Asking what an overlanding set up costs.

It's not thin skin for me. Im a guy who shrugs off a lot of stuff. I was just taught it's bad form to ask. So like you, I just see what I like and go look it up. I mean, these forums being a different story of course, since everyone is literally here to share info.
The information age has forced a lot of changes in cultural/social mores; I was brought up that asking about money was bad form as well. Social media and technology have accelerated things...
 
  • Like
Reactions: MOAK
hard to tell anything anymore...

there for the longest, it was the popular thing on here to actually downplay everything and it turned into whoever had the least and spent the least, was the winner. they would be proud to disclose the cost because it was going to be something insane. if someone spent $500 for a vehicle, then the next post was a person who only spent $300 for a vehicle and got their entire overlanding kit from goodwill for $25. if one member posted hiking in $10 temu boots, then someone had to be even more impoverished with boots they found in the trash somewhere...

people are bizarre. one minute they want you know how much they spend and then somehow it becomes virtuous to be poor and downtrodden. reminds me of Steve Martin in the jerk...

1790554200072.png