Stephen
Last Name
Fry
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4VYV
Service Branch
Air Force / Army
We are travelling over a 3 month period starting August 2022 from our Home In North Georgia up through Colorado to Prudhoe Bay, Alaska then down through the coast of Oregon making our way inland down to Mexicali, Mexico where we will cross the boarder trying to stick to the Sea of Cortez down to Cabo San Lucas and back up the western Baja Peninsula up through San Diego up to Utah and making our way back home. We are doing this as part of a initiative to bring bring awareness to Veteran Suicide and a Stop 22 Project. I will be traveling with my Spouse and my Service Dog as well as our Catahoula in our new 2022 Diesel Jeep Gladiator Rubicon that will be built for this trip and more.

We are seeking any assistance for trip planning with routes, locations etc. Started to plan trip and had some issues as we’ve never been down to the Baja and well don’t know where to go or where to avoid. Ensuring we are traveling on driveable through ways without getting in trouble fuel wise. Hopefully Long Range America can help us here. We talked a year ago about this but haven’t moved due to COVID pushing the project back a year. I appreciate your help and assistance. Tools I have Gaia, iOverlander, Google Maps, Paper Atlas. Knowing planned route is a suggestion we hope to track our route in Gaia and share with our Patreon’s when we get to that point in our journey. We will be posting up this trip on our Instagram and YouTube. See link below of interested. The support is greatly appreciated.

Richard Derr

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Kent, WA, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Derr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
k5rkd
Service Branch
US AIR FORCE
Make sure you check on availability of diesel in Mexico

Reactions: 2dub

Gladiator Overland

Rank IV

Explorer I

Cherry Log, Fannin County, Georgia, United States
First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Fry
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4VYV
Service Branch
Air Force / Army
Make sure you check on availability of diesel in Mexico
Thank you I’ve done this at length with someone who is familiar with this. ULSD is available there can go back and find information if someone is interested. Issue is where gas stations are or if they are out of gas etc.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

There are plenty of Gas Stations al over Baja, if a town doesn't have a station there is a person selling g out of 55's.

How many drive days do you plan in Baja. Will you be posting up for many days? Are you interested in anything else while you are there? Baja is my go place and would love to help out. I have been in Baja surfing and fishing, kayaking driving. 23 days sense Oct 1. (2 trips).

Last edited:
Reactions: CMac

Gladiator Overland

Rank IV

Explorer I

First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Fry
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4VYV
Service Branch
Air Force / Army
Diesel will not be a problem. How many drive days do you plan in Baja, Will you be posting up for many days? Are you interested in anything else while you are there? Baja is my go place and would love to help out.
I’m open honestly. Want to see stuff but not be driving every day. Want to drive away from the border for sure then just kinda take it easy. If a place is worth staying we will stay. I’ve got up to a month tentatively to do just Baja. Figured two months to do Colorado to Alaska down to the border. Then say a month to do Baja up to Utah take of course from the upper trip. We could have done longer. But limited because of medical and medication issues to 3 months or outta meds.

Gladiator Overland

Rank IV

Explorer I

First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Fry
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4VYV
Service Branch
Air Force / Army
Secondly I’ve been researching doing deletes as I want to go further than just Mexico and will be wanting to visit Australia eventually. A delete would be my best option for sure. Yet, it’s something that I didn’t want to have to do out of the gate. Major concern right now is just EGR plate. Then maybe a tune depending of what gets done here. It’s a heck of a build and need to control what I spend off the top. When you end up nearing 100k for a build you tend to pucker a bit. But something I’ve wanted to do and planned financially for years. Fingers crossed I can pull that part off.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Diesel is all over and DEF is a bit harder to find. There are Auto Zones in many major towns. DEF is around mostly.

KAIONE

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Vancouver, WA, USA
First Name
Kanak
Last Name
Attack
Member #

We are travelling over a 3 month period starting August 2022 from our Home In North Georgia up through Colorado to Prudhoe Bay, Alaska then down through the coast of Oregon making our way inland down to Mexicali, Mexico where we will cross the boarder trying to stick to the Sea of Cortez down to Cabo San Lucas and back up the western Baja Peninsula up through San Diego up to Utah and making our way back home. We are doing this as part of a initiative to bring bring awareness to Veteran Suicide and a Stop 22 Project. I will be traveling with my Spouse and my Service Dog as well as our Catahoula in our new 2022 Diesel Jeep Gladiator Rubicon that will be built for this trip and more.

