Seriksson13

Rank I

Contributor III

Chilliwack, BC, Canada
First Name
Stefan
Last Name
Eriksson
I have made an overland trailer I call Odessa. I had an 8' X 8' awning but wanted a ba\twing to cover more area. but most (all) batwings don't have a big acquired off area for coverage. So I developed somethings different.

materials I used:
- 8ft long 5" X 2" aluminum Channel as the beam notched out at each end
- 5 pipes at 8' X 3/4' aluminum pipe
- 4 pipe 90º elbows
- 4 extendable 4'-8' paint poles
- 20' x 20' tarp will be replaced with rip-stop once I am happy with the design
- 6" corner brackets
- Gorilla tape.
- led light strips for the pipes

in the process of making a bag for the cover and will be upgrading to ripstop material for a better handling material once I am happy with the results.

all in it cost me $450 Canadian and about 10 hrs of time to get this to come to fruition. did some designing on the fly as some things didn't work in regards to the tarp. but I am quite happy how it looks so far.

Attachments

lhoffm4

Rank III

Advocate I

Boise, Idaho
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hoffman
Service Branch
US Navy
Props! I started mine last fall. Still have not finished it. Got the frame built but have not sorted out the awning material. Will probably mock up a heavy tarp. Got discouraged when I spoke to a couple local awning makers and they both quoted me about twice what I could pay for a complete batwing commercially made...

Reactions: Seriksson13

rtexpeditions

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
First Name
Randall
Last Name
Treloyn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VK7VWK
It will be interesting to see how it lasts.
One thing I noticed with my "Fox Wing" (Oztent Batwing), is the tubes are not simple tubes but are a "theta" section with the center bar vertical within the tube to provide rigidity.

Reactions: Seriksson13