Launch Member

Enthusiast I

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Lory
Last Name
Perfect
Member #

Hola amigos! I see very little activity on this app for Baja California Mexico. I’m been exploring the backroads off Baja for 30+ years and I’m a gringa. If anyone has questions feel free to ask me. I’ll be posting some adventure routes soon. Baja is completely different than mainland Mexico. Adios

BajaLory

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Lory
Last Name
Perfect
Member #

Hi Betty, I’m just getting into overlanding (selling my Tesla and getting either a forester or Crosstrek). I surf quite a bit and want to explore taking some trips down to Baja. Do you have any tips for getting started, or more surf oriented trips?
Hola sorry I just saw this! Yes lots of places to surf on the Pacific side. U may have already researched good spots. Lookup Cuatro Casas Hostel. Can camp right in front on cliff overlooking Pacific. Do not just camp anywhere on coast or by yourself. I have a Subi crosstrek & a gen3 4Runner. I led a trip last week south for 3nights it was a blast.

San Miguel playa in El Sausalito is a ok beach for surfing too. If taking a Subi south have a good spare not that little donut tire, Be fully self contained for traveling in Baja. Ru going to either of the Overland Expos? I’ll be at both Loveland & Flagstaff.

Reactions: SkunkedGorilla

oeb0630

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Gainesville, GA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Gray
Member #

Hi Betty - thank you for posting this. I am beginning the preliminary planning session for a 7-10 day baja experience next spring......I think I am going to have A LOT of questions.....

BajaLory

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Lory
Last Name
Perfect
Member #

Well I can assist for sure. Are you going to Overland Expo in Colorado or Flagstaff? I'll be presenting at both events so we could chat.

oeb0630

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Gainesville, GA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Gray
Member #

Well I can assist for sure. Are you going to Overland Expo in Colorado or Flagstaff? I'll be presenting at both events so we could chat.
Unfortunately, I will not be able to attend either. I can DM you here with some questions, or if you would prefer to DM me better contact info (email or phone#) if that is more efficient for you.

Adventures With Maud

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Pine, CO, USA
First Name
Kenneth
Last Name
Elsner
Member #

Hola Betty. We are starting to make plans to travel the west coast of Baja down to Cabo and then back up the Cortez side. About 2-2 1/2 weeks. Driving my Land Rover Defender with wife and two teenagers. Thoughts, suggestions and advice appreciated...

Ken

BajaLory

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Lory
Last Name
Perfect
Member #

Hola Betty. We are starting to make plans to travel the west coast of Baja down to Cabo and then back up the Cortez side. About 2-2 1/2 weeks. Driving my Land Rover Defender with wife and two teenagers. Thoughts, suggestions and advice appreciated...

Ken
Hey Ken

Wow there's alot to talk about. Planning on camping the entire trip or combo of camping and "other"? Other in Baja could be hostels, airbnb or hotels. My favs are hostels and airbnb - great value and we get to meet other travelers and find out about their adventures.

What specifically do you, wife & kids want to see or do?
Which month or apprx dates of travel? That may determine your route. Elevation-weather-season - it all depends on time of year. Did you know it snows in Baja?

Start learning basic Spanish now - Duolingo app is excellent. Need to know how to order food, directions, reservations....etc. easy peasy.

We may need to talk on the phone
Lorena

Adventures With Maud

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Pine, CO, USA
First Name
Kenneth
Last Name
Elsner
Member #

Hey Ken

Wow there's alot to talk about. Planning on camping the entire trip or combo of camping and "other"? Other in Baja could be hostels, airbnb or hotels. My favs are hostels and airbnb - great value and we get to meet other travelers and find out about their adventures.

What specifically do you, wife & kids want to see or do?
Which month or apprx dates of travel? That may determine your route. Elevation-weather-season - it all depends on time of year. Did you know it snows in Baja?

Start learning basic Spanish now - Duolingo app is excellent. Need to know how to order food, directions, reservations....etc. easy peasy.

We may need to talk on the phone
Lorena
Hi Betty. Thanks for the reply. Been a bit busy around here. here are a few thoughts.

