Launch Member

Advocate II

Ohio
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
King
Member #

It may sound stupid, but I've always had really good luck with John Deere batteries. I'm not sure who makes them, and they don't have every group, but never let me down. They've got a good warranty, and if they are made to start a cold diesel on a tractor, they sure as heck should crank over a truck motor.

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

Partial thread hijack- I just picked up a Duralast Platinum AGM for my Xterra; anyone have experience with those? I did some more searching after buying it, and the reviews I'm seeing now aren't great. Also, probably a dumb question: how important is the positive terminal cover? I checked my battery earlier, and it's missing. Can't seem to find a definitive answer elsewhere, and replacements are bizarrely hard to find.
I've been running one In my Frontier for a little over a year, no issues yet.

Chris

Rank III

Enthusiast I

Plano
Member #

I was ready to buy a duel battery system for the Wrangler. There's a very good one on the market but it's about $500 and then still have to spend close to that amount for the batteries.
I've almost talked myself into getting an Arkpak 730. It's as much as the duel battery but can be moved from the vehicle to trailer or tent.
The idea of mobility is a good one to contemplate.

FX4Bob

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Plano, TX
Member #

I have had very mixed experiences with Optima yellow tops. I've had a couple that lasted many years (my last one was almost 9 years old), and others that barely lasted two years. From my experience, it seems their quality control has gone downhill.
I've had great experiences with Interstate batteries as well, they're probably the best traditional lead acid battery I've ever used.
My most recent purchase was the Duracell AGM battery to replace my Optima (since Optima prices have more than doubled in the last 5 years... $300 for a yellow top, seriously??). I haven't had enough time to decide whether it's a winner yet or not.