Backyard's M416 Overland Trailer Build!

• HTML tutorial

Enthusiast III

Rochester, MI, USA
First Name
Wayne
Last Name
Adventurer
I took a trip out west with some friends of ours a 1.5 years ago and they made a overland trailer from a 416 and that got my wheels turning. 1.5 years later I picked up this M416 and I am going to start a build.
I plan to post pictures as well as my videos of the journey!

I have a lots of thoughts/plans for it such as:
  1. a receiver hitch on the back
  2. extend the tongue
  3. tongue box for electrical/battery
  4. tongue jack
  5. stabilizer jacks
  6. Jeep wheels/tires
  7. update the electrical
  8. a hinged lid
  9. a raising roof top tent
  10. propane tank
  11. a solar panel

I Will be asking some questions along the way from experience of others that have gone this path already. I am really excited for it as we plan on using it on a big trip next summer (of 2024).

The trailer is in pretty good shape overall. My plan is to do the build/fabrication this winter and then in the spring have it blasted and i will either pant/ powder coat then once I am done with the fab work.

I have a YouTube channel called Backyard Hotrods where I am going to post frequent and detailed build videos. So far on my channel its been of my Cuda I have been working on so this is a different project/path for the channel.

Here is my first video
Wayne,

Attachments

Enthusiast III

Rochester, MI, USA
First Name
Wayne
Last Name
Adventurer
Part 1 is done! I needed a hitch to take our bikes with us. They don't exactly make a good kit for something like this. Decided to make my own. I did a quick 3D CAD model to visualize and tweak things before I started cutting metal which helped.

I used a company called SendCutSend to laser out the rear bracket. It was cheap and quick and turned out perfect. The front bracket I used some angle steel by buddy had that I cut two pieces from. I used 5/8", grade 8 plated fasteners which might of been a touch overkill....but why not...until it was time to drill out those big holes which took some time and lots of patience.

It came out nice and I'm real happy with how it turned out.

Thanks,
Wayne

Attachments

bcmedicxj

Rank IV
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Vonore, TN, USA
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Collins
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRKP 397 Groundhog
Service Branch
EMS
Check out: www.compact camping concepts. They have a lot of upgrade parts and tent mounting systems for the M416. Also take a look at: www.locknroll.com. They make a 3 axis hitch that works great with that trailer.

hey_poolboy

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Peoria, IL, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Robertson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Maximus
I took a trip out west with some friends of ours a 1.5 years ago and they made a overland trailer from a 416 and that got my wheels turning. 1.5 years later I picked up this M416 and I am going to start a build.
I plan to post pictures as well as my videos of the journey!

I have a lots of thoughts/plans for it such as:
  1. a receiver hitch on the back
  2. extend the tongue
  3. tongue box for electrical/battery
  4. tongue jack
  5. stabilizer jacks
  6. Jeep wheels/tires
  7. update the electrical
  8. a hinged lid
  9. a raising roof top tent
  10. propane tank
  11. a solar panel

I Will be asking some questions along the way from experience of others that have gone this path already. I am really excited for it as we plan on using it on a big trip next summer (of 2024).

The trailer is in pretty good shape overall. My plan is to do the build/fabrication this winter and then in the spring have it blasted and i will either pant/ powder coat then once I am done with the fab work.

I have a YouTube channel called Backyard Hotrods where I am going to post frequent and detailed build videos. So far on my channel its been of my Cuda I have been working on so this is a different project/path for the channel.

Here is my first video
Wayne,

We bought ours from someone who already did all of the work. We're buying stuff and planning some additional modifications right now for a couple of big trips this year. The extended tongue and tongue box are a must.
The previous owner added a diesel heater in the tongue box as well. On demand hot water heater lives in the pelican case on the front.

I'm currently collecting parts to upgrade electrical and go to a lithium battery and a weatherproof breaker box. Also plan to plumb propane to the back so that the tank can just stay put on the tongue holder.

Attachments

Enthusiast III

Rochester, MI, USA
First Name
Wayne
Last Name
Adventurer
Check out: www.compact camping concepts. They have a lot of upgrade parts and tent mounting systems for the M416. Also take a look at: www.locknroll.com. They make a 3 axis hitch that works great with that trailer.
I did come across CCC and talked to Scott, I ordered his tongue extension kit and the locknroll hitch. I think that will be my next project thanks!