We are seeking any assistance for trip planning with routes, locations etc. Started to plan trip and had some issues as we’ve never been down to the Baja and well don’t know where to go or where to avoid. Ensuring we are traveling on driveable through ways without getting in trouble fuel wise. Hopefully Long Range America can help us here. We talked a year ago about this but haven’t moved due to COVID pushing the project back a year. I appreciate your help and assistance. Tools I have Gaia, iOverlander, Google Maps, Paper Atlas. Knowing planned route is a suggestion we hope to track our route in Gaia and share with our Patreon’s when we get to that point in our journey. We will be posting up this trip on our Instagram and YouTube. See link below of interested. The support is greatly appreciated.
I used to manage a Baja race team and I always liked the road to San Felipe from Ensenada where the races started. From SF head to Bay of LA, then cross over to Guerrero Negro. Unless you want to stay on the inland side, check weather make the call down there, go to Santa Rosalia. If u head to GN, u can get to San Ignacio, big long beaches to Las Barrancas down to Todos Santos. Again keep checking the weather, you can flip flop sides to get better conditions. Take diesel treatment to get the water out, you’ll start blowing white smoke and know. Tons of race tracks to La Paz, less to Cabo. Take cheap trinkets if can, we always have stickers and hats to locals, police and feds, it’s a good faith gesture. Lots of Imodium just in case and some z-packs if u can get them. You can look up some of the old race course tracks to find decent roads, SCORE website should have good updates about areas as well. Sounds like a blast, have a great trip!

Joe77

Rank II

Enthusiast I

CA, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Rodriguez
Member #

Not able to find the link here but will research you on Tube

Gladiator Overland

Rank IV

Explorer I

First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Fry
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4VYV
Service Branch
Air Force / Army
We appreciate your support. Try this. Should have all our accounts. I’ll add it to a signature. We had under our profile.

Last edited:

caj13

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Auberry, CA, USA
First Name
carl
Last Name
johansson
I appreciate what you are doing, it's a horrible epidemic of service members suicide. Anything that can be done is welcomed. I have driven the Baja peninsula several times. as stated LSD is not a problem. There are some issues with Robberies / shakedowns etc you need to be aware of, and plan for (to avoid) . as you get further south of the USA border, the issues seem to decline, but - it is a bit of a crap shoot. If it were me i would cross at Mexicali, and go to San Felipe, from there the newly paved road makes for easy travel. you might want to check out Gonzaga bay for a few days. Bay of Los Angeles is a great place to spend a day or 2. further south I would get to the Los Barilles area, spend a week there if you are snorkelers, fishermen or just tourists. a descent population of Ex Pats to help out / advise. for me, I favor the small fishing villages and towns, try and avoid the tourist traps. for that reason, Los Cabos has some Utility as a costco restocking place, but I am not much for the tourista vibe it carries.

I can walk/ talk you through some of this, just contact me, Id be glad to share my experiences if you think it might help you.

btw - I work extensively with and have close ties and connections with the Semper fi & Americas fund. Home | Semper Fi & America's Fund check em out, one of their programs is a neural feedback Program that is getting good results working with addiction, PTSD and other issues, check out the website, if you think they may be of help to you or anyone of your members or other vets - please reach out to them - they work very fast and efficently - not caught up in alot of red tape and beurocracy. or contact me, I'll be the front man for you.

Last edited:

TonyP

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Ramona, Ca
Member #

Just my thought but Mexicali to Gonzaga bay (4 hours) I would Stay at Papa Fernandez, best beach camping if you want to get in the water. You can also camp at Beluga (fresh water shower) the Whale sharks should be in and you will have a chance to swim with them. Nex stop I would make is Bahia De Los Angeles, Camp Geco is nice, the museum is very cool. Once your done with BDLA the choice is to go south on the dirt road or back the Mex 1 both to Guerero Negro. The dirt road is a great adventure taking you to several isolated beaches, great fishing and swimming. Worth a stop in San Fransiscito. In Guerero Nego you can take a boat ride to see the gray whales. Well, that's Baja, now you have the other half, Baja Sur Safe travels

Reactions: KAIONE

davis31052

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Eddie
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Service Branch
U.S. Marines
Following this cause I want to go down there from Nevada in the summer or winter of 2023