Influencer II

Redmond, OR, USA
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Crisp
Member #

Mr. Crisp
Yes, I started out Backpacking everywhere, matter of fact in your area.. Sonoma County and Napa county. I like Mt. Saint Helena.. My must have... Soft Toilet paper.. Lol.. I do have three ultralights.. Offsprey weekend and overnight packs...my trusty modified been through hell and back, Velcro, dirty and tired Camel Pak and I just bought a Mc Gregor Thru hiking backpack. I normally use Offsprey packs but I was seduced by this new pack, because it came with a 20 watt output solar charger setup And two rechargeable batteries..
I always forget about Mt. St. Helena for backpacking. I'll have to look into it for a solo overnighter. [emoji108]

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

Egan

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Egan
Last Name
Burgess
Member #

I have two packs, a Teton Sports Talus 2700 (ultralight) and a Teton Sports Scout 3400. I generally carrier the Talus in the summer and the Scout in the rest of the year. I carry a Petforu Ultralight Camping Stove and cook set, Schrade SCHF9 fixed blade, long handled spork, Grayl ultralight purifier bottle, Lifestraw, first aid kit. Thermorest sleeping pad and fire starting kit. I almost always use freeze dried food and Cliff bars. In the summer I use a Marmot Nanowave sleeping bag. In the winter I use Moomstone -20 bag that I have had for 25 years and I have never had a cold night in it. The one thing I almost always carry that keeps me from being Ultra light is my Northface Oval 25 4 season tent. In the summer I leave behind the rain cover and footprint. It weighs 5.5lbs in the summer, 8lbs in the winter. I know its heavy but I paid alot of money for it 25 years ago and I want to make sure I get every dime out of it. Obviously clothes are based in the season.

Reactions: Crispy

VagabondApril

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Golden, CO, USA
First Name
April
Last Name
Noriega
Member #

Service Branch
NOLS
Great thread!

I'm an avid hiker. I thru-hiked the Pacific Crest Trail (solo) 2,650 miles in 2014, GR20 in Corsica, Camino de Santiago, and the Continental Divide in 2015. I hike all over the west in Grand Canyon, throughout Moab, Zion, Bryce, and Nevada.

I am actually an ultralight hiker. My pack weight is typically 7 - 8lbs depending on terrain.

My setup:
-YAMA Mountain Gear Shelter 13oz

-Gossamer Gear Gorilla Backpack

-Western Mountaineering Alpinlite Sleeping Bag

-Stoveless - I use a Tupperware dish to rehydrate foods or if I'm above tree line I carry a Soto Micro wind blaster 3oz

-Aquamira for water

-Smartwater bottles (2) and a collapsible platypus water carry

-first aid kit

Looking forward to meeting other long distance hikers or people that love hiking. Cheers!

April aka Bearclaw [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Soft Toilet Paper

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor II

Sonoma County, California
Member #

What trails have you thru-hiked? My wife and I should be completing the Triple Crown in 2019.
MStudt,
You will Love the feeling when you finish the Triple Crown, an accomplishment only Thru Hikers understand. I have Thru Hiked the PCT and The App Trail. (Hike name Rice a Roni..) I havent Thru Hiked the Cont Divide Trail in time I will.. As far as Hiking Trails.... Hmmmm.. Thats like asking what beers have you drank in your life time....Lol.. Europe, the Orient, India, South America, All over North America and there are Trails I still havent Hiked.. My quick enjoy the burn in my Legs and Lungs is North Mountain in Sonoma County. Hiking and Moutain Biking is pretty cool. There is rarely anyone on the Trail..

VagabondApril

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Golden, CO, USA
First Name
April
Last Name
Noriega
Member #

Service Branch
NOLS
I know the name, and we actually follow you on Instagram.
What's your name on Instagram?

About the AT...I'm doing some recovery right now from all the damages that occurred on my hikes. A big hike won't happen again until probably 2018 or 2019. However, I'm not sure if I'll hike the AT. I'm not really all about the Triple Crown, don't get me wrong, I admire the accolade, but I'm about the trail that draws me. The AT is not attractive to me right now. If I had to choose a hike, it would be the Idaho Centennial Trail, The Great Divide or the Anna Putnam Circuit in Nepal. When are you guys hitting the PCT?

