Launch Member

Traveler I

Oklahoma City, OK
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Tarter
Member #

I'm sure there are some Overland Bound members who have some experience with this. I'm considering painting my Xterra in bed liner. It needs a paint job and I'm having a hard time justifying paying for a good paint job only to scratch it up on the trails. My local paint and body shop quoted me around $2500 turn key. I have no idea if that's a good deal or not, or if doing it myself would be difficult (I'm a mechanically minded guy and I've never painted a car before). I'm open to advice. What have you all done?
What do you suggest?

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Ben Cleveland

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Nashville, TN, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Cleveland
Member #

Never done it before, but I WILL be doing monstaliner on my 4runner at some point down the road. Look up monstaliner, seems like a good cost conscious but very high quality paint substitute. And from my research it seems that its friendly to the DIY approach.

From my research, supposedly prep is key to a successful paint job, even if its just bedliner. My plan will be to strip the 4runner of all trim and exterior parts, sand, and completely repaint including jambs. Hope my lack of experience is helpful to you lol!

OKJeeper

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Oklahoma City, OK
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Tarter
Member #

Never done it before, but I WILL be doing monstaliner on my 4runner at some point down the road. Look up monstaliner, seems like a good cost conscious but very high quality paint substitute. And from my research it seems that its friendly to the DIY approach.

From my research, supposedly prep is key to a successful paint job, even if its just bedliner. My plan will be to strip the 4runner of all trim and exterior parts, sand, and completely repaint including jambs. Hope my lack of experience is helpful to you lol!
Thanks! Maybe we can help each other through the process.

Winterpeg

CDN Prairie Ambassador
Staff member
Launch Member

Influencer II

Winnipeg, MB
Member #

My buddy did his truck with bedliner... it didn't take long for it to look like crap.... peeling, flaking, etc.

I agree prep is key... he likely did not prep it well enough.

I plan on getting my FJ linex'd (same kinda stuff) at some point but I'll have it professionally done so it stays on the vehicle. I don't necessarily need it looking pretty but I do expect things to hold up when I spend money on it.
If it flakes off then I can take it back and (presumably) they can fix it.

John Herrington

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

I Raptor Lined my 85 4Runner, like Winterpeg said above... it's all in the prep. If you go the Raptorliner route (which I HIGHLY recommend) be absolutely sure to sand and clean thoroughly before you spray. I did around 3 weeks of bodywork and prep before I sprayed mine. You can buy the kit that includes a spray gun if you have an air compressor, you can also tint the liner to make any color you want, or they will send you tint for certain colors. Stuff is extremely tough. The kit is pricey, but you get what you pay for.

Reactions: OKJeeper

BCBrian

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Boulder Creek, CA
Member #

I have considered some sort of coating on the exterior of my Xterra that would be tougher than paint but I found some information regarding use of these coatings inside a vehicle that I wanted to share with you folks.
https://raybuck.com/bed-liner-inside-truck-cab/

While the door jambs are not technically 'inside' the vehicle, any of this material that is applied to a surface that is exposed to the interior space and air is a health risk. Application of these products is also a health risk and should be left to professionals unless you go to the lengths to buy high quality personal protective gear. Please read the above article.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I Raptor lined my off road trailer and I used Monstaliner on the side of my Cruiser.
The Raptor started chipping off after about a year. When I wanted to do the side of my Cruiser I selected Monstaliner. To order it I had to call and talk to someone there. I had mentioned what happened to the Raptor liner and the guy I was talking to said, "what grit sandpaper did you use?" Come to find out, I did all my prep right but finish sanded it with 400. The guy at Monstaliner said 220 is pushing it for too fine of a grit. I sanded my Toyota with 120. He had also said anytime someone mentioned it coming off, that was normally the cause if they cleaned the surface correctly.
The Monstaliner is going on 3 years old, bush's dragging down the side and pressure washing it holds up just fine. My neighbor had his F350 sprayed with black Rhino Liner. In the summer you couldn't put your hand on the side, it was that hot.

Raptor liner, you can tint it to whatever color you want, Monstaliner has a pretty good selection of colors. Ask for some color chips to be sent to you if you go that route. If your having it done, find out who's liner their using, not all of them are good. Also ask how many they've done as well as what they sand it to. I sprayed on my Raptor and rolled on the Monstaliner.

Scott

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

I think to answer your question, Yes and No! I like it on the floor, for fast clean ups and up the sides part way, to help with scratches and door dings, but nothing like the whole body. Why? Just imagine trying to fix a dented up body panel? If that does not bother you then go for it. I still think like anything else it has it’s place. But some are also not for it on your rig. Benz.

