Atlanta Overland Bound Meet Up - 09/23/2017

• HTML tutorial

WillRunner

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loganville, GA
Member #

Sorry I missed this, just joined at Expo East. Please let me know of your next meet up in the Atlanta area!
I'm just up the road in Greenville, SC. I'd love to come down to meet fellow OB'ers
Welcome to the group!!!

Yes it's a new month so let's plan our next brunch meeting, and also maybe even a camping trip... Tis the season, the weather is great and getting better!

I went t0 Prentice Cooper last weekend and had a blast!!!!

Attachments

Reactions: k9sar and Doug C

Keith McAlister

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Marietta, Georgia
Member #

What does everyone think of a meet up in NE Georgia as the next meet up? Where do we meet? From there people could go do Tray, Beasley Knob, there are many options for differing vehicles. Throw out some thoughts. My daughter is getting married on Nov. 11th so this meet up may be limited for me as we prepare for this event. We're all hungry so let's start cooking and see what we come up with. Meet up in Helen? Dahlonega? Blue Ridge? Blairsville? Clayton?

WillRunner

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loganville, GA
Member #

I like the Helen idea! Tray Mtn is just down the road, and let's not forget yummy German beer lol... However, it gets pretty packed during Oktoberfest.
I'm not very familiar with Dahlonega but would love to check it out so these places get my vote.

Sent from my SM-G930V using OB Talk mobile app

Keith McAlister

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Marietta, Georgia
Member #

I'm on a Stay-cation next week and the week after and since the wife is working, one day next week I'm going to head up to Dahlonega and Helen to find a meet place we can fit a bunch of rigs. Downtown Helen may be tough, not sure about Dahlonega. Back in the 70's & 80's we use to play a lot around Mt. Yonah with a dirt road leading up to a open area that accessed the trail up to the rock face of Yonah. Not far out of Helen so that is a possible meet point if the trail and open area still exist. West of Helen off Ga. 75A is a small State Park and I'll check that out too. Anybody else off that day is more than welcome to ride along with me on a North Georgia Re-Con!
:tonguewink:

Keith McAlister

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Marietta, Georgia
Member #

If all goes well my plan is to ride up into the Helen area on Tuesday to scope out a meet up point. Weekends in the fall are pretty tight in downtown Helen so our options in downtown may be limited at best. One spot I'm going to look at to meet up is the parking lot at the Mt. Yonah trailhead off Ga. 75. https://www.google.com/maps/place/Mount+Yonah+Parking+Lot/@34.637202,-83.7252969,94m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m8!1m2!2m1!1smt+yonah+trailhead!3m4!1s0x0:0x7a004818266faddc!8m2!3d34.637262!4d-83.7252131?hl=en

There are no amenities other than parking there so if we want more as a group, this may not work. My thought is we're Overlanders so we can bring our own amenities. The goal is to meet, meet each other and then head off to various trails that meet what folks want to do. Also thinking of a meet time between 8 to 9 am. This gives a bit of time to socialize and then leave the bulk of the day to go hit trails. And if anyone thinks 8 or 9 am is too early, I work nights and won't get off work until midnight to 1 am so if this old man can do it, come on sleepy head!
:grinning:

Reactions: CaptGB

Keith McAlister

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Marietta, Georgia
Member #

Going up Wednesday. Wife is taking off work and riding along. Works even better for me as she runs the mapping tablet so we can nav on the fly instead of me alone doing both meaning I'll be stopping more.

BJA90

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler III

Toccoa, GA, USA
Member #

It depends on what we type of meet up you're talking about. If we want more of a "social", meet-n-greet event (maybe invade a restaurant while we're there), then I'd suggest Banks Crossing/Commerce for the variety of restaurants and ease of access from Atlanta and Greenville (right on I-85). If the meet up is for a trail ride, then I'd say Dahlonega (they at least have a Walmart with a large parking lot to meet up at) or Cornelia (on US-441 for ease of access, multiple large parking lots for groups to gather, but is a bit further from the trails).

Reactions: k9sar

Keith McAlister

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Marietta, Georgia
Member #

It depends on what we type of meet up you're talking about. If we want more of a "social", meet-n-greet event (maybe invade a restaurant while we're there), then I'd suggest Banks Crossing/Commerce for the variety of restaurants and ease of access from Atlanta and Greenville (right on I-85). If the meet up is for a trail ride, then I'd say Dahlonega (they at least have a Walmart with a large parking lot to meet up at) or Cornelia (on US-441 for ease of access, multiple large parking lots for groups to gather, but is a bit further from the trails).
So far of the folks who have replied, they want to do something close to the trails. If everyone wants a social event, Commerce does make a lot of sense or the Dahlonega Wal-Mart and then find a place to eat from there. I'm open to any of that and even Dahlonega isn't that far from trails. If we do the 28th which seems popular at the moment, Helen and the area will be slammed with fall leaf watchers and such so thus why I think avoiding Helen itself may be wise.

Still heading up Wednesday morning to check out a number of options so everyone check back here later PM Thursday and we'll try and narrow down a meet point and then create a formal meet up by this Saturday for October 28th.

And if you have an idea or meet place, throw it out.

Reactions: WillRunner

Keith McAlister

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Marietta, Georgia
Member #

For you SC folks, what about a meet up along US 76 at Blairsville Ga.? The problem may be 76 coming through Clemson on a game day but you could take 183 out of Pickens and hit 76 at Westminster and shoot West. Let know if this is good or bad.

Reactions: k9sar