We bought ours from someone who already did all of the work. We're buying stuff and planning some additional modifications right now for a couple of big trips this year. The extended tongue and tongue box are a must.
The previous owner added a diesel heater in the tongue box as well. On demand hot water heater lives in the pelican case on the front.

I'm currently collecting parts to upgrade electrical and go to a lithium battery and a weatherproof breaker box. Also plan to plumb propane to the back so that the tank can just stay put on the tongue holder.
Thats a good looking rig! My thought right now is a Amazon 200 amp Lithium. They have decent reviews and are much cheaper than a big brand name. My original idea didn't include a hot water heater....but we'll see. I am thinking a solar shower type tube...

Scout

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Jamestown,NY
Member #

Ill be sure to check out your vids.. I too have an M416 and used to own 2 different 1970 Barracudas.. so yeah.. haha. I bought the CCC tent mount brackets, mainly to raise the tent up away from the deck I have covering the bed opening. Ours had a spare tire mounted on the rear and the weight pulled the mount from the sheet metal, ripping it. My wife wants me to make a door of sorts there, to have a slide out. Thats where its been sitting for a few months. I need to figure out what poundage gas struts I need to be able to lift the deck cover..I'll do that next, before moving forward..

Enthusiast III

Rochester, MI, USA
First Name
Wayne
Last Name
Adventurer
Ill be sure to check out your vids.. I too have an M416 and used to own 2 different 1970 Barracudas.. so yeah.. haha. I bought the CCC tent mount brackets, mainly to raise the tent up away from the deck I have covering the bed opening. Ours had a spare tire mounted on the rear and the weight pulled the mount from the sheet metal, ripping it. My wife wants me to make a door of sorts there, to have a slide out. Thats where its been sitting for a few months. I need to figure out what poundage gas struts I need to be able to lift the deck cover..I'll do that next, before moving forward..

NIce, I love those Mopar E-bodies! I thought about a slide out kitchen option on the side of the trailer...not sure though if its worth the effort or even if I will have room after bigger tires and fender

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I've always loved these trailers.

Here's a pic of mine. I've had it for over 30 years. it started out as just a gear hauler when I did Adopt a Trail work. Before the RTT, it went up the Rubicon, Dusy as well as several other hard trails. About 15 years ago I added an RTT and made it just a camping trailer. I set the RTT low for a good center of gravity. It hasnt run hard core with the tent but done a few lesser black diamond trails. It basically turned into more of an overlanding trailer.

Upgrades are gas shocks, 3500# axle, later CJ5 rear springs (longer) and I built a multi axis hitch. Also a ton of little things, water tank, fridge, water heater......
Right now its sitting on the side yard waiting on a rebuild. I built a hard side trailer and sold off the RTT. I'm reworking the sheet metal and putting a lid on it.

Its progression over the years. The first pic is when I got it sometime in the late 90's before I did anything to it. The last one was one of its last trips before it got retired.

CJ7 and Trailer.jpg Occitlillo 2013.jpg Panamint 2013.JPG night3.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: bcmedicxj

Enthusiast III

Rochester, MI, USA
First Name
Wayne
Last Name
Adventurer
I've always loved these trailers.

Here's a pic of mine. I've had it for over 30 years. it started out as just a gear hauler when I did Adopt a Trail work. Before the RTT, it went up the Rubicon, Dusy as well as several other hard trails. About 15 years ago I added an RTT and made it just a camping trailer. I set the RTT low for a good center of gravity. It hasnt run hard core with the tent but done a few lesser black diamond trails. It basically turned into more of an overlanding trailer.

Upgrades are gas shocks, 3500# axle, later CJ5 rear springs (longer) and I built a multi axis hitch. Also a ton of little things, water tank, fridge, water heater......
Right now its sitting on the side yard waiting on a rebuild. I built a hard side trailer and sold off the RTT. I'm reworking the sheet metal and putting a lid on it.

