Beach camping

• HTML tutorial

Keylay

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Cypress, Texas
Member #

Headed down to the coast in Texas for first or second weekend in October. Any tips on beach camping?

Last edited:
Reactions: SteveS

SteveS

Rank 0

Contributor II

Headed down to the coast in Texas for first or second weekend in October. Any tips on beach camping?
Obvious, however it has to be said, do not park in the "tide zone". Park further from it actually. Because that one freak evening where the moons of the entire galaxy are aligned and cause a higher than normal tide can and will probably be on the day you park your truck on the beach! Can't stress enough the importance to allow space from the tide line!

Also, depending on the type of sand and conditions, parking on some kind of traction aid like Maxxtrax, wood boards, or even floor mats may help with driving off from your parking spot after a long evening. Wind gusts can bury your tires in sand and before you know it, your frame is sitting on the ground!

and another obvious tip: Air Down! :)
Other wise, have a great time!!!

We go to the Out Banks of North Carolina in the spring. There is a small island that is only accessible by about a two hour ferry ride from main land that we camp on.

Keylay

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Cypress, Texas
Member #

Obvious, however it has to be said, do not park in the "tide zone". Park further from it actually. Because that one freak evening where the moons of the entire galaxy are aligned and cause a higher than normal tide can and will probably be on the day you park your truck on the beach! Can't stress enough the importance to allow space from the tide line!

Also, depending on the type of sand and conditions, parking on some kind of traction aid like Maxxtrax, wood boards, or even floor mats may help with driving off from your parking spot after a long evening. Wind gusts can bury your tires in sand and before you know it, your frame is sitting on the ground!

and another obvious tip: Air Down! :)
Other wise, have a great time!!!

We go to the Out Banks of North Carolina in the spring. There is a small island that is only accessible by about a two hour ferry ride from main land that we camp on.
Thanks for the advice!
I'm likely going to Boliver Peninsela, a short 20 minute ferry from Galveston, Texas.

Reactions: RiverCityDave

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
We go to the Out Banks of North Carolina in the spring. There is a small island that is only accessible by about a two hour ferry ride from main land that we camp on.[/QUOTE]

Cool, We want to get down to Cape Lookout N Seashore in the near future. Just when is the best time of year to go in order to avoid a lot of other campers? We were thinking November thru March. I know, I'm a nut job, it's winter and anything could happen, but thats what's cool about going then. As far as the OP, be sure to bring multiple traction aids and more than one shovel.

Reactions: Mean Green

ChadHahn

Rank III

Advocate I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Chad
Last Name
Hahn
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC0POB
Cut gallon milk jugs into a kind of scoop leaving the handle intact. Then bury the jug in the sand leaving the handle sticking out of the sand. Tie the tent stays to the jug handle. The tent will stay put in the sand.

Chad

Robert Zegarelli

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Santa Fe, TX
First Name
ROBERT
Last Name
ZEGARELLI
Member #

Anywhere out near Bluewater Hwy is also very nice and quite... I live in Santa Fe, TX... I take my family out that way every once in a while ..

Zig

Beachcruiser

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Brazoria, Texas, United States
First Name
Cecil
Last Name
Mcelveen
Member #

Cut gallon milk jugs into a kind of scoop leaving the handle intact. Then bury the jug in the sand leaving the handle sticking out of the sand. Tie the tent stays to the jug handle. The tent will stay put in the sand.

Chad
Yeah that's a big deal on the beach , especially with the wind blowing. You can do the same with some bout 12" 2x4s or pieces of driftwood and rope

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

At the beach, some form of wind break is really nice to have. It should be large enough to protect everyone from the wind, at least while sitting. You can use a blue tarp for this, but if you want overhead shade, go with the grey tarp. It doesn't trap the heat and provides actual shade compared to the blue version.

RiverCityDave

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Austin, Texas
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Hunter
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Thanks for the advice!
I'm likely going to Boliver Peninsela, a short 20 minute ferry from Galveston, Texas.
I was considering PINS, but with a 4 year old, maybe Boliver Penensila out east since it's closer to Houston.
So we do both multiple times a year. Depending on your kids level of adventurousness I wouldn't rule out PINS for a 4 year old, my daughter has been going with us since she was two, for multiple day stays.

