• HTML tutorial

Mike Costa

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Fairfax, VA
Member #

Hey guys, I wanted to share some info about a few products I have recently purchased from NOCO. I recently installed an Odyssey 31M-PC2150ST Battery in my 5th Gen 4Runner in order to handle auxiliary lighting but more so my fridge for several days without the vehicle having to be turned on to recharge the battery or it ends up drained so low it will not crank the vehicle. Upon research, you'll find the Odyssey requires between 14.4 and 14.7 volts in order to charge the battery to 100%. The stock alternator output is about 13.6VDC, so I wanted to find a solution to charge the battery. I decided to use a charger the battery completely before going on a trip to ensure optimal performance throughout the trip.

Now I understand that I could opt for a Voltage Booster and/or run a Voltage booster in conjunction with using a charger but I am just speaking to my NOCO products at the moment. The reason I have not opted to use a voltage booster, for the time being, is In order for the voltage booster to charge the vehicle the vehicle has to be on. I wanted a charger to top off the battery and keep it maintained while the runner isn't being used and is sitting especially if I leave the fridge connected. I use my motorcycle mostly for commuting and the 4runner sits unless it's long trips or camping. I also again wanted a charger I could use across multiple platforms and want my battery to be maintained properly when not in use.

I opted for a few of the NOCO products:

1. Noco G7200: I chose this charger from their long list of other Multi-Purpose Chargers for a few reasons.

• I wanted a charger I could charge both Lead Acid and AGM batteries with since I have vehicles that have both and I also wanted to be able to charge my motorcycle along with any other things I own or will own in the future. The output of this charger is ideal for all of this. Their other chargers that would charge the group 31 quicker would not support a motorcycle or smaller battery so I sacrificed time for versatility (which I am completely ok with).

• I wanted a charger that was safe, and NOCO chargers and products scream safety in a lot more than one way. all their chargers are safe to leave connected with zero overcharging. the charger has spark-proof technology on the terminals and reverse polarity protection if you make a mistake. These are just some of the many safety feature their chargers offer.

• They also have advanced diagnostics indication for damaged batteries.

• This charger also has a ton of different supporting accessories in their X-Connect accessories that can be utilized.

2. GC016 X-Connect 12V Dashmount Indicator:

[/LIST]

• I chose this product because I am going to be mounting it in the 4Runner in a place that is visible and easily connectable. this will be just another safety to monitoring the battery health and a place I can easily disconnect and connect the Noco G7200

3. GB70 Jump Starter:

• Lastly, I wanted a compact jump starter to leave in the 4runner just in case the battery does die due to a light being left on or the fridge failsafe fails or even just being drained cause of the cold. I wanted to have the peace of mind of having something that is able to kick over the big battery and bring it back to life.

• I did opt for the bigger charger because I wanted to have more jumps whether I just used it on another vehicle or multiple vehicles I wanted the battery life to do a lot of jumps. This one I have not tried to fit in the glove compartment but I leave this on under my seat in the GBC014 EVA Protective Case For Boost HD

• I also chose NOCO for jump starters for many of the same reasons as their charger; their jump starters are a lithium battery jump starter rated at 2,000 Amps (15,700 Joules3S). which means the battery is gonna last a good long time and have more than a few jumps in it.

Spark-proof connections and reverse polarity protection, it is able to recharge USB devices (like smartphones, tablets, GPS trackers etc..), Power 12V devices anywhere(like tire inflators, power inverters, and more), it has a

400 lumen LED flashlight with multiple modes, including SOS. Lastly, it is able to jump-start gas engines up to 8 liters, and diesel engines up to 6 liters while Providing up to 40 jump starts on a single charge.

And finally, if you are looking to purchase their products use NOCO promo code: T4RNOCO20 for a percentage off!