Its progression over the years. The first pic is when I got it sometime in the late 90's before I did anything to it. The last one was one of its last trips before it got retired.
Thats a great looking trailer! Anything you would do different now? I am on the fence if I should keep the original axle or not. I would like too and I would think it should be fine and I really like the parking brake. I wasn't sure about a water heater yet....definitley a nice luxury...was thinking a solar shower and then I would just use the stove for heating up water.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Anything you would do different now?
Swap to a #3500 axle with brakes and shocks. This standardizes all the hardware for down the road as well as adds some toe in and positive camber. These will make your trailer more stable on the highway. I wish I had video showing all the bouncing trailers I've seen on dirt roads as well as mine. None of these had shocks. Every off road trailer I build has shocks. The brakes are a no brainer. I've been jackknifed by trailers. Its scary when it pushes you sideways coming down a steep, soft hill. I use the brake controller to increase my trailer a bit to keep me straight.

I added a park brake to my tear drop. That's going to be added in when I rebuild my little trailer. In my opinion, every off road trailer made should have a park brake. You can order an axle with park brake or a hub assembly if you have a standard spindle size. No one knows where to get the parts if you don't already have one installed. I posted a separate build thread on how to do it here if you need something special. This is also a good time to match the lug pattern to your vehicle. Here's the park brake thread if you need something custom.

The title on mine is 1943 so the springs were really old. Even though I tore them down, cleaned and painted them, I broke one about three years into ownership. I guess the springs were just too old. You can get replacement springs easily.

I added a fold down wheel to the front to move it around. On the rebuild I will add in one with a dual tire. My teardrop has that. It makes it easier to move around if i'm not on pavement.

If you look close at the picture with the tent set out and my white jeep. You will see the water heater hanging on the front box. On demand propane. They rock. I also have a 15 gallon water tank inside against the front.

Overall there's very little I would change outside of adding a park brake and a better wheel for the tongue. I will probably raise it but, leave the 33's on it. I never figured out where to mount the spare. I may also remove the front box and put it there. I really have no need for a front box anymore.

I cant wait to see how yours progresses.

Enthusiast III

Rochester, MI, USA
First Name
Wayne
Last Name
Adventurer
Ok, I you have convinced me to look into a 3500 axle with brakes. The first shop I looked at online has a kit but the spings it comes with are about 26" eye to eye vs the original which I think was 36". Did you or anyone go with shorter leaf springs, any concern with doing so? That is a good idea on the water heater. Seems like a simple way and well worth the effort there.

Thanks for following along. Trying to nock out a project every week and just keep plucking along.

Enthusiast III

Rochester, MI, USA
First Name
Wayne
Last Name
Adventurer
I wanted to get rid of the dropped tongue and ball hitch that was put on this trailer. Went with the compact camping concepts tongue bracket and in the long run decided to go with a 2" tongue tube that was 29" long which gave me the clearance i wanted with my Jeep swing gate while using a extended hitch reciever on the vehicle side. Also mocked up a cardboard template for the tongue box I plan to use. This allowed me to keep my tongue length down.

I picked up the tongue tube stock at my local metal supplier. Just had to drill a few holes for the hitch and safety cables. I did this as I decided I wanted to weld the tube the CCC adapter for a secure connection. I also cut 2 square pieces of metal to close up the tongue tube to seal it up.

I went with the lock n roll hitch as it seems like a great option and is well proven. Overall I'm happy with how it came out.

Attachments

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
If you want to change spring length go longer. You can order custom axle widths and have the perch's put where you want them. Most trailer shops will do this.
All of my axles are custom width.

Enthusiast III

Rochester, MI, USA
First Name
Wayne
Last Name
Adventurer
I am looking into a new axle mainly for the electric brakes. Would love to figure out a way to keep the parking brake. We'll see. Probably will keep the same length springs.

I looked at a lot of options for a tongue jack now that the original landing leg is gone. I think the extra money for the Ark tongue jack/jockey wheel is worth it. The quality is incredible and I really wanted theirs for its adjustability. I have a small packaging window on my trailer tongue and when folded up I wanted it out of the way and not hanging down. In the end it fit great, I ended up cutting the mounting brackets down for a cleaner look. When its folded up it will clear my hitch and tuck underneath the tongue box I plan to install.

