Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

Can someone explain how the RTT awning are held open with just that bent pole I see on so many? Trying to create an awning for my cloth walls on the pop-top. Do they have a pole in the awning running back to the tent as well? Seems like it has to..

Patman

Rank III
Investor

Enthusiast III

Hollister, Ca
First Name
Patrik
Last Name
Hultin
Member #

There is approximately a 2" deep hole in the base of the tent that the pole slides into. They are made of spring steel. You put it in the hole, then bend it to attach the hook end to the "awning". The spring tension pulls it tight, out and down as the pole is trying to return to straight.

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

There is approximately a 2" deep hole in the base of the tent that the pole slides into. They are made of spring steel. You put it in the hole, then bend it to attach the hook end to the "awning". The spring tension pulls it tight, out and down as the pole is trying to return to straight.
No pole back to the tent to hold the ridge taunt? What stops the side to side sway? Again just that bent pole?
Sounds way too simple...

By doing some math... LOL. The post of which that bent pole connection has to be lower than the pivot pole by a decent amount. Say 10% past (?).

Hmm.. You ever have winds fold it back?

Patman

Rank III
Investor

Enthusiast III

Hollister, Ca
First Name
Patrik
Last Name
Hultin
Member #

No pole back to the tent to hold the ridge taunt? What stops the side to side sway? Again just that bent pole?
Sounds way too simple...

By doing some math... LOL. The post of which that bent pole connection has to be lower than the pivot pole by a decent amount. Say 10% past (?).

Hmm.. You ever have winds fold it back?
Normally two working against each other pulling the awning taught.

The holes in the base are angled a few degrees towards the outside of the window as well

Reactions: RJ Howell

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

That makes sense. I figure last resort is bungee cord to hold those ends in place.

Thank you very much for the input!

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

I have it sewed and mounted!
Working through the stays, workable as is! That's good cause we leave in 3 days for yet another run... though this one being fairly short.

I'm gong to leave it deployed for a few days and keep adjusting as I see need on the deployment points. So far I'm using existing points. Still not getting the math in using the spring stays. I can see some of the required angles now. I think for the size of my windows it's not practical and I ned to tie out as I've done.

IMG_1489.jpegIMG_1487.jpegIMG_1490.jpeg

Reactions: Dusther210