Here are a few pictures from the products arriving:

Reactions: Viking1204

tdyer55

Rank 0

Contributor I

US
First Name
Troy
Last Name
Dyer
I have a isolator through a 250amp breaker to 3, 1000amp truck batteries. I have a bypass button to use bank to jump start the truck if needed. They are linked to a 5000w inverter. This is in my 94 F350. I have learned that 0 guage wire is needed. Anything less will only show 12v but no power. Those chargers and Buster's are awesome. I would like to get one in the future, especially with the built in solar controller.

64Trvlr

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Northern AZ
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Trvlr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7NAZ
Service Branch
MM1 US Navy
Hey guys, I wanted to share some info about a few products I have recently purchased from NOCO. I recently installed an Odyssey 31M-PC2150ST Battery in my 5th Gen 4Runner in order to handle auxiliary lighting but more so my fridge for several days without the vehicle having to be turned on to recharge the battery or it ends up drained so low it will not crank the vehicle. Upon research, you'll find the Odyssey requires between 14.4 and 14.7 volts in order to charge the battery to 100%. The stock alternator output is about 13.6VDC, so I wanted to find a solution to charge the battery. I decided to use a charger the battery completely before going on a trip to ensure optimal performance throughout the trip.
I understand being worried about the battery being charged after sitting for a while. Have you had your alternator checked to find out why it only puts out 13.6 volts.

dstock

Rank VI

Influencer I

Lake Arrowhead, CA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Stockslager
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZGS
Does the NOCO charger actually put out 14.4-14.7 volts to fully charge the Odyssey battery?

dstock

Rank VI

Influencer I

Lake Arrowhead, CA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Stockslager
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZGS
Does the NOCO charger actually put out 14.4-14.7 volts to fully charge the Odyssey battery?
I found the spec sheet which shows it has an AGM+ mode that goes as high as 15.5 volts. The Odysseys have a very specific charging profile from what I remember when I was dealing with my Diehard Platinums. I'm not sure if using the AGM+ mode would ultimately be damaging to the battery.

systemdelete

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Nashville, TN
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Rumbaugh
Member #

That noco, and several ctek chargers have viable AGM charging profiles built in. For this type setup I generally install solar via mppt over a built in charger, but my trucks generally park outside. This makes a solar panel topping up the battery nearly daily almost foolproof. With a built in charger you’d likely want to plug in nearly daily for the same result.

dstock

Rank VI

Influencer I

Lake Arrowhead, CA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Stockslager
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZGS
That noco, and several ctek chargers have viable AGM charging profiles built in. For this type setup I generally install solar via mppt over a built in charger, but my trucks generally park outside. This makes a solar panel topping up the battery nearly daily almost foolproof. With a built in charger you’d likely want to plug in nearly daily for the same result.
The issue is the Odyssey battery charging profile versus other AGM batteries. There is a CTEK listed on the approved chargers list but no NOCO products.
Approved Odyssey Chargers

Charging Odyssey batteries - pg14 has some specifics
Odyssey Battery Manual

"Determining the charger output voltage is the most important step in the charger qualification process. If the voltage output from the charger is less than 14.2V or more than 15V for a 12V battery, then do not use the charger"

I actually really like NOCO products and own a couple of their products. I just don't want to see the OP damage or shorten the life of his Odyssey battery. Those things aren't cheap!

systemdelete

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Nashville, TN
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Rumbaugh
Member #

The issue is the Odyssey battery charging profile versus other AGM batteries. There is a CTEK listed on the approved chargers list but no NOCO products.
Approved Odyssey Chargers

Charging Odyssey batteries - pg14 has some specifics
Odyssey Battery Manual

"Determining the charger output voltage is the most important step in the charger qualification process. If the voltage output from the charger is less than 14.2V or more than 15V for a 12V battery, then do not use the charger"

I actually really like NOCO products and own a couple of their products. I just don't want to see the OP damage or shorten the life of his Odyssey battery. Those things aren't cheap!
I’m familiar with the odyssey’s charging profile, most of the VictronConnect smart mppt charge controllers can set custom charge voltages for bulk, absorption, and float to match the battery/bank precisely. That’s part of why they are my go-to for maintaining batteries now, on my truck or our bus.

dstock

Rank VI

Influencer I

Lake Arrowhead, CA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Stockslager
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZGS
I’m familiar with the odyssey’s charging profile, most of the VictronConnect smart mppt charge controllers can set custom charge voltages for bulk, absorption, and float to match the battery/bank precisely. That’s part of why they are my go-to for maintaining batteries now, on my truck or our bus.
Victron makes good stuff no question.

