Attention Toyota 4Runner Runners

• HTML tutorial

What is the best overall (Cost, Performance, Reliability, Durability) of all 4Runner Generations?

• First Gen 1984-1989

• Second Gen 1989-1995

• Third Gen 1995-2002

• Fourth Gen 2002-2009

• Fifth Gen 2009-Present

Results are only viewable after voting.

Swhirstein

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Davenport, Iowa, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Hirstein
Member #

Being a popular vehicle, what is the best & worst thing about running a Toyota 4Runner? (In terms of the generation of the vehicle) Then please vote which generation is your favorite!

Enthusiast III

Phoenix, AZ
Never owned anything but a 5th Gen (2016 Trail), so nothing with which to compare it. So far I am very pleased with its capability, reliability, ride, and the availability of aftermarket support. Wish it got better gas mileage.

P1070279.JPG

Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding

Swhirstein

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Davenport, Iowa, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Hirstein
Member #

Never owned anything but a 5th Gen (2016 Trail), so nothing with which to compare it. So far I am very pleased with its capability, reliability, ride, and the availability of aftermarket support. Wish it got better gas mileage.

View attachment 45266
I can definitely relate to wanting better mpg's!

NW Adventure & Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Poulsbo, Washington, United States
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Hart
Member #

Service Branch
Army - Former
Being a popular vehicle, what is the best & worst thing about running a Toyota 4Runner? (In terms of the generation of the vehicle) Then please vote which generation is your favorite!
I have a 4th gen. and love it, so my vote went to the 4th gens. However I think for 4Runners it all comes down to personal preference. The first gen had a straight axle front and is highly sot after, the 2nd & 3rd gens have tons of after market parts available and are lower cost to buy. The 4th gens are kinda in the middle of the bunch and the new 5th gen is just a bad ass rig that is growing in popularity extremely fast and already has a ton of after market goodies to choose from. All in all I don't think there is a bad one, they are all good and reliable.

Livin the life

Rank III
Launch Member

Influencer II

Arizona
Member #

I myself went with the 3rd Gen currently. I had an 85 and loved it and wished I still had it but I did not do much mechanical work so it was costing alot to have fixed. Now I got the 2000 and I am doing most of the work as I learn. redoing the front end now,so I will see how things go. If I could get a 5th then I would, I just love the 4runners. I can not wait to get on the road with it.

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
My first 4Runner was an '85 with Marlin Crawler, locked axles, and 3" lift. I loved that vehicle, my wife actually cried the day that we sold it. Now, I have a '98 3rd gen and it is ok. Personally, I do not like the looks of the newer generations - that front end is too carish for me. Just saying...

Attachments

AZBubs

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Tan Valley, AZ
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7BHP
3rd gen. Best: small and extremely capable. Worst: Lower ball joints. Still you can find ones with low gearing, factory rear locker, bountiful parts in the US.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Graeman

Grantnr

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Leon, TX, USA
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Grant
Member #

Biggest con for the 4th gen is aftermarket support. Want a snorkel? Yeah, buy an LC80 and make it work. Want a good selection for rear bumpers? There's maybe 3 options to consider for a good swing out. Have a thing for lockers like me? Womp, womp, womp.... Arb is what you get. (Not counting turd, I mean trd ) I plan on home building most of my electrical and storage areas.

Kris022

Rank II
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Houston, Texas
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF5UXO
Biggest con for the 4th gen is aftermarket support. Want a snorkel? Yeah, buy an LC80 and make it work. Want a good selection for rear bumpers? There's maybe 3 options to consider for a good swing out. Have a thing for lockers like me? Womp, womp, womp.... Arb is what you get. (Not counting turd, I mean trd ) I plan on home building most of my electrical and storage areas.
I agree. There wasn't much out there when I owned my 09 Urban Runner at the time. It's a great rig though. I love my 5th gen TEP as well. I wish they had a V8 option like the 4th gen because I tow. Overall I love 4R's!!

Reactions: Shake and Grantnr

Jonny G

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Gorham, ME, USA
First Name
Jon
Last Name
Gertig
Member #

I've had 3 capable vehicles in the past 6 years. A 2012 Nissan Frontier Pro4x, a 2016 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4, and now my 2018 4Runner TRD Off Road. Out of the three, I'm happiest with the 4Runner. I don't have another generation to compare to, but my understanding is that the 4Runners in general are just an outright decent vehicle, and somewhat underrated in their offroad capability. I doubt the 4th gens had many of the extra bells and whistles for offroad features that the 5th gens do. That being said, I'm extremely happy with what I have. Plus I get to really test it out next weekend in Uwharrie National Forest!

I understand that gas mileage is not great. But I didn't buy the truck for gas mileage. If I wanted better gas mileage, I would have gone with a cross over or gotten an Outback like my wife has. Maybe waited for the new Subaru Ascent (those are meant to get some great mileage according to our Subaru sales guy). I have come to understand that there is a throttle controller that will allow for either extremely poor gas mileage, or slightly improved gas mileage on the 5th gens, depending on the setting you ultimately use. I think this is believed to void warranties though.

Anyway, some food for thought.

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@Jonny G
I have come to understand that there is a throttle controller that will allow for either extremely poor gas mileage, or slightly improved gas mileage on the 5th gens, depending on the setting you ultimately use. I think this is believed to void warranties though.
Yes these are available and fairly easy to install. Not sure about the Warranty Void though. Check out Jason Koertge from @SwellRunner Overland's you tube channel he just did a video on the install of one of these units.

Boort