Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

I know there are places to drive and camp along the beach in TX. I was wondering if there is anything closer to me, such as in MS, FL, AL, or GA? Are there any beaches in these states where one can drive and camp right along the beach? How does one go about finding such places and the rules?

Reactions: NC-Trooper

Pretzel

Rank IV

Member III

Greenville, NC
First Name
Eric
Last Name
D.
Member #

Not very close to you, but for your library of knowledge, I offer the following.

Just spent a few nights on Cape Lookout in NC:
Paid for one of the two vehicle ferry services to shuttle us to the island (about $145 round trip; truck+passengers)
  • Cape Lookout Cabins & Camps (and ferry service)
  • Davis Shore Ferry
Register at the park service office as you get to the island for your 4x4 permit (free).
Camping is free, but I think limited to 14 days. (might be mis-remebering how long you can stay.)
You can camp anywhere between high tide and the dunes unless otherwise posted.
You have the whole beach to drive on, or the inner "road" on the other side of the dunes, and on the posted cut-throughs between the two, but NOT the dunes.
Be prepared for mosquitos at night, area repellents are ineffective due to the wind, stick to applied repellent.
Sport fishing is HUGE here, monster drum are a big draw, have your NC Saltwater fishing permit.

Cape Lookout.jpg

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

Not very close to you, but for your library of knowledge, I offer the following.

Paid for one of the two vehicle ferry services to shuttle us to the island (about $145 round trip; truck+passengers)
  • Davis Shore Ferry
Register at the park service office as you get to the island for your 4x4 permit (free).
Camping is free, but I think limited to 14 days. (might be mis-remebering how long you can stay.)
You have the whole beach to drive on, or the inner "road" on the other side of the dunes, and on the posted cut-throughs between the two, but NOT the dunes.
Be prepared for mosquitos at night, area repellents are ineffective due to the wind, stick to applied repellent.
Sport fishing is HUGE here, monster drum are a big draw, have your NC Saltwater fishing permit.

View attachment 174315
That’s an awesome recommendation - thanks! On an island too! Is there any time of year with no bugs? I like winter camping, as long as the beach wouldn’t be too windy and miserable.

Pretzel

Rank IV

Member III

Greenville, NC
First Name
Eric
Last Name
D.
Member #

I wouldn't expect the bugs to be too bad after a few weeks of nights below 70deg, but I honestly don't know. Mosquitos were our only issue, but I think if we were here in the peak of summer the black-flies would probably also be a problem.

Maximus_Offroad

Rank III

Enthusiast I

I wouldn't expect the bugs to be too bad after a few weeks of nights below 70deg, but I honestly don't know. Mosquitos were our only issue, but I think if we were here in the peak of summer the black-flies would probably also be a problem.
Agreed. I just went camping at McFaddin beach in Texas. No problems with any bugs except a massive amount of mosquitoes.

Maximus_Offroad

Rank III

Enthusiast I

I know there are places to drive and camp along the beach in TX. I was wondering if there is anything closer to me, such as in MS, FL, AL, or GA? Are there any beaches in these states where one can drive and camp right along the beach? How does one go about finding such places and the rules?
Rutherford beach is an option to camp right on the beach. However this is in Louisiana. Not sure if that is too far. Also might want to check around about hurricane damage

Reactions: Tundracamper

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

Rutherford beach is an option to camp right on the beach. However this is in Louisiana. Not sure if that is too far. Also might want to check around about hurricane damage
Thanks! Definitely gonna put that on my list. A current search shows that area was hit pretty hard during the recent storms. Need to check on the status before planning.

Maximus_Offroad

Rank III

Enthusiast I

Thanks! Definitely gonna put that on my list. A current search shows that area was hit pretty hard during the recent storms. Need to check on the status before planning.
Yea I live in New Orleans and had some damage from the last hurricane to come through. So I would imagine that area would have gotten hit a little harder than me. However I just went to Texas, and it wasn’t terrible along the shoreline. So maybe call some places around the area to check and be sure.

Obscure Medic

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Havelock, NC, USA
First Name
Dale
Last Name
Askew
Member #

• Davis Shore Ferry

View attachment 174315
That’s an awesome recommendation - thanks! On an island too! Is there any time of year with no bugs? I like winter camping, as long as the beach wouldn’t be too windy and miserable.
The green heads and mosquitos dissipate after we have a few.good frosts. You can stay away from them on the lighthouse end of the island relatively easily because of ocean breezes even when they are thick. However, northern end of the Island can be very different during prime bug biting season. Lol.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

i just follow every trail leading downhill and hope.

DSC_0073.jpeg

DSCN1473.jpeg

DSC_0057.jpeg

ferry in the background

three spots within a half hour of home

THIS is why I overland, to find those beaches no one else goes to

disco2

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Kinston, North Carolina, USA
First Name
Travis
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

• Davis Shore Ferry

View attachment 174315
Another place near Cape Lookout on the Barrier Island right above cape Lookout is Portsmouth Island. You also have to take the ferry over to the islands but Davis Ferry doesn't go up that far. if you are on Instagram search the hashtag #portsmouthisland and you will see some pictures from that area of beach camping.

Cam_Cam_Tech

Rank VI

Pathfinder III

Pleasant Hill, CA
First Name
Camilo
Last Name
Sanchez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6QLZ
I know is not on your list but have you considered driving west and down to baja? if beach driving a camping is what your are looking for that’s the place to go.

Alejandro Lopez

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Miramar, fl
First Name
Alejandro
Last Name
Lopez
Member #

There is Fernandina Beach in north east Florida. Camping is allowed there. Daytona Beach you can also drive in the beach, but i don't believe camping is allowed. And near ft Myers, there is Sanibel causeway, and camping is allowed as well