US Northwest Bad Bear Picnic and social distancing socializing OB style.

• HTML tutorial

David H

Local Expert Southern ID

Traveler III

Boise, ID, 83713 USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Hopkins
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRKQ684
Service Branch
U.S.A.F.
Forgot to ask... it says picnic in the Rally point post. Should I be bringing food or beverages to share? if so, what is needed?
Michael,

Due to social distancing requests (we are not out of this Covid Pandemic yet), we request everyone bring their own food and drinks... Some of us will be cooking (not normal for lunch out on the trail) while others will just bring up cold foods to eat...

Definitely, bring up chairs and if you have kids, outdoor toys/equipment for them to play. If you're concerned about rain to too much sunshine, a canopy is always a welcome guest...

Temperatures should be in the lows to mid 60's so a coat or jacket will probably be a welcome friend...

Looking forward to seeing/meeting everyone up there... :-)

@David H

Last edited:
Reactions: M Rose

McQ

Rank III
Launch Member

Influencer II

Boise, ID
First Name
Michael
Last Name
McHugh
Member #

Michael,

Due to social distancing requests (we are not out of this Covid Pandemic yet), we request everyone bring their own food and drinks... Some of us will be cooking (not normal for lunch out on the trail) while others will just bring up cold foods to eat...

Definitely, bring up chairs and if you have kids, outdoor toys/equipment for them to play. If you're concerned about rain to too much sunshine, a canopy is always a welcome guest...

Temperatures should be in the lows to mid 60's so a coat or jacket will probably be a welcome friend...

Looking forward to seeing/meeting everyone up there... :-)

@David H
Awesome! Thanks for the info...see y'all tomorrow

Reactions: David H

Clay B

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

McCall, ID, USA
First Name
Clay
Last Name
Bradfield
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7TTA
Service Branch
US Army
I see the campground has 6 sites and all but 2 are reserved Will there enough room for everyone?
I have a reserved spot, but found out last night I have to return for Monday morning. I will donate the space to the cause!

David H

Local Expert Southern ID

Traveler III

Boise, ID, 83713 USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Hopkins
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRKQ684
Service Branch
U.S.A.F.
Sorry, running late. We should be up there by 11:30. Looking forward to seeing everyone and having a great day.

McQ

Rank III
Launch Member

Influencer II

Boise, ID
First Name
Michael
Last Name
McHugh
Member #

I had something come up so will not be up till around 1pm... see y'all then

Reichling

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Boise County, ID, USA
Member #

Reactions: DevilDodge

Clay B

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

McCall, ID, USA
First Name
Clay
Last Name
Bradfield
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7TTA
Service Branch
US Army
Great to meet everyone. Thanks!

McQ

Rank III
Launch Member

Influencer II

Boise, ID
First Name
Michael
Last Name
McHugh
Member #

Yeah, thanks everyone it was great to meet y'all and I look forward to getting out to explore the trails with folks.

wishihada4runner

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fort Collins, CO, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Thompson
Member #

The one that the 4LO offroad group is doing or different?
Negative. I just looked up what you mentioned and it looks like they’ll be driving right by the spot I’m planning on, so we’ll wave! Current attendee list is just a couple of friends and a couple of old coworkers right now, nothing too huge or out of control. Probably stay until after sunset then head back down to home. I’ll drive up to the spot I found sometime this week so I can get GPS coordinates and put that in the rally point I’ll be creatomg.

Reichling

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Boise County, ID, USA
Member #

Negative. I just looked up what you mentioned and it looks like they’ll be driving right by the spot I’m planning on, so we’ll wave! Current attendee list is just a couple of friends and a couple of old coworkers right now, nothing too huge or out of control. Probably stay until after sunset then head back down to home. I’ll drive up to the spot I found sometime this week so I can get GPS coordinates and put that in the rally point I’ll be creatomg.
Gotcha, i am in! I will keep an eye out for the rally point.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Sorry @M Rose and I didn't make it out. We ended up spending ALL day installing the aux electrical system in the Xterra, only to not have things work the way we wanted to. We finally called it quits at 11pm.

• Sad

David H

Local Expert Southern ID

Traveler III

Boise, ID, 83713 USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Hopkins
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRKQ684
Service Branch
U.S.A.F.
Sorry @M Rose and I didn't make it out. We ended up spending ALL day installing the aux electrical system in the Xterra, only to not have things work the way we wanted to. We finally called it quits at 11pm.
Sorry you guys couldn’t make it. We had a good group show up. I brought up that monster canopy (12’x12’) and it definitely came into use with the several showers that poured down on us in between brief sessions of sunshine.

The meet went great, a lot of good conversation, sharing of ideas and information, and planning for the near future. I will be posting later on this week rally point to scout out Trinity lakes in two weeks, and I think we should have a good group going for there. It should just be a day trip.

Looking forward to a multi day trip in the second half of July. It’s going to be a great summer :-) everybody take care and stay healthy.

@David H

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Wow, I’m glad that everyone was able to make it... looks like you guys had a great time... @reaver and I were numbed we couldn’t make it. I’ll be there for the next one though.

Reactions: reaver

wishihada4runner

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fort Collins, CO, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Thompson
Member #

Great meeting you all! Looking forward to the next one!

FYI, this is that BaoFeng radio we were talking about. Good first radio. Great value for the price.

BaoFeng UV-82HP High Power Dual Band Radio

and if you want a roof mag mount antenna this is a decent one. Comes with the adapter for the handheld.

Nagoya UT-72 Super Loading Coil 19-Inch Magnetic Mount VHF/UHF (144/430Mhz) Antenna PL-259
Just bought the radio, looks like maybe on sale for $60. Seems like a fair deal, I don't know. Thanks for the recommendation!

Reactions: Reichling

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Just bought the radio, looks like maybe on sale for $60. Seems like a fair deal, I don't know. Thanks for the recommendation!
You can get them cheaper than that... I’ve seen them as low as $25.00 but I hear (don’t know the truth to it) that the more you spend on a Baofeng the better quality it is