Battery Recommendations?

• HTML tutorial

ColoradoPacific

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Fort Collins, CO
Member #

I am planning out my dual battery system, with the hopes of getting everything purchased over the next year and installing during the winter of 2017/2018...

I had always had this impression that OPTIMA was the battery brand above all others, but lately I hear that they are terrible? What batteries do you suggest or warn against? Why? Pros & cons?

Please feel free to discuss brands, sizes, types, and any special features to look for. I'm good at circuitry, but know nothing about batteries!

Reactions: rking.1688

RaggedViking

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Readsboro, VT
Member #

I am planning out my dual battery system, with the hopes of getting everything purchased over the next year and installing during the winter of 2017/2018...

I had always had this impression that OPTIMA was the battery brand above all others, but lately I hear that they are terrible? What batteries do you suggest or warn against? Why? Pros & cons?

Please feel free to discuss brands, sizes, types, and any special features to look for. I'm good at circuitry, but know nothing about batteries!
I ran an Optima Yellowtop in my 2010 Toyota Tundra and it lasted 4 years before I got rid of the truck - and that was through a super-weird energy drain due to some shoddily wired Hella's.
I bought a Yellowtop for my 4Runner and have been using it for 2 years without issue.
I have heard they hit the skids in terms of quality, but I haven't had any issues at all.

Reactions: Chris

Comanche

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Goodyear, Arizona
Member #

Optima was bought by Johnson Control and moved production to Mexico. There's many reports of the newer batteries not lasting three years. The claim is that the lead used is not as pure and when they were produced in the USA.
Odyssey is the premium USA made brand, but expect to pay in the $300 price range each.
The Sears Diehard Platinum was claimed by many to be a re-branded Odyssey for about half the price.
I've been an Interstate battery buyer for many years and average about 5 years for a battery.
What ever you get make sure it's an AGM battery with a high reserve capacity.
140 minute reserve capacity or greater would be ideal.

Billy "Poserlander" Badly

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

PDX, OR, USA
Member #

Partial thread hijack- I just picked up a Duralast Platinum AGM for my Xterra; anyone have experience with those? I did some more searching after buying it, and the reviews I'm seeing now aren't great. Also, probably a dumb question: how important is the positive terminal cover? I checked my battery earlier, and it's missing. Can't seem to find a definitive answer elsewhere, and replacements are bizarrely hard to find.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wherever we park it will be home !!
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
We love Andrew, he is an inspiration, a great story teller, and a great sense of humor....

As far as batteries and dual systems? KISS. I use a manual switch to isolate or connect my two batteries. Why? because I've had those fancy over priced automatic controllers fail me twice. Once the controller failed me in the Adirondacks in -20 degree temps and I nearly froze my butt off waiting on a srvice guy to show up... With a manual switch all ya gotta do is remember to pop the hood and turn the switch to "off" when you park, and to "on" when you start up in the am while overlanding... Here at home, I just leave the switch in the "on" position most all the time.... and definitely get AGMs..

Lassen

Rank V

Member III

Great topic as I'm dealing with a potential battery problem. In researching batteries, I've discovered that I just can't find a battery with high CCA. I used to have a battery that was 1100 CCAs but now I can't find anything larger than 850 for my car. Any ideas on what I should try to find a battery with more CCAs?

Reactions: Chris

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Great topic as I'm dealing with a potential battery problem. In researching batteries, I've discovered that I just can't find a battery with high CCA. I used to have a battery that was 1100 CCAs but now I can't find anything larger than 850 for my car. Any ideas on what I should try to find a battery with more CCAs?
I'm not really sure why you would need 1100 ccas for your car? Big trucks with 11 or 12 litre diesels yep, but they usually run 4 6 volt batteries in two series to get the cca needed, but thats still usually less than 1000 ccas. You have piqued my curiosity. what brand and series of battery do you have with 1100 ccas? Odyssey does make what you are looking for, military grade for big trucks $350 plus..

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Partial thread hijack- I just picked up a Duralast Platinum AGM for my Xterra; anyone have experience with those? I did some more searching after buying it, and the reviews I'm seeing now aren't great. Also, probably a dumb question: how important is the positive terminal cover? I checked my battery earlier, and it's missing. Can't seem to find a definitive answer elsewhere, and replacements are bizarrely hard to find.
I've been using a pair of the Duralast Platinums now for 3 years without issue. On our last trip we ran the main battery down on several occasions and still no problems at all. Then again, the only reason I purchased the Duralasts in the first place is because none of the Sears stores within 200 miles of where I live had a pair of platinum batteries that would fit.. I don't regret the Duralasts at all, but, when it's time to replace I'll be searching for the Sears Platinum ( rebadged Odyssey).. I wouldn't worry too much about the positve terminal cover

Comanche

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Goodyear, Arizona
Member #

I was ready to buy a duel battery system for the Wrangler. There's a very good one on the market but it's about $500 and then still have to spend close to that amount for the batteries.
I've almost talked myself into getting an Arkpak 730. It's as much as the duel battery but can be moved from the vehicle to trailer or tent.

