Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

Hey everyone,

Just curious which axe you carry and what you like/don't like about it.

I have the Fiskers X-25. I love it. It has the splitting head which makes quick work of pretty much everything I split. with one swing. Works well chopping too.

Reactions: Slowone

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

Just a simple one. I break it, throw it away, buy a new one. Use it for everything. Works fine.

Greetings from Robert

TxTerra

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

prosper, tx
Member #

i carry a chopping axe i picked up at home depot. its attached to the roof rack with quick fists. Currently trying to find a place to mount a splitting axe as well

roamingtimber

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

North Cascades, Washington
Member #

I like buy old axes from flea markets, refurbish the heads and mount them on new handles. Before chain saws axes were made well and made to last. I carry a 2.5lb boys axe in my xterra. It's shorter and lighter than a full size axe so it fits on the rear hatch and it's less weight for the hatch to hold up. It's still enough of an axe for clearing trail and camp tasks. Big enough to split fire wood and make kindling, light enough that you can choke up on the handle and use it like a hatchet.

deeker

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

SW Ontario, Canada
Member #

Gransfors Bruks - Small Forest Axe and the Hunter's Axe.

If I have space and will be foraging firewood, the Small Forest Axe.  If I'm carrying a pack or cramped for space then the little Hunter's Axe comes along.  Realistically, a little take-down saw is all that is needed most days.

Reactions: NorthStar96

TxTerra

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

prosper, tx
Member #

<h2 class="user-nicename">@roamingtimber can you take some pictures of how you mounted it on the rear hatch? been thinking of the same, but not sure how</h2>

roamingtimber

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

North Cascades, Washington
Member #

@txterra I just took everything out of my Xterra to sell it but I think I have a picture of it I just have to find it. What I did was drill 4 holes through the plastic trim, but I only had to drill 2 holes through the metal behind it. I mounted the head of the axe right behind the motor for the rear window wiper, the end of the handle went on the drivers side of the hatch. I just ran Nite Ize gear ties through the holes and around the bracket for the reader window wiper motor for support. I used a pretty thick gear tie for the head. The stock pneumatic rams that support the hatch had started to fail before I mounted the axe, so I replaced them with stronger models to support the weight I planned on adding. In addition to the axe I had a machete, a large fixed blade knife and a lot of additions to the stock first aid kit all mounted to the hatch. I'll find a picture and post it.

vicali

Rank IV

Advocate II

Hultafors 2lb Woodsman..

Worst thing was that the fireban this summer meant it didn't get to come out too often..

Reactions: deeker