Beach Camping

• Hi Guest, you may choose a LIGHT or DARK theme that works best for you with the "Style Chooser" button at the bottom left on this page!

JTW5

Rank III

Advocate I

Birmingham, Alabama
Member #

Does anyone know of some good spots to camp on the beach? Looking for the GA,SC,FL coast lines. I am wanting to plan a trip for the end of July/Mid August time frame. I will be leaving out of Birmingham and would like to be able to drive there in about 4-6 hours. Thanks in advance for any help.

Epage

Rank I

Contributor I

Pensacola, FL, USA
First Name
Earl
Last Name
Page
Member #

Does anyone know of some good spots to camp on the beach? Looking for the GA,SC,FL coast lines. I am wanting to plan a trip for the end of July/Mid August time frame. I will be leaving out of Birmingham and would like to be able to drive there in about 4-6 hours. Thanks in advance for any help.
Check out the National Seashore - Ft Pickens in Pensacola, FL. It's a great place to camp
The beaches are amazing.

JTW5

Rank III

Advocate I

Birmingham, Alabama
Member #

Check out the National Seashore - Ft Pickens in Pensacola, FL. It's a great place to camp
The beaches are amazing.
Do they allow camping with a RTT at Ft. Pickens? I have had a few people suggest that one, but talked about how strict they are.

SandlapperOverland

Rank II

Contributor II

Charleston, SC
First Name
Jon
Last Name
T
Member #

Speaking for South Carolina...Edisto Beach State Park has half of the Park on the beach and the other half on the marsh.

It fills up fast and is pretty expensive.

Huntington Beach State Park in Murrells Inlet and Myrtle Beach State Park are in the general area of the beach.

There are also two or three commercial ocean campgrounds near Myrtle Beach; Ocean Lakes, Pirate Land and Lakewood Campgrounds.

Other than Edisto, Huntington would be my pick because there is a “castle” there (google Atalaya).

If you can deal with not being on the ocean but close to it, Buck Hall Recreation Area in McClellanville, SC is about 15-20 minutes from the Isle of Palms and you’re smack dab on the intracoastal waterway. Buck Hall from what I gather is like a hidden gem; few know about it.

Attached are a couple pics of Buck Hall:

IMG_4484.JPGIMG_4481.JPG

Reactions: Sasquatch SC

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI

Pathfinder I

Spartanburg, SC, USA
First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

Edisto is amazing, there are a few along the inshore areas as well. Several different options in the ACE basin between Edisto & Hilton Head if you look.

AnglerAdventurer

Rank IV

Advocate II

Deland, FL
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Gore
Member #

Also try Mosquito Lagoon/Canaveral National Seashore. It’s a little less than a hour drive from Orlando and Daytona beach. It goes from Oak Hill down to Titusville and you can rent islands to camp on for cheap. My gf and I have done it before and used our hammocks on the island. It’s a nice little paddle out to an island and it’s amazing scenery.

Viking1204

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
S
Member #

South Walton County in NW Florida might give you what you're looking for, never been but looks nice. I know they let residents drive on the beach so not sure if campers can, probably not. The state park below has all sorts of campsites and 3.2 miles of beach access.