Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

Gets a bit tougher on the online version, yet found it again with your help. Once the waypoint is created, I clicked details and from there you get the opportunity to place it in a folder!

Whoa! One part worked out.
The second part of my question was again on Gaia.com attempting to get a single route/track to show on full screen. Support says only way is to achieve all others. Not what I hoped to hear..

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
The second part of my question was again on Gaia.com attempting to get a single route/track to show on full screen. Support says only way is to achieve all others. Not what I hoped to hear..
I don't believe is what you are saying is entirely correct. If you go to a track details page you won't see all of your other data. When you expand to the full screen your other data will return but you have the ability to turn off other tracks and routes from the side panel. I have shared a couple of screenshots. Since I have so many tracks and miscellaneous waypoints it is hard for me to see if these same methods will at least show the waypoints within a selected folder and not waypoints outside of the folder.

GaiaTrackDetailsPage.png
Track Details Page. If I zoom out no other tracks are shown.

GaiaEverything.png
Full screen map after looking at a Track Details page

Gaia-Screenshot2.png
Turning other data off. I would have to search an area where I only have data in unique folders to see if I could turn off waypoints outside of the folder. Not sure I have time for that.

Again I am not an expert on gaiagps.com. I rarely use it other than for quick overviews.

Reactions: KA7USA

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

If I read what you're doing correctly.. You turned off routes/tracks and left waypoints. What I was asking them was how to keep just a folder open in full screen, which would be routes/tracks & waypoints just of that folder. You get this in a small screen when you open a folder or use the details page. I was hoping you could go full screen and get the same. So far I don't believe you can.. Would be very happy for someone to show me (and the Gaia Tech, sometimes they don't even know) how.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
If I read what you're doing correctly.. You turned off routes/tracks and left waypoints. What I was asking them was how to keep just a folder open in full screen, which would be routes/tracks & waypoints just of that folder. You get this in a small screen when you open a folder or use the details page. I was hoping you could go full screen and get the same. So far I don't believe you can.. Would be very happy for someone to show me (and the Gaia Tech, sometimes they don't even know) how.
The only thing you can't toggle off is waypoints. If you turn off waypoints it will turn them off for all of the waypoints in that folder and everywhere else. Waypoints are global regardless of if they are in a folder or not. Otherwise you can turn off tracks and routes outside of the folder you are in. This is what is displayed in my reply.

Step 1: Pick a folder
Step 2: Go Full Screen
Step 3: Click the Layers and Overlays button on the left
Step 4: Turn off tracks, routes, area, etc. If you want to see your waypoints from that folder they need to remain on.

or
Be on the full screen map
Step 1: Click on any track regardless if it is in a folder or not
Step 2: Click the more button
Step 3: Click Open Details Page
Then it is the same. Click layers and overlays and turn off other items.
GaiaGPSMoreDetails.png

Reactions: RJ Howell

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

The only thing you can't toggle off is waypoints. If you turn off waypoints it will turn them off for all of the waypoints in that folder and everywhere else. Waypoints are global regardless of if they are in a folder or not. Otherwise you can turn off tracks and routes outside of the folder you are in. This is what is displayed in my reply.

Step 1: Pick a folder
Step 2: Go Full Screen
Step 3: Click the Layers and Overlays button on the left
Step 4: Turn off tracks, routes, area, etc. If you want to see your waypoints from that folder they need to remain on.

or
Be on the full screen map
Step 1: Click on any track regardless if it is in a folder or not
Step 2: Click the more button
Step 3: Click Open Details Page
Then it is the same. Click layers and overlays and turn off other items.
View attachment 140783
Yup, that's where I'm at.. Shame you can't go full screen from there and keep just what you see on the details page. I'm dealing with adds & changes from that smaller screen now.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Yup, that's where I'm at.. Shame you can't go full screen from there and keep just what you see on the details page. I'm dealing with adds & changes from that smaller screen now.
I would go to the Gaia GPS Community page and make a suggestion on what you want it to do. I would also see if anyone else has suggested something similar. If so comment on that post.

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

Kinda where I was and Jim asked me to write him direct with attachments.

Jim Margolis (Gaia GPS)
Feb 18, 11:29 PST
Hi there,

To show only the data in a single folder on the main map, you will have to archive the rest of your data. Note that this will remove the data from any synced devices. You can sync it again by un-archiving the data.
Here are the steps for that: Archiving, Unarchiving, and Recovering Lost Data

Let me know if there is anything else I can do for you.