Robert Fullen

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Kerrville, Tx
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Fullen
Member #

Service Branch
None
We had an F150 supercrew with a lot of bedliner sprayed on the body . After 9 years it still looked great, But the truck was garage kept! In the past we had a landrover done and it faded badly. I would check into a wrap also! May be an option .

Enthusiast II

Hartford, SD
I did my bronco inside and out about 15 or so years ago. Never peeled any off. It's all in the prep work and selecting a good product. I used durabak and it worked well. They make a uv stable one I used on the exterior. The most important thing is the prep work when doing either paint or bedliner. For bedliner you don't have to worry about sand scratches. Heck you could spray over 36 grit grinder marks and not see it when done. Also most bedliners and all paints don't stick well to bare metal. Put down a good epoxy primer on at least the bare metal spots. My bronco is rusting away but the bedliner is still not letting go! Probably should have washed it more than 2 or 3 times in 15 years. Make sure when doing any paint or bedliner to go to an autobody supply store and pick up a proper paint mask that is rated for painting. Do not use a dust mask or hardware store resperator! Those will not protect you from the isocyanides in automotive paints.

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
I have considered some sort of coating on the exterior of my Xterra that would be tougher than paint but I found some information regarding use of these coatings inside a vehicle that I wanted to share with you folks.
https://raybuck.com/bed-liner-inside-truck-cab/

While the door jambs are not technically 'inside' the vehicle, any of this material that is applied to a surface that is exposed to the interior space and air is a health risk. Application of these products is also a health risk and should be left to professionals unless you go to the lengths to buy high quality personal protective gear. Please read the above article.
If polyurethane is really that bad there should be a high correlation with those who have oak floors that have been refinished.

Lazlo

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Aspen, CO
Member #

I'm sure there are some Overland Bound members who have some experience with this. I'm considering painting my Xterra in bed liner. It needs a paint job and I'm having a hard time justifying paying for a good paint job only to scratch it up on the trails. My local paint and body shop quoted me around $2500 turn key. I have no idea if that's a good deal or not, or if doing it myself would be difficult (I'm a mechanically minded guy and I've never painted a car before). I'm open to advice. What have you all done?
What do you suggest?

Had mine done yesterday professionally in VoretexIMG_0008.jpeg by Proffitt Resurrection- being reassembled today but Jeremiah sent me this pic a few hours ago... looking forward to picking it up

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

I painted my rig with home depot satin paint after regularly pinstriping it in the woods :P . Other than a couple peels where I messed up with the tape, it has held up well.

The main reason I chose this option and finish is for how easy it is to touch up. If I am careful with a foam brush, you cant tell at all.

welby

Rank 0

Traveler I

Monstaliner is good stuff, I was very happy with it on my old TJ. It held up great through off road use and PA winters, and really didn't fade at all in the couple years it was on there before I sold the Jeep. Did mine with a brush and it came out great.

Attachments

[_BOONE_]

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Norway, MI, USA
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Cherney
Member #

I too have heard good things about raptor liner.
I am planning on raptor lining the lower 10 inches of my doors on my Xterra to protect from road salt corrosion this winter, and future rocks from the trails.
What sand paper grade did you use for both metal/plastic?
I Raptor Lined my 85 4Runner, like Winterpeg said above... it's all in the prep. If you go the Raptorliner route (which I HIGHLY recommend) be absolutely sure to sand and clean thoroughly before you spray. I did around 3 weeks of bodywork and prep before I sprayed mine. You can buy the kit that includes a spray gun if you have an air compressor, you can also tint the liner to make any color you want, or they will send you tint for certain colors. Stuff is extremely tough. The kit is pricey, but you get what you pay for.

OVERLANDeRoos

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger II

Green Cove Springs, FL, USA
First Name
Bradley
Last Name
DeRoo
Member #

I have Raptor lined my entire XJ. Take your time on the prep work, it'll pay off in the long run. I have some spots that need some touch up, but overall I'm really pleased with the outcome and would recommend Raptor Liner!received_1953740624729444.jpeg

BJ_OTR

Rank II
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Fountain Valley, Ca
First Name
Bert
Last Name
Mekpongsatorn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WREZ604
I’m thinking about line-Xing mine as well. Currently have it wrapped and it’s gonna cost way too much to remove the wrap and re wrap it. Line x suggested sand blasting the wrap off to save on money while prepping it to be sprayed as well. Even though I know there’s no turning back once it’s sprayed I still can’t bring myself to sandblasting the wrap off. May wait a couple years to see how the rest of this wrap peels off