My Land Rover is outfitted to be able to go anywhere, so I'm wanting to camp. The plan for now is to enter probably at Tecate and then head down the pacific side, cross over and end in Cabo and then do the return on the Cortez side. I'm thinking mid December for 2-2 1/2 weeks. Also thinking of getting an Airbnb in Cabo for a couple of days around the holidays. We want experiences this year rather than useless presents

M Chattanooga

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Chattanooga, TN, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Mitchell
Member #

Hey Betty (& hello everyone eise). Might be in Mexico in November & December & would love to hear about good places to go there. If I go, will be in a Toyota Tacoma with rooftop tent etc and would love to mostly be sleeping in the tent if possible, but hostels would also work. Cheers, M (most people call me M, but real name is Mark)

BajaLory

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Lory
Last Name
Perfect
Member #

Hey Betty (& hello everyone eise). Might be in Mexico in November & December & would love to hear about good places to go there. If I go, will be in a Toyota Tacoma with rooftop tent etc and would love to mostly be sleeping in the tent if possible, but hostels would also work. Cheers, M (most people call me M, but real name is Mark)
Lots of great places to camp but do not camp alone from Tijuana to El Rosario. Camping with a group is best in remote areas. Cuatro Casas Hostel is a great safe place to camp right out front. Nice hot shower too. Cuatro Casas Hostel

Nov and Dec is best weather along the gulf side of the peninsula. Lots of great places north and south of San Felipe and Gonzaga too.

Bay of LA has great places to camp as well. DO NOT drive at night Mex highways. I hoping you know all about getting your FMM at mex immigration at the border and buy mex auto insurance b4 you leave. Those two things are most important.

I'll be in Baja Sur Nov to December.

M Chattanooga

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Chattanooga, TN, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Mitchell
Member #

Lots of great places to camp but do not camp alone from Tijuana to El Rosario. Camping with a group is best in remote areas. Cuatro Casas Hostel is a great safe place to camp right out front. Nice hot shower too. Cuatro Casas Hostel

Nov and Dec is best weather along the gulf side of the peninsula. Lots of great places north and south of San Felipe and Gonzaga too.

Bay of LA has great places to camp as well. DO NOT drive at night Mex highways. I hoping you know all about getting your FMM at mex immigration at the border and buy mex auto insurance b4 you leave. Those two things are most important.

I'll be in Baja Sur Nov to December.
Those are all good suggestions & thanks so much.

Turns our I won't be in Mexico this month. Not sure when I'll be there, but sooner rather than later.

Good to know about the hostel with warm shower & will remember it when I finally get to Mexico.

Heard about the stuff you need to drive in Mexico and yes will get that stuff before I go.

Thank you again and enjoy your travels.

M

phlfly

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Leesburg, VA, USA
First Name
Vadim
Last Name
Zubkov
Member #

Just what i was looking for. We are East coast people, so no knowledge about the Baja. But this coming summer will be in San diego for my daughter soccer tournament at end of June. So we are planing to go into Baja on June 28th or something. I need all kind directions. We are planning to spend three days camping on west coast and spend another 3-4 days on East coast. I thought rent something for couple days so everyone chill out on beach.
1, Border crossing
2. Dog paper work
3. truck paper work
4. Passport
5. first day driving - how far I should go to have a safe camping
6. Best no crowd beach on west coast. I have some ideas per Youtubers
7. Best not crowd place on East coat and save town down there, like should I go way down past Bahía de los Ángeles
8. Guiding

9. Pay camping with security. My wife and daughter is worry a little.

I posted this thread to see of anyone interested to cross border together at least and drive few hundred miles down.