VagabondApril

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Golden, CO, USA
First Name
April
Last Name
Noriega
Member #

Service Branch
NOLS
MStudt,
You will Love the feeling when you finish the Triple Crown, an accomplishment only Thru Hikers understand. I have Thru Hiked the PCT and The App Trail. (Hike name Rice a Roni..) I havent Thru Hiked the Cont Divide Trail in time I will.. As far as Hiking Trails.... Hmmmm.. Thats like asking what beers have you drank in your life time....Lol.. Europe, the Orient, India, South America, All over North America and there are Trails I still havent Hiked.. My quick enjoy the burn in my Legs and Lungs is North Mountain in Sonoma County. Hiking and Moutain Biking is pretty cool. There is rarely anyone on the Trail..
When did you thruhike the PCT? -Bearclaw

MStudt

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Springfield, OR, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Studt
Member #

What's your name on Instagram?

About the AT...I'm doing some recovery right now from all the damages that occurred on my hikes. A big hike won't happen again until probably 2018 or 2019. However, I'm not sure if I'll hike the AT. I'm not really all about the Triple Crown, don't get me wrong, I admire the accolade, but I'm about the trail that draws me. The AT is not attractive to me right now. If I had to choose a hike, it would be the Idaho Centennial Trail, The Great Divide or the Anna Putnam Circuit in Nepal. When are you guys hitting the PCT?

We're boots_and_backpacks on Instagram.

I totally understand the Triple Crown thing. Having hiked the AT I don't think we'll do it again. It was a great hike, but we didn't care for the social environment that much. Our hiking revolves around our dog, and she's just as antisocial as we are.

The goal is hiking the PCT next year, but not sure on the direction yet. Once we finish up the Colorado Trail this summer we'll need to get that figured out.

Reactions: VagabondApril

VagabondApril

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Golden, CO, USA
First Name
April
Last Name
Noriega
Member #

Service Branch
NOLS
We're boots_and_backpacks on Instagram.

I totally understand the Triple Crown thing. Having hiked the AT I don't think we'll do it again. It was a great hike, but we didn't care for the social environment that much. Our hiking revolves around our dog, and she's just as antisocial as we are.

The goal is hiking the PCT next year, but not sure on the direction yet. Once we finish up the Colorado Trail this summer we'll need to get that figured out.
NICE! I love the CT. Which direction? Be sure to stay at Ravens Rest Hostel or stop by and say hi to Lucky. Also, Lake City has great resupply and is just a cool town. Let me know if there's anything you guys need for the PCT. Would LOVE to help.

Reactions: MStudt

MStudt

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Springfield, OR, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Studt
Member #

NICE! I love the CT. Which direction? Be sure to stay at Ravens Rest Hostel or stop by and say hi to Lucky. Also, Lake City has great resupply and is just a cool town. Let me know if there's anything you guys need for the PCT. Would LOVE to help.
We'll most likely be heading out of Denver when we start, and we don't have a set time to start right now. We're starting our journey towards Colorado around the 4th of July, and will be stopping at various places along the way. Once we're in Colorado we're going to hiking around on smaller trips until we get acclimated to make the hike a little more enjoyable.

We'll reach out about the PCT. May have some questions as well.

CDN Offroader

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

St. Albert, AB, Canada
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Houghtaling
Member #

Leading a hike on the West Coast Trail on Vancouver Island next week with a group from my unit, planning on a 6 day trip. I've had to re-evaluate how I pack compared to how my rucksack is normally loaded. The ruck alone weighs 8 1.2 lbs without the reinforcement bars. I dug out my old packframe(circa 1993) from the garage, it only weighs 4lbs, so I opted for that. I've trimmed my pack down to about 26lbs with no food or water, so pretty happy with that. My only real "comfort" item is a fleece pillow case that will get stuffed with my fleece hoodie overnight.

Picked up an MSR whisperlight, so looking forward to getting some use out of that.

