Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Birmingham, Alabama
First Name
James
Last Name
Watkins
Member #

Does anyone know of some good spots to camp on the beach? Looking for the GA,SC,FL coast lines. I am wanting to plan a trip for the end of July/Mid August time frame. I will be leaving out of Birmingham and would like to be able to drive there in about 4-6 hours. Thanks in advance for any help.

Nick_Gomez81

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Land O' Lakes, FL, USA
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Gomez
Member #

Hey buddy, I live in Tampa and this is the closest thing to beach camping I know of here. Never camped there myself though. Hope it helps.

Epage

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Pensacola, FL, USA
First Name
Earl
Last Name
Page
Member #

Does anyone know of some good spots to camp on the beach? Looking for the GA,SC,FL coast lines. I am wanting to plan a trip for the end of July/Mid August time frame. I will be leaving out of Birmingham and would like to be able to drive there in about 4-6 hours. Thanks in advance for any help.
Check out the National Seashore - Ft Pickens in Pensacola, FL. It's a great place to camp
The beaches are amazing.

JTW5

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Birmingham, Alabama
First Name
James
Last Name
Watkins
Member #

Check out the National Seashore - Ft Pickens in Pensacola, FL. It's a great place to camp
The beaches are amazing.
Do they allow camping with a RTT at Ft. Pickens? I have had a few people suggest that one, but talked about how strict they are.

SandlapperOverland

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Charleston, SC
First Name
Jon
Last Name
T
Member #

Speaking for South Carolina...Edisto Beach State Park has half of the Park on the beach and the other half on the marsh.

It fills up fast and is pretty expensive.

Huntington Beach State Park in Murrells Inlet and Myrtle Beach State Park are in the general area of the beach.

There are also two or three commercial ocean campgrounds near Myrtle Beach; Ocean Lakes, Pirate Land and Lakewood Campgrounds.

Other than Edisto, Huntington would be my pick because there is a “castle” there (google Atalaya).

If you can deal with not being on the ocean but close to it, Buck Hall Recreation Area in McClellanville, SC is about 15-20 minutes from the Isle of Palms and you’re smack dab on the intracoastal waterway. Buck Hall from what I gather is like a hidden gem; few know about it.

Attached are a couple pics of Buck Hall:

IMG_4484.JPGIMG_4481.JPG

Noble Savage

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Deland, FL
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Gore
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO4URN
Also try Mosquito Lagoon/Canaveral National Seashore. It’s a little less than a hour drive from Orlando and Daytona beach. It goes from Oak Hill down to Titusville and you can rent islands to camp on for cheap. My gf and I have done it before and used our hammocks on the island. It’s a nice little paddle out to an island and it’s amazing scenery.

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
South Walton County in NW Florida might give you what you're looking for, never been but looks nice. I know they let residents drive on the beach so not sure if campers can, probably not. The state park below has all sorts of campsites and 3.2 miles of beach access.

2/3/20 - Updated link to the correct link to the State park, not sure what happened with the old link. I'll actually be going to this park and spending a couple of nights there the second weekend in April!

Last edited:

Epage

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Pensacola, FL, USA
First Name
Earl
Last Name
Page
Member #

Ft Pickens on Pensacola Beach. There are a number of sites across 3 or 4 areas within the grounds. While not ON the beach. You can hear the waves and take a short walk to the beach.

DWL

Rank III
Investor

Enthusiast I

North Carolina
First Name
Don
Last Name
Lincoln
Member #

If you are heading as far north as NC I would recommend Freeman Park in Carolina Beach. Great drive on beach with camping back against the dunes. You will wake up to people fishing and dogs running off leash (depending on the time of year). 4 wheel drive is a must unless you want to be laughed at when you get stuck. Unfortunately not all of the beach is open any more due to erosion with the recent storms and occasional people driving like idiots and causing damage (and getting stuck and laughed at as well).

Reactions: Wallygator

Wallygator

Rank III

Contributor II

USA
If you are heading as far north as NC I would recommend Freeman Park in Carolina Beach. Great drive on beach with camping back against the dunes. You will wake up to people fishing and dogs running off leash (depending on the time of year). 4 wheel drive is a must unless you want to be laughed at when you get stuck. Unfortunately not all of the beach is open any more due to erosion with the recent storms and occasional people driving like idiots and causing damage (and getting stuck and laughed at as well).

Couldn't find the info so I am guessing you need a day pass and then the $50 a night to camp. Getting expensive.

DWL

Rank III
Investor

Enthusiast I

North Carolina
First Name
Don
Last Name
Lincoln
Member #

Couldn't find the info so I am guessing you need a day pass and then the $50 a night to camp. Getting expensive.
I thought the driving pass was included with camping last year. They also sell an annual driving pass for 200$ but it is discounted if you buy it locally from now until the end of net month.

I completly agree on it being a bit pricey but I have yet to find a better beach camping option in the semi close area.

Wallygator

Rank III

Contributor II

USA
I thought the driving pass was included with camping last year. They also sell an annual driving pass for 200$ but it is discounted if you buy it locally from now until the end of net month.

I completly agree on it being a bit pricey but I have yet to find a better beach camping option in the semi close area.
Yeah that annual pass sounds like a really good deal if you live close and go often.

JMTOVERLAND

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler III

Leland, NC, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Tucker
Member #

New regulations of January 1st 2020 no camping allowed between memorial day and labor day 50 a night for off season camping. Photo from this Christmas eve. So 1 last free night of camping20191224_162625.jpeg

DWL

Rank III
Investor

Enthusiast I

North Carolina
First Name
Don
Last Name
Lincoln
Member #

New regulations of January 1st 2020 no camping allowed between memorial day and labor day 50 a night for off season camping. Photo from this Christmas eve. So 1 last free night of campingView attachment 132244
Well that’s just about the worst thing to read today. Any other good leads on beach camping in this area? I’m about 2.5 hours north west of there and this was always one of my favorite trips.

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
South Walton County in NW Florida might give you what you're looking for, never been but looks nice. I know they let residents drive on the beach so not sure if campers can, probably not. The state park below has all sorts of campsites and 3.2 miles of beach access.

2/3/20 - Updated link to the correct link to the State park, not sure what happened with the old link. I'll actually be going to this park and spending a couple of nights there the second weekend in April!
Link updated!

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
I'll actually being staying at Topsail Preserve State Park the weekend of February 28th - March 1! I'll post how things went when I return. Looks pretty nice, they have dedicated tent sites with 16' tent pad areas, a fire pit ring with grill grate, water and electricity in a more secluded setting. There are also bathrooms with hot showers nearby, total with taxes and fees for two nights is $60. Below are some pictures of the tent areas, I think my boys and I are going to have a great time with freshwater lakes and the Gulf near by for fishing with bike and hiking trails throughout the park!

Topsaid Tent Area 1.jpgTopsaid Tent Area 2.jpgTopsaid Tent Area 3.jpg

Last edited: