Baja 4000 Rally any interest?

• HTML tutorial

R2.8 Brute

Rank 0

Traveler I

For those who are unaware this event is slated to start January 2019, it is a 3000mile trip over 10 days, leaving Los Angeles heading down the east side of Baja to Cabo then up the west side ending in LA. There are two classes, touring and race, it is not a timed event it is a points event the only difference between the class is the race class has 9 special legs again not timed. this all about navigation through Baja, the event is held every 2 years and coordinated by the same group as the Budapest to Bamako africa 10k rally
also this a charity fund raising event for the children of baja.

I will be finishing the Brute upgrades about mid february and it then start numerous shakedowns to work out and durability issues. Essentially the only item left from the rubicon is the transfer case, it is getting a new cummins engine, transmission, differentials, steering and suspension the items are all upgraded and new. the upgrades are tailored around endurance and comfort while being self reliant
I will post up the truck in a separate short build segment.

OK so what i am wondering is the anyone interested in being a co-driver? If so I would like to hear from you,
gender type is not a requirement, Having good travel planning skills, navigation skills, baja travel experience, Spanish language are all pluses, must be able to handle austere travel for 10 days ( no hotels minimum baths etc), and have good mobility for recovery. complimentary skills are important along with a good personality. No interest in "know it alls" Cost will be half the entry about $700 plus food portion and incidentals.
Cheers
Pete

Reactions: Road and Kent R

BAJAJULIO

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

32.0546665,-116.8793335
Member #

If any one else is interested in this upcoming event in Jan of 2019 and want to talk to someone who has done it (2017) and the Bamako (2018) will gladly give you some tips and or whatever you may want to know about them. Cheers from OB4849.

Reactions: Road

BAJAJULIO

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

32.0546665,-116.8793335
Member #

Hello Monark.....Navigation is the key to a succesful run. Every day at 7am you will receive a navigation sheet with 15 to 20 gps points...as you go down the Peninsula. You want a good gps device to plug in the coordinates QUICKLY AND EASILY to go to each point to look for the leter or number there. The route is not impossible but Navg. Is tje most important skill needed. If it does not rain like last year....then it will be great. If you have any specific questions....let me know. Glad to help.

monark192

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Vista, CA, USA
First Name
Simon
Last Name
Clark
Member #

Thanks Julio - what GPS did you use and would you recommend it? I am sure I will have more questions as your the first person I have run across who did it in 2017.

Simon

BAJAJULIO

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

32.0546665,-116.8793335
Member #

Hey Simon....we used the new 276cx Garmin BUT it was really inefficient in inputting the coordinates ( due to garmin system procedure) The best system is one where you can punch in the 2 sequences of coordinates directly on the screen....like a top sjelf LOWRENCE. TOUCH SCREEN. Also look into the tablet systems available. Also all race teams must have a SAT phone. You can rent for 100 bucks +-.

SpikeMD

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Granite Bay, CA
First Name
Ted
Last Name
Speicher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WJ6SPK
Sounds like a really cool rally. Will have to look into it more. I have a new build (Rover D110) I'm working on. How many participants?

BAJAJULIO

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

32.0546665,-116.8793335
Member #

Hello SPIKE. Event held every other year. 2017 was first. There were 20 Race Teams and maybe 40 to 50 in Touring class. Full event even in Race can be done in a Rented 4x4. There is a FB page. Check it out.

Reactions: Kent R

monark192

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Vista, CA, USA
First Name
Simon
Last Name
Clark
Member #

Spike - their website at www.baja4000.org has some info and will link you to the Facebook group.

Julio - Thanks for the info. I guess going on to do the Africa event is a good indication of how you feel about the organizers.

BAJAJULIO

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

32.0546665,-116.8793335
Member #

We did Race .....But now in Future events if there is a Touring catagory ...will probably do that. Race catag. is a go go go affair. If you want to smell the Roses...do Touring. You do the same route (in a 4x4) but with less pressure ....because you also must do and find specific. letters or numbers in race that touring does not.

BAJAJULIO

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

32.0546665,-116.8793335
Member #

PS> Smell the Roses allows for taking in the view...hitting the Hot Spots...Doing the Fishing...etc. but still keep up in the daily ...day to day event site.....etc.

monark192

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Vista, CA, USA
First Name
Simon
Last Name
Clark
Member #

We have also entered the race category but this will not be our first time in Baja. I have driven as far south as Loreto before but looking forward to going back and seeing more as it is such an amazing place.

BAJAJULIO

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

32.0546665,-116.8793335
Member #

You should be able to purchase for 30 dllrs. Look around....also and insurance Co. I think outbound or southbound sell them....will keep an eye out for ya.

Reactions: Road