Reactions: Crispy

VagabondApril

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Golden, CO, USA
First Name
April
Last Name
Noriega
Member #

Service Branch
NOLS
We'll most likely be heading out of Denver when we start, and we don't have a set time to start right now. We're starting our journey towards Colorado around the 4th of July, and will be stopping at various places along the way. Once we're in Colorado we're going to hiking around on smaller trips until we get acclimated to make the hike a little more enjoyable.

We'll reach out about the PCT. May have some questions as well.
I am so envious, yet happy for you guys. Great plan to get acclimated. I have witnessed many people fail to get properly acclimated, forcing them off trail. The San Juans and Collegiates are no joke. Man, you have me jonesing for those 14'ers. If you have any questions about the CT or acclimation, or need contacts or help in the area, let me know. I have many contacts, and am very dialed in with SAR in the areas you will be hiking. I took my WFR in Lake City, and know the town and folks very well. If you guys haven't already, get online or stop at a good gear store and purchase some Acclimate, shit works! Holler if ya'll need anything :)

Reactions: MStudt

MStudt

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Springfield, OR, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Studt
Member #

I am so envious, yet happy for you guys. Great plan to get acclimated. I have witnessed many people fail to get properly acclimated, forcing them off trail. The San Juans and Collegiates are no joke. Man, you have me jonesing for those 14'ers. If you have any questions about the CT or acclimation, or need contacts or help in the area, let me know. I have many contacts, and am very dialed in with SAR in the areas you will be hiking. I took my WFR in Lake City, and know the town and folks very well. If you guys haven't already, get online or stop at a good gear store and purchase some Acclimate, shit works! Holler if ya'll need anything :)
We have a couple tubs of that stuff already!

We're pretty used to getting sick in Colorado, and it never fails that one of us is sick when we're hiking out there. We'll be in Colorado for at least 4 weeks before we start, and hiking the entire time. I'm sure that'll be enough time for us to get comfortable. I'm sure we'll be in touch about something.

Veritablehatter

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Boston, MA
Member #

Backpacking is really where I got started on the outdoors. I've got an old REI internal frame that I still use, It's about 17 years old so I should probably nab a new one. To be honest I might switch out for a new external frame so I don't have to continue doing all the weight arranging.

For my tent I have an old ultralight 2 man tent (1.5, but you make concessions). To be honest the heaviest stuff is always my water. I carry a basic tin messkit/pot, single burner, small fuel cannister. Liner and pad in the summer, compressed mummy in the winter. Small hatchet/hammer and folding knife. Compass, maps, etc. Basic kit stuff.

I just picked up on overlanding and it's odd to see all the gear people have. I keep reminding myself that I don't have to carry all of it, so I can actually bring things to cook a big meal with.

The longest trip I took was back when I was a kid, I hit up Philmont with the scouts. Did two weeks out that way and a hair over a hundred miles out of our packs. We stopped at base stations every so often to pick up more dry food and swap out trash. These days it's harder to find more than a long weekend to go out, I did some of the Delaware Water Gap portion of the AT a bit back, and there's intermittent hiking around the area. I'd really like to take another long hike again soon though.

Last edited:

Pointman

Rank II
Launch Member

Member II

Avondale, Arizona
Member #

I've been backpacking since the early 90's. I currently have a Kelty Redwing 50. Sadly I have not used it togo backpacking. I mostly use it to strap on my Motorcycle and go camping. I keep it light weight with the bare necessities. Peculator, bowl, dry food, etc...

Kevigizmo

Western Europe Moderator
Launch Member

Influencer II

North Walsham, Norfolk, UK
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Titmarsh
Member #

Because im involved as a volunteer with SAR - i tend to go a little over the top with bits i have in my backpack for the "just in case" type mentality,

But my must essentials are always:
Medkit
Shelter
Glow Sticks
Local Paper Map
Garmin GPS (64s)
Most importantly (Just incase!) my SPoT G3

Any thing else depends on the climate and weather report for the area im going into

I tend to do a bit more walking these days more so than years ago but thats mostly as i want to get away and relax from every day life and work :)