Member I

Chattanooga, TN
First Name
ChipandMelissa
Last Name
Schultz
Member #

Hello all,

I bought a brand new Toyota TRD Pro 4Runner in September 2019. It was a quite a special time for me. I was recently promoted. Business was looking really good. Fast forward to March 2020 and everything took a sharp turn. Covid-19 hit, business took a huge hit, lots of folks were laid off and most of us who kept our jobs took a demotion for it. Easy come, easy go promotion that I’d worked 14 years to get. I count myself lucky. My wife and many others lost their jobs.

In those heady pre-Covid days I had big plans on what I would do to my truck. All of it was put on hold and the only upgrade I’ve made so far is putting new Husky floor liners in. Now that things have settled down slightly for me and I’ve gotten ahold of our finances a bit better I’m looking at going for it again, albeit in a more subdued manner.

I’m going to start with rock sliders and a front bumper with a winch. I love the 4xInnovations weld on rock sliders but I’m afraid it’ll void my warranty. I can’t seem to get an answer from Toyota. Have any of you looked into this? I’d be using a local 4x4 shop to do the welding as I am not skilled.

Thank you for the help.

3Putt_Par

Rank I

Traveler I

Folsom, California, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Raley
Member #

Have you considered bolt on sliders? Or do you need weld on? I couldn’t imagine bolt on sliders doing anything to the warranty. I went with a bolt on slider from Cali-raised and they seem super sturdy. I have not put them to the test but I’m sure they will hold up when called upon.

Reactions: Dirt Road Destiny

DaveInCO

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate I

Thornton, CO, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Orth
Member #

Service Branch
Army
I have RSG bolt-on sliders. They have held up well, they are gouged to crap in places from rocks and have held up the full weight of the truck a few times. Bolt on sliders are plenty strong if they are designed right.

Dirt Road Destiny

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Chattanooga, TN
First Name
ChipandMelissa
Last Name
Schultz
Member #

Have you considered bolt on sliders? Or do you need weld on? I couldn’t imagine bolt on sliders doing anything to the warranty. I went with a bolt on slider from Cali-raised and they seem super sturdy. I have not put them to the test but I’m sure they will hold up when called upon.
Bolt on is definitely the way to go. After doing a bit of research and getting some answers I am no longer considering that option.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I would get recovery gear first. The stuff you are discussing is more for show. Get out as much as you can then figure what you need as it comes up. The money you spend on travel will be remembered far longer than the sliders or bumper will ever be. IMHO.

Dirt Road Destiny

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Chattanooga, TN
First Name
ChipandMelissa
Last Name
Schultz
Member #

I would get recovery gear first. The stuff you are discussing is more for show. Get out as much as you can then figure what you need as it comes up. The money you spend on travel will be remembered far longer than the sliders or bumper will ever be. IMHO.
I fully agree with you is that the most important part is just to get out and go, make memories with the family, and to stoke the flames of adventure that my children already have.

Reactions: MMc