August 2017 Solar Eclipse trip

• HTML tutorial

Mike McConnell

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Forgive me if anyone else posted on this, I didn't come across it. Is anyone else planning on checking out the eclipse August 21, looks like lots of national forest in eastern Oregon in the path of the eclipse. I've got a group of about 4 trucks worth of buddies, we are in the early planning stages, but anyone know any good spots up there (east of bend near 395)? Anyone want to join/ get a group together?

Kelly

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Member Rep
Launch Member

Traveler III

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
Forgive me if anyone else posted on this, I didn't come across it. Is anyone else planning on checking out the eclipse August 21, looks like lots of national forest in eastern Oregon in the path of the eclipse. I've got a group of about 4 trucks worth of buddies, we are in the early planning stages, but anyone know any good spots up there (east of bend near 395)? Anyone want to join/ get a group together?
@Narbob @O.Dfj @Reichling @brian daugherty @hallry @Mirek @mmnorthdirections

Mike McConnell

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

This is a great idea. John Day Fossil Beds National Monument is in the path. 2 mins of totality!
I've got a few more details to figure out, but That looks like a solid candidate for viewing location. all the normal lodging/ easy to get to places are booked. ran a scuba trip to Indonesia for a past eclipse and companies book everything way in advance (years if they can). welcome to join us up there, can caravan up as we'd be leaving from san jose area, you're north of us anyways.

Reactions: Luxolander

Quicksilver

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Molalla, OR
Member #

I live right in the path, so I don't have to go far. I'm still planning to go camping for it, there are plenty of places nearby. The question will be if any of the spots I have in mind will be occupied. If all else fails, I believe it will be high enough above the treeline by then to see it from my front yard.

Dana Ramos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Alta, WY
First Name
Dana
Last Name
Ramos
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7EXK
I'll be staying at home. We're dead center of the path and from what it sounds like, everyone knows this and is coming here. Hotel rooms were selling for over 1k a night. I think everywhere is booked now. That also means every forest road anywhere near here is going to be packed as well. My girlfriend and at least 3 other friends of ours are renting their houses out for $1500+ a night with a 3 night minimum and everyone is bringing their rigs out to my place to camp. Should be a good time. Still room at my place if you guys want to watch it from the Tetons!

OC Dave

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Anaheim, CA
Member #

I'll also be in Idaho for the eclipse around Stanley and the Sawtooth National Forest. Making a week long camping trip out of it.

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
We are fortunate to live just inside the path, in Thermopolis Wy. (top left)

Reactions: Dana Ramos

PNW EXPLR

Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
Any chance you fish? I'm going to be in Casper for the corpse but will be fishing as well. What I am wondering is where would be my best bet for a walleye. Are there any pike anywhere?

OB 2646
I really haven't done any walleye fishing around there. I will ask around and see what I can dig up though.

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

I really haven't done any walleye fishing around there. I will ask around and see what I can dig up though.
Try up near Wind River. Not sure about walleye from a belly boat but My brother just caught a lot of beautiful 20-26" trout down stream from the Damn. Last summer Dad and I went looking for walleye at the lake but timed it wrong. We were told that Aug was a bad time for walleye there.

Boort

Reactions: FlyJeep

PNW EXPLR

Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
Try up near Wind River. Not sure about walleye from a belly boat but My brother just caught a lot of beautiful 20-26" trout down stream from the Damn. Last summer Dad and I went looking for walleye at the lake but timed it wrong. We were told that Aug was a bad time for walleye there.

Boort
Trout fishing the canyon from my kayak is my summer goal. I could spend the entire summer in the canyon! Just beautiful!