Hola amigos! I see very little activity on this app for Baja California Mexico. I’m been exploring the backroads off Baja for 30+ years and I’m a gringa. If anyone has questions feel free to ask me. I’ll be posting some adventure routes soon. Baja is completely different than mainland Mexico. Adios

Jay Smallen

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Gardnerville Ranchos, NV, USA
First Name
Jay
Last Name
Smallen
Member #

Hello @BajaBetty ! Thanks a ton for getting this topic going! My wife, dog and I have this on our radar. Maybe next winter 2023/2024 for a week and hopefully two ish weeks. My wife is nervous about going over the border and pretty much everything else about it. Horror stories from the news over the years I think. I want to get her comfortable in understanding what's to be expected before we go, but not completely sure on how to go about it all lol!! She wants to go, but is nervous. I am not too nervous and enjoy the unknown. We will be traveling solo without any other rigs I think. We'd like to go down the East coast of the peninsula, camp, relax, fish, explore remote spots and do whatever, but would like to stay as safe as we can. We're very friendly people and enjoy meeting people, just not the wrong kind. We'll be coming down from Nevada and can cross in from CA, or AZ.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Hello @BajaBetty ! Thanks a ton for getting this topic going! My wife, dog and I have this on our radar. Maybe next winter 2023/2024 for a week and hopefully two ish weeks. My wife is nervous about going over the border and pretty much everything else about it. Horror stories from the news over the years I think. I want to get her comfortable in understanding what's to be expected before we go, but not completely sure on how to go about it all lol!! She wants to go, but is nervous. I am not too nervous and enjoy the unknown. We will be traveling solo without any other rigs I think. We'd like to go down the East coast of the peninsula, camp, relax, fish, explore remote spots and do whatever, but would like to stay as safe as we can. We're very friendly people and enjoy meeting people, just not the wrong kind. We'll be coming down from Nevada and can cross in from CA, or AZ.
I have been traveling Baja for 60 years, started as a kid. The fear factor is real for many, I take new folks south and love as they discover how safe it is. I mostly travel solo and don't have issues, I do pay attention to what's going on, and will move on if something doesn't look or feel right. The cartels are not interested in travelers, if you are not in the drug game, you'll are fine. Many town/fish camps will have tweekers, I ether camp with others or miles away from any town or fish camp. The idea is safety in numbers or not enough profit to travel away the easy marks closer to town/camp.
For my fist trip I would stay on 5 and 1 for the most part and see the standard stuff. Grab a hotel every fews days. Plan on traveling about 6 to 8 hours per day. The tip is 20 to 25 hours of driving. Depending on when you want to go would determine your entertainment, grey whales in late Jan to March, east side in fall to spring, unless you like the extreme heat. There are missions to see, plenty of fishing both shore and boat, off road races to watch. 2 weeks is a nice way to much of Baja, you'll ether love and get the fever or you'll never go back. PM if you would to discuss more.

Reactions: Jay Smallen

Jay Smallen

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Gardnerville Ranchos, NV, USA
First Name
Jay
Last Name
Smallen
Member #

I have been traveling Baja for 60 years, started as a kid. The fear factor is real for many, I take new folks south and love as they discover how safe it is. I mostly travel solo and don't have issues, I do pay attention to what's going on, and will move on if something doesn't look or feel right. The cartels are not interested in travelers, if you are not in the drug game, you'll are fine. Many town/fish camps will have tweekers, I ether camp with others or miles away from any town or fish camp. The idea is safety in numbers or not enough profit to travel away the easy marks closer to town/camp.
For my fist trip I would stay on 5 and 1 for the most part and see the standard stuff. Grab a hotel every fews days. Plan on traveling about 6 to 8 hours per day. The tip is 20 to 25 hours of driving. Depending on when you want to go would determine your entertainment, grey whales in late Jan to March, east side in fall to spring, unless you like the extreme heat. There are missions to see, plenty of fishing both shore and boat, off road races to watch. 2 weeks is a nice way to much of Baja, you'll ether love and get the fever or you'll never go back. PM if you would to discuss more.
Thanks so much Mike! Greatly appreciate you sharing and I'm taking notes. And at some point I'll probably take you up on that message invite. Thank you again and you have a Merry Christmas

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I hope you and yo
Thanks so much Mike! Greatly appreciate you sharing and I'm taking notes. And at some point I'll probably take you up on that message invite. Thank you again and you have a Merry Christmas
I hope you and yours have a very Merry Christmas too. Contact me anytime.

Reactions: Jay Smallen