Really happy with this one. Rolling around the garage is a breeze. Going to look into their corner stabilizer jacks as well.

There is one tongue box I really liked and it fit dimension wise perfect...but they make it to order apparently...so that will be a few weeks out. I was wanting to wrap up the tongue side but I will have to come back to that project later.

Jack 1.jpg

Jack 2.jpg

Jack 3.jpg

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Would love to figure out a way to keep the parking brake. We'll see.
I use Dexter axles. You order it in whatever length, leaf spring perch's where you want them and backing plate with park brake.. All you need to do then is see if your current brake cable has the correct ends, if not, their easy to change.

Reactions: Backyard Hotrods

Enthusiast III

Rochester, MI, USA
First Name
Wayne
Last Name
Adventurer
I use Dexter axles. You order it in whatever length, leaf spring perch's where you want them and backing plate with park brake.. All you need to do then is see if your current brake cable has the correct ends, if not, their easy to change.

ahhh good to know I appreciate all the info

Enthusiast III

Rochester, MI, USA
First Name
Wayne
Last Name
Adventurer
I decided I wanted to add a pair of D ring / shackles to the back of the trailer. These will mostly be for fun, hopefully won't ever need to use them lol. I went with the cheap route from Amazon. I really couldn't see a need for spending more for these. Then I figured I would design up some simple brackets in CAD and send them out to Send Cut Send to laser them out for me. I wanted to make the brackets out of 1/2" steel....my welder is only a 110...i know not ideal and not recommended but thats all I have. I think 1/2" is a good compromise. Most of the bolt on brackets are pretty big and wouldn't fit on the back of the rear channel frame.
I had some extra space to take up once the D rings were in place on the mount. I have 1.5" rod of delrin and cut two 3/8" pieces to use as a spacer/washer opposite of the 2 thick rubber washers that came with the D rings. worked perfect.
I prepped and heated up the metal till it was really toasty and welded them on. It went better than expected and I'm confident they will hold up to anything I throw at them.
Overall really pleased for the very little $$ into this project.

Attachments

Last edited:

MLGrace

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

LAKESIDE AZ
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Grace
Member #

Service Branch
Army Veteran
I decided I wanted to add a pair of D ring / shackles to the back of the trailer. These will mostly be for fun, hopefully won't ever need to use them lol. I went with the cheap route from Amazon. I really couldn't see a need for spending more for these. Then I figured I would design up some simple brackets in CAD and send them out to Send Cut Send to laser them out for me. I wanted to make the brackets out of 1/2" steel....my welder is only a 110...i know not ideal and not recommended but thats all I have. I think 1/2" is a good compromise. Most of the bolt on brackets are pretty big and wouldn't fit on the back of the rear channel frame.
I had some extra space to take up once the D rings were in place on the mount. I have 1.5" rod of delrin and cut two 3/8" pieces to use as a spacer/washer opposite of the 2 thick rubber washers that came with the D rings. worked perfect.
I prepped and heated up the metal till it was really toasty and welded them on. It went better than expected and I'm confident they will hold up to anything I throw at them.
Overall really pleased for the very little $$ into this project.

Just wondering why do you want to pull from a weld on shackle when you have the centered receiver hitch already? There is a good possibility that you may have to be pulled backward so a way to do so is necessary and great idea. Seems to me that if that receiver is attached to the tongue all the way through it might be wiser. This is not meant as a criticism.

Reactions: KonzaLander

Enthusiast III

Rochester, MI, USA
First Name
Wayne
Last Name
Adventurer
Just wondering why do you want to pull from a weld on shackle when you have the centered receiver hitch already? There is a good possibility that you may have to be pulled backward so a way to do so is necessary and great idea. Seems to me that if that receiver is attached to the tongue all the way through it might be wiser. This is not meant as a criticism.

These are more for fun than anything and I think they were the best solution for my use. I don't expect to ever to use them or doing any serious rock crawling with the trailer. If I need to use them they are there, I am confident in the welds for what I will use them for....and if they fail in use...the trailer is in serious trouble lol