Rank II

Enthusiast III

Northwest Arkansas
First Name
John
Last Name
Ruff
OK gang,

This isn't my first rodeo but, I only want to spend my hard earned cash once. I am looking for some batteries to supply a weekends worth of power for my setup. I have the top for the F250 on order and plan to have a water pump, Dometic CX95 fridge and some LED lights running off of this. I would also like to have my Nespresso coffee worked into the setup also. Don't judge! I have two Honda EU 2000 gensets but, do not want to use them if possible.

I know I will need some sort of inverter and charger but, ultimately looking for batteries. I have seen these batteries by Renogy but, am unsure how good they are. I would really like to have Lithium due to weight savings. Just getting started on planning this one out.

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Iowa, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

I'm in the middle of totally re designing and replacing my aux battery electrical setup. I ended up buying Renogy 170AH batteries (2! oh my). I choose them mainly for the size, they have a 6.1" width. I will be putting them under my rear drawer system where I can keep them fairly warm if needed.

With lithium you will want to keep them inside the cab away from heat. What are your power requirements? (amp hours?) Where are you putting them? Size contraints where a big one for me. I recommend something with built in BMS which can protect them from overcharge, undercharge, temp, etc.

With lithium also, you will want to make sure the other components are setup to charge lithium. (Like a DCDC that has a lithium profile, shore power chargers with li profile, etc. Even how the inverter works can be important to match up.)

Krazyjohnny

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Northwest Arkansas
First Name
John
Last Name
Ruff
Thought I would start with the batteries and build out from there. Looking at DC/DC charger that accommodates multiple battery chemistries. Then an inverter for 120 volt items. Will have a 12V water pump and LED lights and a fridge

Mike W

Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Iowa, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

Thought I would start with the batteries and build out from there. Looking at DC/DC charger that accommodates multiple battery chemistries. Then an inverter for 120 volt items. Will have a 12V water pump and LED lights and a fridge
Ya, I would start with where you want them, rough AH you want, then take a look at Renogy, BattleBorn, etc. Renogy tends to be a little cheaper per AH and they have a sale right now. I got 20% off plus i found some random coupon code that saved me another few hundred bucks. Still sank ~$2400 into batteries, but Ill have 340 useable amp hours in a Land Rover... lol. I have maybe 60 AH now with my AGM setup and that's with possible shortened life of the batteries.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Why does nobody talk about ah and how those ratings are only at 1 amp an hour for the amount of hours the ah rating is on the battery.
So if I have an 100ah battery @1amp an hour and if I'm running an electronic that draws 40 amps an hour I will only have 2.5 hours of amps usable before that battery is flat.

I use the same 3 deep cycle rv/marine deep cycle agm for camping, on my boat, for a few of my tractors, and in emergencies all 3 are 140ah so if I used 40a and have all 3 wired together I get 10.5 hours of usable power at 40amp

• Love
Reactions: old_man

Mike W

Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Iowa, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

Why does nobody talk about ah and how those ratings are only at 1 amp an hour for the amount of hours the ah rating is on the battery.
So if I have an 100ah battery @1amp an hour and if I'm running an electronic that draws 40 amps an hour I will only have 2.5 hours of amps usable before that battery is flat.

I use the same 3 deep cycle rv/marine deep cycle agm for camping, on my boat, for a few of my tractors, and in emergencies all 3 are 140ah so if I used 40a and have all 3 wired together I get 10.5 hours of usable power at 40amp
AGM have about 50% depth of charge, and unless you want to damage them you only have about half the useable ah. my old system is 150 Ah of total agm battery, but in practice only about 60 useable. plus starting batteries don’t last long if you deep discharge them.

lifepo4 on the other hand can do 90% depth of charge pretty easily without damage. 2000+ cycles and then you still have 90% capacity in most cases.

Kozysnack

Rank VII
Investor

Expedition Master I

Austin, Travis County, Texas, United States
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Ely
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRNX949 is my GMRS, haven't taken my test yet but working on the HAM
Service Branch
USAF BRAT
Something to think about is pre chilling your fridge, have some items that can be frozen packed in with the rest.
We plug ours in a day or two before the trip. Frozen egg beaters, bacon, vodka, even some nice thick steaks all help to keep the chill on the rest.
Also we have solar that we can deploy, plugs for shore power when available with adapters to knock down to 110v and a mix of 12v chargers.