Jim Margolis
Gaia GPS
Adventure Support

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Last edited:

dstock

Rank VI

Influencer I

Lake Arrowhead, CA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Stockslager
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZGS
Anyone know if they've hired any Android developers recently? It's a shame most of the new features are only on Apple.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Anyone know if they've hired any Android developers recently? It's a shame most of the new features are only on Apple.
Gaia is still looking for some I believe. While Android has larger phone market share in the world the Gaia User-base is less than on Apple. That doesn’t mean Gaia doesn’t care about Android users. It is just taking longer. They did do a major rewrite of the code base recently for Android and it is in beta testing now. That does not include Android Auto though from what I understand.

dstock

Rank VI

Influencer I

Lake Arrowhead, CA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Stockslager
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZGS
Gaia is still looking for some I believe. While Android has larger phone market share in the world the Gaia User-base is less than on Apple. That doesn’t mean Gaia doesn’t care about Android users. It is just taking longer. They did do a major rewrite of the code base recently for Android and it is in beta testing now. That does not include Android Auto though from what I understand.
Thanks. I'm on the beta for testing and Android Auto isn't included at the moment.

I get that they have a larger user base on Apple, but that may largely due to the slower development on Android. If it worked better on Android, more people might use it!

All good, here's hoping they catch up with Android sooner than later!

HuddExpo

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado Springs, CO
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0PSF
Pan and zoom is there and it was not in beta. I just used the new release it a bit yesterday and today and I am very happy. Now, when you tap the screen the pan and zoom options show up on the right hand side. It behaves quickly and so far so good. Again, I am very happy with this. Nearly fully functional in CarPlay now.

Last edited:
Reactions: rkerr188

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I asked the moderators to move your question to the main Ask About Gaia GPS thread.

If you are saying you want to share your tracks with the group it is very easy. Just go to GaiaGPS.com, make sure your track(s) are in a folder, and then share the link to the folder wherever you like. That is much better than uploading tracks. If you end up adding or modifying anything in the folder then the next time someone clicks the link the changes will be there. You can also make your tracks public via the GaiaGPS.com or the app.

Folders are your friend. Otherwise you will have tracks and waypoints all jumbled together which doesn't make sense when trying to share a specific route or area.

sharelink.png

sharelink2.png

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I just added this tidbit to the first post. I am joining the Overland Bound Group for the Mojave Road and I am making sure I have all of my maps downloaded.

One quick way to download maps is Download Maps Along Track or Route - You can pick what layers you want, up to 5, and what level of detail.

iOS - Download Maps Along a Track or Route

NatGeo Layer Maps_for_Mohave_Road.png

Here's a example of the NatGeo layer for the Mojave Road.

I sometimes hear complaints that folks wish they didn't have to download maps. They wish Gaia was just like (name a brand) GPS with "all the maps already loaded." Yes, there are devices with some map layer pre-loaded but they do not provide the level of detail and map layer options which Gaia can display. Did you know there are over a dozen different map layers associated with offroad and overland travel? Offroad Maps | Gaia GPS

A little bit of effort and learning can give you a much more powerful tool.

One easy way to give you full map coverage of a state(s) is to download the new and highly improved Gaia Topo Layer. The entire state of AZ, max zoom, is only around 275mb of data. California and a good portion of NV 730mb. This way you will always have at least one layer in Gaia GPS when exploring.

If you aren't a member and would like to subscribe to Gaia GPS I offer a discount on my website, 4xoa.com yes the OB discount is slightly higher but the small affiliate fees I receive from Gaia GPS help pay for my time to write articles and host them.

Thanks,
Chris

Attachments

GreyMudder

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Saint-Louis de Kent, NB, Canada
First Name
Rino
Last Name
Granito
Member #

I am having a hard time with Gaia, first got the free memebership and use it online from my computer. But really no info on the maps offered. Am I missing something ?

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I am having a hard time with Gaia, first got the free memebership and use it online from my computer. But really no info on the maps offered. Am I missing something ?
Yes... the free version is missing everything. All the details of the maps (fs road numbers, names of land marks, and such) are missing without the subscription.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Free gives you Gaia Topo base map for online use. The rest of the details are here.

Here are the suggested maps for off-road and overlanding:

Browse the entire map catalog: It lists which maps are with the base membership (50 different layers) and Premium (250 different layers)

Last edited:
Reactions: M Rose

Alain M

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Saint-Hyacinthe, QC, Canada
First Name
Alain
Last Name
Messier
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6HUA
Hello everyone,
Well, GAIA has been unreliable to me... Yes, I am a Premium member so as All Trails and both have giving me headaches. I download few maps so far and they let me down for no reasons. I could blame Android Auto for resetting the app every time I turn on the engine on my truck! But Gaia does not recover well from it. I was in Anza-Borrego last weekend, trying to lead a caravan of 4 rigs, then lost the next waypoint. The "Explore" feature is great until it stops working.

My take on all this: ALWAYS carry a good old fashion map and learn how to read it. Your off-grid navigation kit should have a compass, hard copy map of the area, your knowledge on how to figure out your location, and the optional comms devices in case you get lost.