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran

Now I understand that I could opt for a Voltage Booster and/or run a Voltage booster in conjunction with using a charger but I am just speaking to my NOCO products at the moment. The reason I have not opted to use a voltage booster, for the time being, is In order for the voltage booster to charge the vehicle the vehicle has to be on. I wanted a charger to top off the battery and keep it maintained while the runner isn't being used and is sitting especially if I leave the fridge connected. I use my motorcycle mostly for commuting and the 4runner sits unless it's long trips or camping. I also again wanted a charger I could use across multiple platforms and want my battery to be maintained properly when not in use.

I opted for a few of the NOCO products:

1. Noco G7200: I chose this charger from their long list of other Multi-Purpose Chargers for a few reasons.

• I wanted a charger I could charge both Lead Acid and AGM batteries with since I have vehicles that have both and I also wanted to be able to charge my motorcycle along with any other things I own or will own in the future. The output of this charger is ideal for all of this. Their other chargers that would charge the group 31 quicker would not support a motorcycle or smaller battery so I sacrificed time for versatility (which I am completely ok with).

• I wanted a charger that was safe, and NOCO chargers and products scream safety in a lot more than one way. all their chargers are safe to leave connected with zero overcharging. the charger has spark-proof technology on the terminals and reverse polarity protection if you make a mistake. These are just some of the many safety feature their chargers offer.

• They also have advanced diagnostics indication for damaged batteries.

• This charger also has a ton of different supporting accessories in their X-Connect accessories that can be utilized.

2. GC016 X-Connect 12V Dashmount Indicator:

[/LIST]

• I chose this product because I am going to be mounting it in the 4Runner in a place that is visible and easily connectable. this will be just another safety to monitoring the battery health and a place I can easily disconnect and connect the Noco G7200

3. GB70 Jump Starter:

• Lastly, I wanted a compact jump starter to leave in the 4runner just in case the battery does die due to a light being left on or the fridge failsafe fails or even just being drained cause of the cold. I wanted to have the peace of mind of having something that is able to kick over the big battery and bring it back to life.

• I did opt for the bigger charger because I wanted to have more jumps whether I just used it on another vehicle or multiple vehicles I wanted the battery life to do a lot of jumps. This one I have not tried to fit in the glove compartment but I leave this on under my seat in the GBC014 EVA Protective Case For Boost HD

• I also chose NOCO for jump starters for many of the same reasons as their charger; their jump starters are a lithium battery jump starter rated at 2,000 Amps (15,700 Joules3S). which means the battery is gonna last a good long time and have more than a few jumps in it.

Spark-proof connections and reverse polarity protection, it is able to recharge USB devices (like smartphones, tablets, GPS trackers etc..), Power 12V devices anywhere(like tire inflators, power inverters, and more), it has a

400 lumen LED flashlight with multiple modes, including SOS. Lastly, it is able to jump-start gas engines up to 8 liters, and diesel engines up to 6 liters while Providing up to 40 jump starts on a single charge.

And finally, if you are looking to purchase their products use NOCO promo code: T4RNOCO20 for a percentage off!

Here are a few pictures from the products arriving:

Thanks, just ordered the NOCO G7200 off Amazon for $99, free delivery by tomorrow! I have some used deep cycle AGM batteries I picked up from work. They were tearing down an UPS and had a bunch of the 99 ah deep cycle batteries they were just going to turn in for recycle so I grabbed 4 of them. They are 3 years old with a life expectancy of 10 years. This NOCO charger will work great for charging and maintaining them! Funny thing is I Googled for a good AGM battery charger and the first review I looked at picked the NOCO G7200 as the best!