Investor

Expedition Master III

Ankeny, IA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

the heated lifepo4 option is great. I wish I could have fit those in my setup. I have a specific spot so I am a bit limited and I didn't really want to build my own pack and all that. I plan on just adding some insulation and my own heating setup with a temp sensor. Should work great but just requires another little system to setup.

So far I have found a few interesting options. Seed germination heater pads (don't get too hot, won't mess with the abs plastic casing), jacket heater pads, and i have seen a lot of people using RV water tank heater pads, but some of them can get pretty hot and I want to limit how much potential heat could be put on the battery.

Reactions: lhoffm4

velo47

Rank VII
Launch Member

Member III

Albuquerque, NM, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Harland
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W3TAX
I just got a Battle Born 100 ah heated lithium battery. Haven't used it yet but got it because I might be in below zero weather (if I go up North, doesn't get really cold where I am right now) & it's the only lithium battery that I came across that can be used in extreme cold. Anyone tried it before?
Relion also has heated batteries - the LT series

Krazyjohnny

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Northwest Arkansas
First Name
John
Last Name
Ruff
So I bounced into the solar generator things. Funny, they do not tell you amphours on these things so you can compare. the nice thing is they can come complete with solar panels and added batteries to augment the power supply. I can get into one of these systems that looks pretty robust for half of the cost of (2) 100 Ah LiFePo batteries, redarc manager 30 and an inverter.

JacksonRL

Rank VII

Educator I

York County, South Carolina, United States
First Name
Jackson
Last Name
Lewis
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
So I bounced into the solar generator things. Funny, they do not tell you amphours on these things so you can compare. the nice thing is they can come complete with solar panels and added batteries to augment the power supply. I can get into one of these systems that looks pretty robust for half of the cost of (2) 100 Ah LiFePo batteries, redarc manager 30 and an inverter.
I was thinking about going with what you were initially saying. But I found the yeti gz and I just couldn’t not do it. Simple plug and play. I do like building things but with electrical …for me anyway, I’d rather just have it do what i need it to do right out of the box. Yeti GZ, Jackery …and all them are about the same.

What did you end up going with? Or are you still deciding?

DustinDeMayo

Rank V

Advocate II

Olathe, Johnson County, Kansas, United States
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
DeMayo
Member #

I have two 100 AH lithium batteries. For my "inverter" I am actually using my ecoflow pro mainly because I already had it and my charging setup charges that aswell essentially giving me almost 300 AH in the truck. I am using the redarc redvision system for my charging and controls. 200 watts of solar on top of my RTT and it also charges off the alternator. With this setup I can work from my truck and pretty much never run out of power. My batteries are just Enjoybot lithium batteries off Amazon. I did a lot of research on batteries and found these. They are great, but they don't have a low temperature cut off, however I installed a RV water tank heater pad to keep them warm if the temperature in the cab ever drops far enough it automatically kicks on and keeps them warm, plus the redarc system will not charge if it's below freezing when the lithium charge profile is selected. All in all I love my setup and it works wonders.

Reactions: REDARC_Ryan

Krazyjohnny

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Northwest Arkansas
First Name
John
Last Name
Ruff
I was thinking about going with what you were initially saying. But I found the yeti gz and I just couldn’t not do it. Simple plug and play. I do like building things but with electrical …for me anyway, I’d rather just have it do what i need it to do right out of the box. Yeti GZ, Jackery …and all them are about the same.

Jackson,

RedArc (Ryan) up there has done a great job of helping me with this. He is one of those guys that actually answers the phone and brings things into perspective for an old fart like me. I am really trying to sort out the batteries them selves. There are so many to choose from and I really want to keep it simple. I should actually start to build things out this weekend.

I got a huge hammer dropped on me yesterday when I went to place an order for some 3/4" Baltic Birch Plywood for this project. Got hit with $174 per 4X8 sheet. Had to regroup a bit as I had anticipated about $75 a sheet. I plan that I will need 4 sheets of this and 4 sheets of 1/2" to do what I want. Plan to build some templates with it as well.

I am still waiting on one of the heavy duty slides to get here as well. I have one of two and the second one seems to be incredibly difficult to get here. It has been lost once, arrived bent once, damaged enroute , and now patiently waiting. Was supposed to be here yesterday.

JacksonRL

Rank VII

Educator I

York County, South Carolina, United States
First Name
Jackson
Last Name
Lewis
Member #

Service Branch
USMC

Jackson,

RedArc (Ryan) up there has done a great job of helping me with this. He is one of those guys that actually answers the phone and brings things into perspective for an old fart like me. I am really trying to sort out the batteries them selves. There are so many to choose from and I really want to keep it simple. I should actually start to build things out this weekend.

I got a huge hammer dropped on me yesterday when I went to place an order for some 3/4" Baltic Birch Plywood for this project. Got hit with $174 per 4X8 sheet. Had to regroup a bit as I had anticipated about $75 a sheet. I plan that I will need 4 sheets of this and 4 sheets of 1/2" to do what I want. Plan to build some templates with it as well.

I am still waiting on one of the heavy duty slides to get here as well. I have one of two and the second one seems to be incredibly difficult to get here. It has been lost once, arrived bent once, damaged enroute , and now patiently waiting. Was supposed to be here yesterday.
Prices of material are ridiculous and I’m afraid it’s only going to get worse now with this Russia thing.

I’ve heard a lot of great things about RedArc. That’s great!

Reactions: REDARC_Ryan

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
Let me do some back of a napkin calculations...
First off, You can/should never completely discharge your batteries. Ideally on LI-ON a rule of thumb is never below 30%. Most manufacturers numbers are based on total amount in the battery, not what is repeatedly available without killing your batteries permanently.
This leaves you with 70% of 340 amp hour leaves you with around 240 watt hours usable.
Your coffee maker is most likely pulling around 1000 watts. That translates to around 80 amps at 12v.
That means that a full charge at optimal temp would run your coffee maker for around 3 hours total. Some coffee makers use 1500 watts.

Your best bet is to start your vehicle and have it charging your batteries while you are making your coffee.