Rank III

Traveler III

55 King Jarrah Cl, Jarrahdale, Western Australia
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Thimson
Member #

Hi there, let me introduce myself. I am a member from Jarrahdale in Western Australia. I drive a ‘94 Land Rover Defender 110 and love the overland lifestyle.

My son married a lovely American girl
And they are now living in the DFW area. My wife and I are planning on visiting them and our 3 grandchildren in July/August for a month.

I am planning on getting a vehicle there to get around and do some over landing (this is going to be a yearly trip). So I wanted to reach out the OB community there.

I am looking to get WJ Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 so I thought I’d ask if anyone on here knows of one.

Also any ideas for over landing trips would be great.

Looking forward to
Maybe meeting up with my fellow OB mates.

Thanks

Keith

Rchr

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Brownsville, Texas
First Name
Javier
Last Name
Escobedo
Member #

Hi Keith,
Hope you have a good trip and you enjoy your stay in the US. Texas is a big state and unfortunately most of it is privately owned. There a some parks you can go to and maybe do some overlanding in. One I am thinking of is Palo Duro Canyon State Park, it’s about a 6 hour drive from Dallas. I’m from Texas but mostly what we do here is just go camping at our state parks.

Reactions: KeithMac

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Hi there, let me introduce myself. I am a member from Jarrahdale in Western Australia. I drive a ‘94 Land Rover Defender 110 and love the overland lifestyle.

And they are now living in the DFW area. My wife and I are planning on visiting them and our 3 grandchildren in July/August for a month.

I am planning on getting a vehicle there to get around and do some over landing (this is going to be a yearly trip). So I wanted to reach out the OB community there.

I am looking to get WJ Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 so I thought I’d ask if anyone on here knows of one.

Looking forward to

Thanks

Keith
Welcome to the States! I'm a big fan of WJs myself, and have a rather built one. I could write a short (or not-so-short) novel on them, but the quicker version of my $0.02: look for a higher trim (Limited or Overland) 4.7 V8, preferably the 4.7 HO (all Overlands are HO). Yes, the 4.7 *does* have issues with dropping valve seats, that is a *real* problem. However, the V8 is so much better suited to the WJ platform and weight than the I6. The 4.0L I6, while legendary, is barely adequate in the lighter XJs. Also, 4.0 WJs get a much worse auto trans than even the XJs, while 4.7 WJs get the 545RFE which is actually a pretty good trans (it was used in the much heavier, higher GVWR 1500 RAMs of the same era behind the more powerful Hemi). Also, the higher trims just suit the spirit of the WJ better, IMHO. If you want a basic box with stick-axles get an XJ, if you want a little bit of luxury/tech (for it's day, obviously the "tech" is outdated now) then a Limited or Overland WJ is just a much nicer vehicle to spend time in. As for those pesky heads, consult some local shops and just budget having a pair of updated heads put on. Yes, it's a pretty big cost, but WJs are so cheap (even in this crazy market) that it's worth it IMHO.

-TJ

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
If you make it anywhere close to NW Florida let me know and maybe we can meet up!

Coreymol

Local Expert, Texas USA

Guardian I

Boerne, Texas, United States
First Name
Corey
Last Name
Molinelli
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WREM781 on GMRS
Service Branch
Army

Looking forward to

Thanks

Keith
There are some in the San Antonio area.
If you make it this way let me know.

KeithMac

Rank III

Traveler III

55 King Jarrah Cl, Jarrahdale, Western Australia
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Thimson
Member #

Thanks for this TJ. I had been warned off the V8 because of the heads. How much would you recon to budget for the fix?

QUOTE="tjZ06, post: 615920, member: 45023"]

Looking forward to

Thanks

Keith
Welcome to the States! I'm a big fan of WJs myself, and have a rather built one. I could write a short (or not-so-short) novel on them, but the quicker version of my $0.02: look for a higher trim (Limited or Overland) 4.7 V8, preferably the 4.7 HO (all Overlands are HO). Yes, the 4.7 *does* have issues with dropping valve seats, that is a *real* problem. However, the V8 is so much better suited to the WJ platform and weight than the I6. The 4.0L I6, while legendary, is barely adequate in the lighter XJs. Also, 4.0 WJs get a much worse auto trans than even the XJs, while 4.7 WJs get the 545RFE which is actually a pretty good trans (it was used in the much heavier, higher GVWR 1500 RAMs of the same era behind the more powerful Hemi). Also, the higher trims just suit the spirit of the WJ better, IMHO. If you want a basic box with stick-axles get an XJ, if you want a little bit of luxury/tech (for it's day, obviously the "tech" is outdated now) then a Limited or Overland WJ is just a much nicer vehicle to spend time in. As for those pesky heads, consult some local shops and just budget having a pair of updated heads put on. Yes, it's a pretty big cost, but WJs are so cheap (even in this crazy market) that it's worth it IMHO.

-TJ[/QUOTE]

Redruby

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Arizona
First Name
Larry
Last Name
Blau
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO7SHR
Welcome Keith, if you get to Arizona let me know would love to take you around the southwest. I have a couple of buddies in the DFW area that we get together for long overlanding trips you’d might like to join us next year we have a fairly full calendar, looking forward to meeting you.

Steve_ohhhhh

Local Expert, QLD Australia

Influencer I

Redbank Queensland, Australia
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Jappe
Member #

Looking forward to

Thanks

Keith
Hey mate. Did you ever end up getting over to the states for your trip?