Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Blaine, Minnesota, USA
First Name
Nate
Last Name
Menard
Member #

I just installed my Putco Venture tec rack on my Silverado. Choosing to go with an awning and room for setup instead of the RTT for now. I'm interested in getting the 2000x2500 ARB awning with the room, but am not quite ready to pull the trigger yet. Anyone know if the awning would be tall enough stored to clear the doors? I'm thinking that I would have to fab something up to get it to clear. Has anyone setup something like this on a rack that's lower than the height of your truck?

Here's the brackets I am thinking of purchasing with the awning

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

Most all of them mount the same. How is your rack lower than the truck? Everyone I have seen mounts higher than the bottom of the bars or rack they are mounted to. I think the ARB and Front Runner are the best out there at that price point. Then you get into Eezi-awn and JB units that are ridiculously priced. Overland Outfitters has a different take on them but you pay for it. I like the look of the Tuff Stuff but have not seen one in person. Take a look here for a couple options:

bigearlmsp

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Blaine, Minnesota, USA
First Name
Nate
Last Name
Menard
Member #

Thinking about doing the Tuff Stuff 6.5 x 8 (awning comes out 8' and is 6.5' long) awning with the room attachment. This should alleviate the problem I have with other awnings being too long when mounted for me to get my door open.

Has anyone used the Tuff Stuff awning before? Any quality concerns?

Tuff Stuff Awning

Tuff Stuff Awning Room

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

I havent.. but reviews are better than the Smitty 6.5' x8' but not as good as the ARB 6.5' x8'. Not a lot of difference between them really.

ROAM Overland has one also. They have a 6.' x 8' awning and annex too.

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

I like ROAM. They feel like ARB "Light", as i just getting started. Really nice products at slightly better prices than ARB. If I didn't already have too many boxes I would buy into the ROAM collection. Really nice kit with the MOLLE panel inserts.

Jeb

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Nine Mile Falls, WA, USA
First Name
Jeb
Last Name
Mertz
Member #

Just took delivery of and installed the ROAM Adv Co 6.5x8 awning (6.5 is the length along the truck installed). I chose the ROAM after A LOT of research and looking. One factor for me was that the knuckles where the legs and arms mount and pivot are metal not plastic. I am also awaiting the ROAM awning room attachment. I like the build quality, the trade off for me was that, in terms of sun protection, the ROAM fabric is UV protected but doe not provide a high SPF shield for those under the awning. Not big deal for me in the midwest, LOL. Was looking more for a cover to cook under when it starts to rain. Now I cant wait to get out and test it. BTW, the awning transport cover is a nice thick PVC material, hopefully it lasts.

Attachments

bigearlmsp

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Blaine, Minnesota, USA
First Name
Nate
Last Name
Menard
Member #

Just took delivery of and installed the ROAM Adv Co 6.5x8 awning (6.5 is the length along the truck installed). I chose the ROAM after A LOT of research and looking. One factor for me was that the knuckles where the legs and arms mount and pivot are metal not plastic. I am also awaiting the ROAM awning room attachment. I like the build quality, the trade off for me was that, in terms of sun protection, the ROAM fabric is UV protected but doe not provide a high SPF shield for those under the awning. Not big deal for me in the midwest, LOL. Was looking more for a cover to cook under when it starts to rain. Now I cant wait to get out and test it. BTW, the awning transport cover is a nice thick PVC material, hopefully it lasts.
Thanks for confirming my choice! I’m in the Midwest as well and don’t see the spf as an issue. I had the same setup when I lived overseas and loved the awning room. Enough room for a queen sized mattress and our gear!

Jeb

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Nine Mile Falls, WA, USA
First Name
Jeb
Last Name
Mertz
Member #

The new ROAM awning room is 6.5 x 8, so plenty of room for a cot and table. Will post some pics when I get it all together.