IMG_5870.JPG
The entrance to the National Seashore. Its another 11 miles from here to the Ranger Station, along a road through the middle of a salt marsh (visible in the background). (Behind my thumb)

IMG_5872.JPG
The Seashore is beautiful, and remote enough that you needn't interact with your neighbor unless you want to.

That being said, Bolivar is great. You'll need a beach sticker to access and park on the beach, which looks like this
IMG_5869.JPG
and you can pick up at any bait store on the peninsula, as well as most of the convenience stores. It runs 10.00 for a years access. The local constabulary will definitely check for it. The biggest advantage to Bolivar is that you're a ride on the ferry from civilization, and even closer to convenience stores, bait stores, etc should the need arise. Even if you don't venture far down into PINs, its a solid 30 minute drive to the first store outside the park. The flip side of that is that on Bolivar you will have more neighbors, and most of the accessible beach is bordered by homes on the shore. They don't control access to the water or anything, but they will be behind you.

77C2C478-39DC-455D-A4E7-31CD841DA877.JPG
This is Bolivar about 15 miles from the Ferry landing, and shows the houses.

Either way, you'll have a great time, and I would definitely heed the warning about needing a wind break. We stayed out on the seashore two years ago, and the wind blew 25 knots the entire time, sand blasting everyone and everything the whole time we were there, by the end of the second day, it was even testing my patience, and I seriously considered packing up, but instead we moved the truck close to a downed tree trunk and rigged up a tarp that broke the wind and suddenly everyone's mood improved immensely, even the critically important wife. We all took hot water showers from the rig, and everyone was very pleased.

IMG_5871.JPG
You can see the aforementioned log in the background. :)

IMG_5873.JPG
The beach down there often receives large washes of seaweed, which is great for marine life, but the kids usually complain about the smell. :)

806CFA9E-8993-41B5-8806-74A51A1877C4.JPG
This is Padre Island, just before the entrance to PINS, actually adjacent to Mustang Island. There are small inlets and cuts all around the area that are great for fishing.

Whatever you choose, you cant go wrong, we go alot and its part of our spring summer routine every year.

Last edited:

RiverCityDave

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Austin, Texas
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Hunter
Member #

Service Branch
Army
yep :-) thats home

I like Bolivar alot, and the logs are about the only obstacles around here besides the mud.

Nothing hates your ride like salt mud.... its terrible
My trucks finish took a noticeable downturn after that week at SPI I mentioned earlier. The hood, and front fenders look especially bad, from the salt air blowing unabated for 5 days.

Keylay

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Cypress, Texas
Member #

@mellowdave @IronPercheron Thanks for the replies and info. Since it's my second time camping with him, first time expeditionary style ( very much a capable and experienced backpacker before kids), and to the beach, I think we are sticking to Boliver. Do you know if fires are allowed?

Reactions: RiverCityDave

RiverCityDave

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Austin, Texas
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Hunter
Member #

Service Branch
Army
@mellowdave @IronPercheron Thanks for the replies and info. Since it's my second time camping with him, first time expeditionary style ( very much a capable and experienced backpacker before kids), and to the beach, I think we are sticking to Boliver. Do you know if fires are allowed?

There is nothing at all wrong with Bolivar, we love it, as much for its accessibility as for its features. If youre going at any off season time, it can feel as remote as SPI.

If you go all the way down to Crystal Beach (Which I recommend) beach camping and fires are fine.
This site is run by the Crystal Beach and Bolivar Chamber of Commerce and carries most of the rules.

here is the info for the Beach Parking/Camping Sticker for 2016

This site also run by the CoC is kept up to date with goings on, etc.

IronPercheron

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sweeny Texas
Member #

There is nothing at all wrong with Bolivar, we love it, as much for its accessibility as for its features. If youre going at any off season time, it can feel as remote as SPI.

If you go all the way down to Crystal Beach (Which I recommend) beach camping and fires are fine.
This site is run by the Crystal Beach and Bolivar Chamber of Commerce and carries most of the rules.

here is the info for the Beach Parking/Camping Sticker for 2016

This site also run by the CoC is kept up to date with goings on, etc.
Everything mentioned here is spot on dude!

Enjoy :-)

And dont hesitate to call if you get into trouble.