Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

For those who are unaware this event is slated to start January 2019, it is a 3000mile trip over 10 days, leaving Los Angeles heading down the east side of Baja to Cabo then up the west side ending in LA. There are two classes, touring and race, it is not a timed event it is a points event the only difference between the class is the race class has 9 special legs again not timed. this all about navigation through Baja, the event is held every 2 years and coordinated by the same group as the Budapest to Bamako africa 10k rally
also this a charity fund raising event for the children of baja.

I will be finishing the Brute upgrades about mid february and it then start numerous shakedowns to work out and durability issues. Essentially the only item left from the rubicon is the transfer case, it is getting a new cummins engine, transmission, differentials, steering and suspension the items are all upgraded and new. the upgrades are tailored around endurance and comfort while being self reliant
I will post up the truck in a separate short build segment.

OK so what i am wondering is the anyone interested in being a co-driver? If so I would like to hear from you,
gender type is not a requirement, Having good travel planning skills, navigation skills, baja travel experience, Spanish language are all pluses, must be able to handle austere travel for 10 days ( no hotels minimum baths etc), and have good mobility for recovery. complimentary skills are important along with a good personality. No interest in "know it alls" Cost will be half the entry about $700 plus food portion and incidentals.
Cheers
Pete
Looks plenty cool and interesting, though I have no real idea where or how close I'll be to Baja in 2019 Jan. If they still don't have 50 teams in Touring as the event draws closer, I may just sign up, but I suspect it will fill up fast now that it's being marketed more heavily.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

You should be able to purchase for 30 dllrs. Look around....also and insurance Co. I think outbound or southbound sell them....will keep an eye out for ya.
I'm going to look for the Baja Almanac, to have for personal trips and just to have. I'm a bit of a map geek.

Well dang, is this the same one you're talking about?

baja-almanac.jpg

You can get on the mailing list for new editions at their site, though no idea if it is actually being updated soon.

Here's a whole page of Baja Almanacs and other Baja maps for sale, mostly used and overpriced, but of a wide variety with some new, but not the almanac above.

Last edited:

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I was hoping it might be available online in .pdf. . . got my hopes up for a sec when I saw .pdf in a search for the Baja Almanac, but it was just a single page example.

BAJAJULIO

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

32.0546665,-116.8793335
Member #

Gona look for mine....maybe can digitilyce it. Other idea....if you know someone who did the BAJA 1000 ...50th anniv. And raced with BFG pits...they put out a killer book of the route (race course) and access roads. But....the almanac is the way....dont get desperate....its still a long ways away.