half the stuff we brought. After going out and seeing the sites and camping every weekend for 2 months now. My wife and I figured out what was important to us. I guess what I'm trying to say is trial and error along with repetition will pay off. For your 1st couple of outings keep them close until you, YOU are comfortable in what is important to you and for the safety of you family. Now get out and explore. Make those memories with your family.

Michael did a 20 minute get out town video check it out.

Sent from my SM-G920V using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: YF_Ryan

Joe Baker

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Yelm, Washington
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Baker
Member #

Hey every body! So I am going to start building out my 2018 Tacoma and just looking for some direction on where to start. I have been camping since I was little but very new to overloading and it can be a little overwhelming. Any advice on some of the first upgrades I should do?? Thank you for any advice and look forward to hearing from everybody!!
My wife and I took a trip for the weekend. We loaded (and i mean we took the kitchen sink) the jeep up and away we went. When we got to the camp site we set everything up and realized we didn't need a quarter to half the stuff we brought. After going out and seeing the sites and camping every weekend for 2 months now. My wife and I figured out what was important to us. I guess what I'm trying to say is trial and error along with repetition will pay off. For your 1st couple of outings keep them close until you, YOU are comfortable in what is important to you and for the safety of you family. Now get out and explore. Make those memories with your family.

Michael did a 20 minute get out town video check it out.

Sent from my SM-G920V using OB Talk mobile app

YF_Ryan

Rank 0

Traveler I

Yea this is true. I will be in that weekend warrior category which is fine! I just want to create some memories with my family and keep my kids from sitting in front of a tv playing video games. This being said I know myself and will end up building out a rig eventually as money (and my wife) allow
I'm with you on the weekend warrior category. And I'm also still new at this.

I'd like to note @RedRob 's comment about sliders was the first thing I heard from my friends as well. I did a little offroading with them and decided sliders weren't necessary yet, as my stock Tacoma performed adequately beyond where I'd normally push myself (and yes, I did get some trail rash, but not bad).

As mentioned above, you need to figure out your priorities, and more importantly your family's. I've spent a lot of time gathering info and ideas but I also make sure to bounce them off my wife. She's extremely helpful in giving another perspective. She has shot down a lot of cool mods, but I can't complain since it was pretty much her idea to buy an AT Habitat.