Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Utah
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

I have 10’ of available mounting space. But I can’t decide between 6.5’ or 8’ awning. Will going with the 8’ be overkill? Will it be too big of a hassle to set up and put away by myself? I keep adding both to my cart and I’m about to flip a coin lol.
Any input would be sweet.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Really not up to us to say if it's overkill or not, not knowing your style of camping or how often it might get used, etc.

Part of the decision for me, though, is how it'll both work and look, whether packed or deployed.

Does the awning you're thinking about wrap an end, too, or is it a straight awning? Can you attach extensions or side walls if you want/need?

I'm of the school, if you camp a lot and in a variety of places, to get as much awning as you can safely support. You find pretty quickly that it's a bitch to keep moving your vehicle (or trailer) as the shade moves and disappears with a smaller or shorter awning. Even in ads I see awnings deployed with only two or three feet of shadow underneath.

I depend on my awning for not only shade, but shelter from wind and rain and cold, as well. I live out of my rig most of every year, so the options of configuring mine in myriad ways hold great appeal for me. Getting ready to sew more side wall panels with zippered doors to expand base camp potential.

Mine reaches out 7'9" on the main side and from each end, which means I have shade pretty much all day.

Bundu-Awn-birdseye-Coverage.jpg

Mine is also quite large, though I have absolutely no trouble opening it or closing back up. This post in a thread about 270 awnings explains more about why I go for BAAs.
You might find a number of posts in that thread of interest.

basecamp_2572-900.jpeg

Good luck in figuring out what will work best for yourself!