Badlands South Dakota

• HTML tutorial

SoDak

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Sioux Falls, SD
Member #

Has anyone done or know of a route through the Badlands of South Dakota that isn't a scenic bi-way?

I've been trying to find a route that would allow you to stay on non-paved roads through the Badlands and up into the Black Hills. I'm coming up a little short in my research. It would be a pretty epic trip if one could do it correctly and respectfully.

Kdj

Rank 0

Contributor I

Naptown
Check out sheep mountain road. Also sage creek campground if you in the park. Woke up to buffalo scratching in our picnic table. Which freeked out wife and kids. Sheep mountain is day use but never saw a ranger back there. Black hills National forest mvum maps are at ranger stations or online. Being in SD you should be able to find local knowledge. Those ard just places I went using info from forums on our trip out that way.

Last edited:
Reactions: SoDak

SoDak

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Sioux Falls, SD
Member #

Check out sheep mountain road. Also sage creek campground if you in the park. Woke up to buffalo scratching in our picnic table. Which freeked out wife and kids. Sheep mountain is day use but never saw a ranger back there. Black hills National forest mvum maps are at ranger stations or online. Being in SD you should be able to find local knowledge. Those ard just places I went using info from forums on our trip out that way.
Great, thanks for the info Kdj

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using OB Talk mobile app