BoomTator

Rank III

Enthusiast I

Susquehanna County, Pennsylvania, United States
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Cannon
Member #

What do you have drawing 40 amps?

Be

lhoffm4

Rank III

Advocate I

Boise, Idaho
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hoffman
Service Branch
US Navy
I like that folks are suggesting that you consider not building off the battery but off the power you need/want. With two x 2000watt gen ya, you should have all the AC power you need. One or both can charge what ever battery bank you come up with. Adding solar to the mix extends your battery bank usability as well as reduces your reliance on the genny(s). LiFePO4 batts are the most expensive if bought commercially packaged but can be quite competitively priced if diy’ day component level. My advice there is go big or rely on the genus. By big, I’d say at least 200 amp hours plus solar at at least 100-200 amp hours with all the extras: charge controllers, bms, 200watt+ inverter, yada yada. The kicker is how much pier do you need? Plan for the max then build a scalable system. You are money ahead with two gents that can work triple duty- stand alone, in series or in parallel. Having them already gives you options. A battery system is the same, just more options. Build it scalable and you increase options. Dedicate it to your 12v accessories and you start limiting (potentially) those options. A battery backup plan is cheaper than a complete off grid 12v system. The more you want it to do, the more it costs to scale up. Like I offered someone advice on another thread- share with us both your current and your dream set up and how you will use it and we can offer better ideas on how to use what you have and how to get you to where you want to go.

Reactions: Kozysnack

Krazyjohnny

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Northwest Arkansas
First Name
John
Last Name
Ruff
Well I plan to have a Dometic 75 or 95 CX fridge some led camp lights 12 V water pump and a 3000 watt inverter to run a coffee maker.

I really think 200 AH will be pretty good . Looking at the Renogy LiFePO 100 AH batteries with their DC-DC charger that can accommodate solar charging as well as alternator charging while on the road and multiple battery chemistries. Coffee maker pulls 1300 watts at about 5 mins. So don’t know if I can git er’ done without the gen.

All of this I plan to install in the bed of my F250. Plan to integrate it into my drawer/platform system. Would be really nice if it could run heated mattress cover but, that may be a bit much without shore power or the genset. I have a twinning kit for the two EU2000 gens and have used them to run our previous 30’ Airstream with AC and microwave. Just was trying to simplify a bit for those quiet riverside spots.

Krazyjohnny

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Northwest Arkansas
First Name
John
Last Name
Ruff
My other issue is locating the fridge. I would like to have it live off of the bumper of the trick on a swing out. I plan to get the insulating cover for it but, cannot find how well it would hold up to being outside.

leeloo

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Luxembourg
First Name
Mihai
Last Name
Doros
Member #

I would not keep a fridge outside, an Engel might cut it but even than it will have a rough life. They are expensive.
I had a pickup with a canopy (toper called in US I think ? ) . I had the fridge on a fridge slide right near the tailgate, I would slide it over the tailgate and everything is easy accessible.
The fridge slide was bolted on, but not a huge issue for me, after you remove the fridge you just have a small frame left a bit raised from the floor, so if you could live with that, it will be better for the life of your equipment.

M Chattanooga

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Chattanooga, TN, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Mitchell
Member #

I just got a Battle Born 100 ah heated lithium battery. Haven't used it yet but got it because I might be in below zero weather (if I go up North, doesn't get really cold where I am right now) & it's the only lithium battery that I came across that can be used in extreme cold. Anyone tried it before?

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I just got a Battle Born 100 ah heated lithium battery. Haven't used it yet but got it because I might be in below zero weather (if I go up North, doesn't get really cold where I am right now) & it's the only lithium battery that I came across that can be used in extreme cold. Anyone tried it before?
We are using them up here in our repeaters

Reactions: M Chattanooga

M Chattanooga

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Chattanooga, TN, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Mitchell
Member #

Good to know & guessing they work pretty well. Thought about getting an agm battery (think it's called agm) but was told you can drain them only half way before needing to recharge. Seems like the Battle Born is a good way to have a lithium battery that you can use in extreme cold.

Anyway signing off for tonight and thank you for the reply.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Good to know & guessing they work pretty well. Thought about getting an agm battery (think it's called agm) but was told you can drain them only half way before needing to recharge. Seems like the Battle Born is a good way to have a lithium battery that you can use in extreme cold.

Anyway signing off for tonight and thank you for the reply.
They are working very well… they have to…

and yes AGM can only be drained about 50% at most