Winterpeg

CDN Prairie Ambassador
Staff member
Launch Member

Influencer II

Winnipeg, MB
Member #

I'm currently running 2 Optima blue tops... group 34.... 900 CCA.
I've had the one for a number of years and the additional one I've had now for about 2 yrs.
No problems.
I have upgraded my alternator to a 200 amp alternator.... and also upgraded the Alternator Voltage Booster. The AGM's apparently appreciate a higher voltage than what alternators are "told" to put out by the stock voltage "regulator"
https://www.hkbelect.com/

One thing I would caution you on though is to ensure whatever additional battery box you plan on buying will fit the new battery(s).
The stock location for me works fine for the group34 battery.... but I'm having a helluva lot of trouble finding an additional tray for the grou34.... evidently the spare battery trays are more designed for the group31 batteries (at least in the little bit of research I've done).

The comment about not needing all the extra CCA's.... when it gets cold you lose cranking amps quickly.
Stock batteries are the very bare minimum cranking amps required. In this area that isn't sufficient. If you forget to plug your block heater in and leave the vehicle outside on a -40 night.... you better start calling a buddy with some booster cables.

Lassen

Rank V

Member III

I'm not really sure why you would need 1100 ccas for your car? Big trucks with 11 or 12 litre diesels yep, but they usually run 4 6 volt batteries in two series to get the cca needed, but thats still usually less than 1000 ccas. You have piqued my curiosity. what brand and series of battery do you have with 1100 ccas? Odyssey does make what you are looking for, military grade for big trucks $350 plus..
Well, it was some time ago, admittedly! It was in 2003, I was in my Jeep GC ZJ along the Carson River at Ft. Churchill. Got ready to leave and no battery! Summer day, so cold not issue here. Anyway, got jumped, headed in to Carson City and pulled in to a Grand Auto/Auto Zone or something like that. Asked for biggest battery they had, which was an 1100 CCA, house brand. That lasted until 2008 when it died. New one I put in was a 1000 CCA as 1100 I couldn't find anymore. In 2011, got new Jeep GC WK. Stock battery, a 730 CCA died 2 years ago. Only battery I could find was a 730 CCA. It's now giving indications of problems so looking for as big a battery as possible. Here in CA, temperatures don't often fall below -40 - thank goodness for that! - but I still like having a strong battery. Maybe not something offered in CA because it doesn't get cold enough??

Forgot to add, the manufacturer recommended is 730 CCA. So only thing I can find is bare minimum. So far, anyway.

Last edited:

shoredreamer

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Santa Cruz
First Name
Chris
Last Name
RRU
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6AZV
Like @1Louder I recently put in an X2 Power 27F from Batteries Plus after my Die Hard Platinum 31M could not take load. The X2 is on another level. Pricey, but it has a 5 year warranty and has 930CCA and 195RC which is alot. I've been planning on dual batteries but almost don't even think it's worth the extra weight with this battery. I ran my fridge half full for 78 hrs and it only dropped down to 12.3V. I also put some heavy loads on it like my compressor and spooled my winch with the engine off and it doesn't even drop. Super happy so far. I also carry a Antigravity jumper. For true AGM 12Vs there are only a couple manufacturers. East Penn, Odyssey, and Northstar are the main guys I believe.

Reactions: 1Louder

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
One of the things I've learned after running dual batteries for a number of years, and I will sometimes not drive mine for one or two weeks at a time, I put a smart trickle charger on both and let it pulse the batteries and it keeps them in good shape.
Extends the life of batteries by quite a bit.

Billy "Poserlander" Badly

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

PDX, OR, USA
Member #

Like @1Louder I recently put in an X2 Power 27F from Batteries Plus after my Die Hard Platinum 31M could not take load. The X2 is on another level. Pricey, but it has a 5 year warranty and has 930CCA and 195RC which is alot. I've been planning on dual batteries but almost don't even think it's worth the extra weight with this battery. I ran my fridge half full for 78 hrs and it only dropped down to 12.3V. I also put some heavy loads on it like my compressor and spooled my winch with the engine off and it doesn't even drop. Super happy so far. I also carry a Antigravity jumper. For true AGM 12Vs there are only a couple manufacturers. East Penn, Odyssey, and Northstar are the main guys I believe.
What do you mean by "true AGM"? If a battery is labeled AGM, isn't safe to assume it's actually an absorbed glass mat battery?