Virginia Overlander

Rank II
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Charles City, VA, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRCJ633
So $70 is for the whole year, this will be my first time and will be fun. Have thinking about it either Assateague or Chincoteague, but never get a chance to try. Will my jeep pass for all requirements? I have 3.5" lift with 35" tires, ARB pump, shovel, High lift jack 48", AEV jack base, tire gauge, and 10 ton Warn winch.
LOL... i think that will just about do it. If not just add a hovercraft attachment. What more could you ask for.... its a jeep :)

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
So from link i gather permit or not there is NO camping except bull pen and you got to have a camper (that will negotiate sand) for there. Overnight permit only good if your up fishing and you cant sleep. WOW
That’s just for the OSV zone. There is assorted camping before that.

Bear Wrangler

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Northern Virginia
First Name
Bear
Last Name
Wrangler
Member #

So from link i gather permit or not there is NO camping except bull pen and you got to have a camper (that will negotiate sand) for there. Overnight permit only good if your up fishing and you cant sleep. WOW
Yup. Self-contained 4x4 with water capacity for 2 days and overnight parking/camping at the bullpen. Overnight beach for active fishing only.

Chon K3DHS

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Montgomery Village, MD
First Name
Chon
Last Name
Gann
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K3DHS
I was looking forward to this, but the rig is down for repairs after a weekend on Flagpole Knob in Harrisonburg, VA. Between alternator and break issues about $1500 of work I have put into getting the rig back up. At least the issues did not occur until after I was off the mountain. So my plans are a maybe now.

Reactions: Nomadik Nova

Bear Wrangler

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Northern Virginia
First Name
Bear
Last Name
Wrangler
Member #

I was looking forward to this, but the rig is down for repairs after a weekend on Flagpole Knob in Harrisonburg, VA. Between alternator and break issues about $1500 of work I have put into getting the rig back up. At least the issues did not occur until after I was off the mountain. So my plans are a maybe now.
Ok! I know how that goes. No worries.

Bear Wrangler

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Northern Virginia
First Name
Bear
Last Name
Wrangler
Member #

I'm definitely in on this! Do we need to book sites at the campground?
Your best bet is to call the MD state park on Assateague or Frontier Town. The Nat'l Seashore portion is likely booked. There might be a hotel/motel or two in Berlin as well.

Reactions: sabjku

Bear Wrangler

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Northern Virginia
First Name
Bear
Last Name
Wrangler
Member #

We had a very relaxing time this weekend. Met Reid (OB #7403) on the beach. I'll put up one more event for this year. If there is a weekend that works better for you send me a note. I'd love to get a larger crew together next time. Pics to post soon.

HardRockExpedition

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Chantilly, VA
First Name
Thach
Last Name
Nguyen
Member #

I got in around 2:30pm due to gettting the permit and other stuff. Because it was late and I only stay for a day so I didn't get a chance to drive and look for Bear Wrangler. When I entered, I just parked very close to the entrance. I did drive down to where bullpen is. The beach was great, plan to come back this Labor day weekend.

Last edited:

evomike

Rank III

Advocate II

I got in around 2:30pm due to gettting the permit and other stuff. Because it was late and I only stay for a day so I didn't get a chance to drive and look for Bear Wrangler. When I entered, I just parked very close to the entrance. I did drive down to where bullpen is. The beach was great, plan to come back this Labor day weekend.
get the osv count app labor day usually gets packed at least with the app you can have an idea of how many are on the beach