Bed wear what do you wear when camping

• HTML tutorial

Montanaguy

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Missoula, Montana
Member #

I use a Cacoon Mummy liner, REI base layer pants and a t shirt. stay plenty warm. Switched from a mummy sleeping bag to a 30* Kelty rectangle bag and with the Cacoon which adds 10* more warmth, it's perfect for me.

krax

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

NC
Member #

Beanie hat/toque/watch cap. That'll make a pretty big difference in sleeping comfort if you're chilly.

I sleep warm, so I can get by with gym shorts and a T shirt.

For backpacking, you can carry a lighter bag and stretch the comfort range by wearing a puffy jacket and long johns, but for car camping, you may as well bring a warm bag and a thick pad/mattress.

The idea that you'll sleep warmer by stripping down is a myth, usually perpetuated by military folks.

Reactions: vegasjeepguy

dziner

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Smith
Member #

When I was camping back in September in the Finger Lakes of NY it got down into the low 40's at night. I have mummy bag that I use. The first night I wore seat pants and a long sleeve t-shirt and was still cold. The second night I stopped down to just boxers and was very warm and comfortable. Still trying to figure this out myself. I have heard that eating a bit of chocolate before bed helps to keep you warm as your body is working to digest the food. Though I believe this would also prevent you from sleeping well since your body is working instead of resting.

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

5.11 shorts or pants, Colombia long sleeve fishing shirts, LL Bean hiking socks, Timberland mid or low cut hiking boots or timberland sandals

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

15Canyon

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Edmonton
Member #

I usually go with just boxers and a t-shirt if it's above 6 degrees C. I might throw on a beanie, but once it dropped down to -5C so it was my full jeans/t-shirt and hoodie, plus a beanie and extra blanket.

If your sleeping bag is only rated down to freezing, don't try and take it in -5, you're gonna have a bad time. :tongueclosed:

Reactions: dziner

OuterLimits

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Macho Grande
Member #

I sleep cold, so I need all the help I can get.

When it gets chilly I wear vintage duofold long johns and top. It is a cotton/wool blend that is comfy and warm.

If it gets colder, I add a wool blanket on my bag, wool socks, and poly beanie.

TR

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wherever we park it will be home !!
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
On our 2016 tour of the southwest least March we experienced a couple of nightime lows down to 11 degrees. Most nights it was getting down to the higher teens and low 20s. We had brand new Big Agnes 15 degree bags atop of cold weather pads atop our cots. We froze our butts off. After 3 nights of this, we got into phone range and I called BA for some tech support. We had been wearing our long johns and it seems when you wear long johns it keeps your body from heating up the bag. Back at camp that night we stripped down to our shorts and sure enough, we stayed warm all night long, as long as we stayed atop the pads. Lesson learned.. More can be read about this lesson/adventure in the April/May issue of Toyota Trails magazine.. Take a look, as I am looking for criticism that my loved ones cannot provide. In the meantime I'll keep writing lke some deranged madman..

britz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Musselshell, Idaho
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6YTI
Yoga pants and a long t-shirt, usually a beanie in Winter. Between middle of the night fire tone-outs or running outside to scare off/dispatch livestock predators, I just always wear something I can fly out of bed in. It just carries over on the trail. I carry 15F degree bags May-Sept and -30F bags Oct-April. I've never been cold.

britz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Musselshell, Idaho
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6YTI
that would work, the yoga pants aren't very thermal are they? That is what my wife wears a lot of the time
For some reason my legs never get cold, I wear them snowshoeing even. But then again I'm from Northern MN, so it may be a nordic thing. But with a -30F bag I've never been cold sleeping.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wherever we park it will be home !!
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Hmmm, -30 bag.. now that is a sleeping bag! But you're right about the cold. It's all about what we, our parents, our grandparents and all the way back, are acclimated to. We may very well be relocating to a much cooler climate than here in Pa. I'm good till down around 10 to 15. Lower than zero though? Not bad, however, I have been in -42, and that is nothing to play with. Hmmmm, a Nordic Viking in Yoga pants.. Ahhhh,, I don't wanna see that.. :)

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Shorts, maybe at t-shirt. I learned my lesson on layering in a sleeping bag. Your body heat can't get to the bag to start it insulating properly. Coldest I've been in so far is high teens, low twenties *F and I don't care to be in much colder.

britz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Musselshell, Idaho
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6YTI
Hmmm, -30 bag.. now that is a sleeping bag! But you're right about the cold. It's all about what we, our parents, our grandparents and all the way back, are acclimated to. We may very well be relocating to a much cooler climate than here in Pa. I'm good till down around 10 to 15. Lower than zero though? Not bad, however, I have been in -42, and that is nothing to play with. Hmmmm, a Nordic Viking in Yoga pants.. Ahhhh,, I don't wanna see that.. :)
The -30 bags are bit excessive for the majority of exploring i do in the Idaho Rockies, but were "free" as part of a trade a few years ago. I thought they'd be ridiculous, but these Marmots weigh less than than my 15F bag. -7F is the coldest I've used them and I rarely crawl inside, just use it as a quilt. One bonus is sleeping in a snowcave, it's like sleeping on a feather bed, only need 1 ensolite on the bottom compared to 3.

A Viking chick in yoga pants, that is a pretty funny thought. :D

Ron W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Herriman, UT, USA
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Wilkinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRQT933
Service Branch
US Navy
First your bag needs to be rated for the conditions, but one thing I learned long ago is that bags use YOUR body heat to keep you warm. Much like a dry suit for scuba diving. Your body heats the air, the insulation keeps the bag from losing it. If you are wearing jeans and the like your body can't heat the surrounding air. If the bag is suited for the environment, I will usually wear a pair of breathable pajamas. If it is a little colder, breathable thermos.
I want to see a Viking chick in yoga pants!

SLO Rob

Rank VI
Staff member
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder III

San Luis Obispo, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Petterson
Member #

Old school long underwear with a pair of clogs by the door (not the wood kind, leather with lug soles) to pop out for a minute or two.

CDN Offroader

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

St. Albert, AB, Canada
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Houghtaling
Member #

Beanie hat/toque/watch cap. That'll make a pretty big difference in sleeping comfort if you're chilly.

I sleep warm, so I can get by with gym shorts and a T shirt.

For backpacking, you can carry a lighter bag and stretch the comfort range by wearing a puffy jacket and long johns, but for car camping, you may as well bring a warm bag and a thick pad/mattress.

The idea that you'll sleep warmer by stripping down is a myth, usually perpetuated by military folks.
Not really a myth, you have to look at the context. If you are humping 80lbs of gear all day, conducting section attacks, generally sweating your"bag" off, then crawl into your sleeping bag in your sweaty gear, you will freeze. Especially up here in the GWN. We don't really get the chance to "chill" by the camp fire after a long day. That's why we strip down, and still practice it on Arctic Operations training. It lets the body dry out, and you sleep warmer because of it. If you have the "luxury" of extra clothes, then by all means wear them.