louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
i bought these and they are ok. might get 3 miles over flat and semi-wooded areas
mainly bought them for communicating when in a group, so distance really isn't that big a deal since everyone stays within a mile or so
they are inexpensive...i bought 2 radios for less than my gmrs license cost

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Hard to program. Seriously. You’re going to want software to do it.

I‘d recommend going after a Midland mobile radio instead. Along the lines of the MXT115 or MXT275. The range will be much better with an external antenna.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Baofeng now has a dedicated GMRS radio that is FCC approved. All channels are preset per FCC regulation.

That being said I dont know of anyone using them or do I really like the Baofeng products. But this new GMRS does look good.

Last edited:

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

I've used the Baofeng UV-5R 8 Watt version for a couple of years. No issues with it at all. It's very clear, is stronger output wise compared to most handhelds, and it's cheap! I also have a couple of Midland handhelds as well. They all basically do the same thing, designed to be used for small groups, generally within fairly close range of each other. Buy either, and you'll have no regrets.

DustyDawg

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Indianapolis, Marion County, Indiana, United States
First Name
rex
Last Name
rodwell
I have been using the UV-5R for several years...they are cheap so buy 2 or 3... I had one just give up the ghost for no reason, so was glad I had another.. If you want the radio to have a whole menu of frequencies then you need the Chirp program to to program it. Chirp is free. But if your going with a group with one or two GMRS freq's. You can just manually input those into the radio.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
I used a uv-5r for about 18 months before picking up my mxt-275.

It worked great, and I almost just moved the setup to the X when I bought it.

If you're going to use it in the vehicle as your primary radio, I'd recommend using an external antenna. This will greatly increase your range, as the signal doesn't have to pass through a large metal box (provided you can still swap antennas). If not, it's still a great radio, and it's cheap.

Reactions: Fat-Tire

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
In Germany/Europe, the Federal Network Agency has recently prohibited to continue to distribute, make available, place on the market and pass on of several BAOFENG devices, including the UV-5R 5W HT. The given reason is that it was determined that the affected devices do not comply with the requirements of the Radio Equipment Act (FuAG), the declaration of conformity is incorrect and laboratory measurements / investigations have shown that various EU directives are not met. If I remember correctly, one of the issues was the transmission in addition to the permissible bandwidth.

Wanderer351

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder III

bladensburg,ohio
Member #

I have three of theBAOFENG five VR and absolutely love them the magnet mount and adapter significantly increase the range to 5 to 8 miles. We typically use them when we’re In a convoy traveling . my only complaint is the battery life is not up for a full day of chatter. But they make a auxiliary battery has a USB charge port in the side of it so you can plug it in while you’re out on the road.

The program software is super easy to use. You can download all the channels from the existing ham radio databases that will also include the offsets for hitting the repeaters in your area. I use mine is ham and GMRS and FRS as well as NOAA and my local sheriff police fire and first aid stations that are listen only.

Use radio reference logging in is free it will let you search by region and type

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
I have three of theBAOFENG five VR and absolutely love them the magnet mount and adapter significantly increase the range to 5 to 8 miles. We typically use them when we’re In a convoy traveling . my only complaint is the battery life is not up for a full day of chatter. But they make a auxiliary battery has a USB charge port in the side of it so you can plug it in while you’re out on the road.

The program software is super easy to use. You can download all the channels from the existing ham radio databases that will also include the offsets for hitting the repeaters in your area. I use mine is ham and GMRS and FRS as well as NOAA and my local sheriff police fire and first aid stations that are listen only.

Use radio reference logging in is free it will let you search by region and type

They also make a 12v powered battery eliminator. That way, you don't need to worry about the battery at all.

Reactions: Wanderer351

Wanderer351

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder III

bladensburg,ohio
Member #

They also make a 12v powered battery eliminator. That way, you don't need to worry about the battery at all.
I would forget and go to take it out and spot someone only to be talking into a radio with no power ;)

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
I would forget and go to take it out and spot someone only to be talking into a radio with no power ;)
Haha. That's fair! It's always good to have a separate spotting radio as well. I keep my baofend clipped to a pocket on the side of the front passenger seat in the Xterra. If I need to hand it to someone to spot, it's right there.

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
In Germany/Europe, the Federal Network Agency has recently prohibited to continue to distribute, make available, place on the market and pass on of several BAOFENG devices, including the UV-5R 5W HT. The given reason is that it was determined that the affected devices do not comply with the requirements of the Radio Equipment Act (FuAG), the declaration of conformity is incorrect and laboratory measurements / investigations have shown that various EU directives are not met. If I remember correctly, one of the issues was the transmission in addition to the permissible bandwidth.
To translate, the authorities don't like the fact that you can program the radio to operate outside the legal bands.

SpookyII

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Danbury, CT, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
SmoothOperators
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC10IM
Ive used UV-5R's and the newer BF-F8HPs for years and they are fantastic. Do yourself a favor and get the baofeng brand programming cable and download the Chirp app to your computer for programming. There is a wealth of helpful programming vids on Youtube that explain the process. This helps (if you are new to HAM) understand local stations, repeaters, and uploading common WX, FRS and GMRS channels. I also highly suggest getting your HAM tech license as a minimum to stay in semi-compliance with the FCC. These units are overpowered and not Part 95 compliant as is necessary to transmit on a lot of VHF bands, but if used properly and courteously, you will not have an issue. I intend to hard install a Btech (Part of baofeng brand) mobile 25watt Quad band in my rig soon, reserving my handhelds for hikes. There is ALOT of gear out there, but these are a great bang for the buck.

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
The antenna is often the limiting factor for handheld radios. If you really want to use the device not only for very short distances, it can make sense to use a better antenna. Attention: Please note regulations, e.g. legal PMR devices (PMR in Europe is comparable to FRS) do not have detachable antennas, so there are no other antenna options available for them.

JL MADDOG

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Apache Junction, AZ
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Kahut
Service Branch
USAF
I purchased two Baofeng G11S GMRS radios last year and they've worked well. If I ever decide I want more range I may upgrade to a in-cab unit with external antenna or add an antenna that I can fasten to the Baofeng units.