Launch Member

Influencer I

Grand Island, Nebraska
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Piercy
Member #

I am looking to buy and install a backup camera on my Jeep TJ. I'm running a swing out tire carrier, with a cooler and chairs...all that makes my stock rearview mirror useless.
I would like to put one on that is weather/water proof. Can be run whenever the jeep is running. Anyone run aftermarket cameras? Do the wireless actually work? Any recommendations? Thanks.

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
My brother and I both have those dual camera setups and they are awesome. The rearview mirror houses the front camera and I have the rear mount mounted inside where the rear hatch light is located as I wanted to keep the camera clean and inside the vehicle. My brother drilled a hole in his rear bumper just below the spare tire carrier on his JK and it works great. The rear cameras can be seen at any time along with when shifted into reverse. Amazon. TekBow Backup Camera 10" Streaming Media Touch Screen 1080p with waterproof rear camera.

Reactions: Dunnage Garage

Jakeapclyps

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Virginia
First Name
Jake
Last Name
Gordo
I cheaped out about a year ago and bought a wired rear license plate mounted camera and it has been great with bikes loaded on the back, which was my motivation for installing one, but I've found I use it way more than I expected. Parking in DC has made it well worth it but I want to upgrade to a front/rear setup with recording capabilities now.

If I could re-start I would just go straight for the full front/rear package for sure.

Reactions: Graeman

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
I am looking to buy and install a backup camera on my Jeep TJ. I'm running a swing out tire carrier, with a cooler and chairs...all that makes my stock rearview mirror useless.
I would like to put one on that is weather/water proof. Can be run whenever the jeep is running. Anyone run aftermarket cameras? Do the wireless actually work? Any recommendations? Thanks.
Just had to replace a 1490 GARMIN with a much newer 50 series. It has a built in dash cam along with all the new car gizmos. Things like lane assist...brake alert... BUT most interesting is the ability to either hardwire or WiFi a GARMIN rear camera into it. This allows you to have the feature new cars have. And not just behind you(basic)....but to adjust the projected lines like the better...more expensive cars
now use.

The retail is $149.99 ..but I haven't seen it cheaper yet. This is a camera option if you have a GARMIN that will support it.

On a side note....buying a returned and reconditioned unit is sometimes better as a product goes thru a complete systems check unlike new units that are not extensively tested before shipment.

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
Thanks for the reply. Santa-wife left a dash cam/backup cam under the Christmas tree
Which one did Santa leave? I really like my full screen and ease of use. Wish it could record longer but I don’t want to give up video quality.

Dunnage Garage

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Grand Island, Nebraska
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Piercy
Member #

Recieved the Tekbow 10" backup camera with streaming media touch screen 1080p rearview front view dual lens waterproof reverse camera....
At least that's what Amazon called it. Having a few minor glitches with it. However, I just installed it last night and only kinda played with it driving 6 blocks to work this morning. Also I emailed the company in China this morning and received a personal response within 2 hours. I'll make and post a YouTube video on scottoffroad within the next week.

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
With the 32g card it will record about 2 hrs front and rear cameras. So buy extra cards or download often. Did you wire in the reverse lights so that it will come on when in reverse?

Dunnage Garage

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Grand Island, Nebraska
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Piercy
Member #

With the 32g card it will record about 2 hrs front and rear cameras. So buy extra cards or download often. Did you wire in the reverse lights so that it will come on when in reverse?
Yes, wired it full time power for the mirror, and wired to reverse lights for the camera.
It doesn't turn on when I start it, but I can understand why...so no biggy.
However, once I get it to turn on, putting it in reverse doesn't always turn on the back up camera display. When driving the back up display is always on in the lower right corner. But will sometimes go to full backup camera while driving forward.
Again not writing a bad review, just installed it and figuring it out...any ideas?

Dunnage Garage

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Grand Island, Nebraska
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Piercy
Member #

Also, if it detects an accident will it save 30 or so seconds prior to the impact (since its supposed to be recording 24/7)

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

I put a $30 kit from Amazon on my 4Runner. It includes the camera, all wiring, and a rear-view mirror with a built-in screen that you snap in place over your existing rear-view mirror. Works great!

It is likely I will add a wireless one to use on my travel trailer for backing that big ol hog up.

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
I will tell you what my settings are at mine.
Video resolution 720p, photo quality 8m, loop recording 3 minutes, motion detection off, g sensor low, parking low, auto screen off. This keeps it from coming on so often when the vehicle is turned off. Now when the screen is on I do have to tap it every time that I do have to tap it if I want it to look different. I keep mine on rear camera full screen. You can also adjust the front and rear screen view when it is on by tapping the up/down arrows.

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
I have read that others had issues when trying to use it more as a video alarm system. I don’t have mine setup like that, it is mainly setup like a dash camera only on while driving.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Which one did Santa leave? I really like my full screen and ease of use. Wish it could record longer but I don’t want to give up video quality.
How about a bigger SIM card. Most now will support a 32 gig card or a bit bigger (64?). This way you get hours of recording...AND...the video quality you want to keep[emoji2]

Just check for size compatibility on the unit.

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
I checked with the manufacturer and 32 is the max. ☹ I wanted to throw a 128g in for recording.