Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Lafayette, LA, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Normand
Member #

Where might one look for other public gaia routes that are free to obtain? Besides the download section on this forum, which unfortunately doesn't have too much.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Where might one look for other public gaia routes that are free to obtain? Besides the download section on this forum, which unfortunately doesn't have too much.
Gaia takes generic routes in GPX and KML format. So search the internet for “xyz trail GPX” and then download and import. For example WA BDR GPX. It also can export in GPX and KML so you can share where you have been. There is a site called GPS Xchange that has lots to offer. So does trailsoffroad.com

Vesteroid

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Rathdrum, ID, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Hudson
I have been collecting waypoints and naming them for camp spot details, such as how many rigs can get in the area, or how level, exposed, wooded etc.

I want to be able to share them with my local overland bound group.

I put them all in a folder on my ipad mini for the life of me I cant seem to figure out how to get them onto my other devices (ie phone and when I log onto gaia from the web. A few show up but not all. I cant see any difference in the two vs the ones which do not show up.

I do see a link to share the folder via email.

If i get them all to show up, can other users post into that folder so in effect we all share to the same folder so we call can see either others waypoints? How can I accomplish this?

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Where is CarPlay mode?

From the horses mouth so to speak. Gaia folks don't monitor this forum so direct questions like this should be directed to the Gaia GPS Community forums.

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Jefferson County, Colorado, United States
First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

I would love to have this capability as well, but I have been following this over on the GAIA support pages and my gut is telling me this is just not going to happen. Very unfortunate.
There are only like 20 total CarPlay apps and they are all pretty much redundant. If you shelled out the extra money for a car that has a CarPlay compatible head unit, it probably came with GPS and satellite radio - at least in my case it did. So I literally have no use for the navigation apps they have for CarPlay and I wouldn't want to eat up my data for Pandora or the music apps for CarPlay. CarPlay has a lot of potential, but it is something they have just failed to offer anything worthwhile for.

HuddExpo

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado Springs, CO
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0PSF
Gaia does not use data if you have it set up that way. Plus, where I normally travel the backcountry, you wouldn't have mobile service so data use is a not issue. I also have yet to find one of the CarPlay navigation apps that has the offline resolution of GAIA , expecially when deep in the backcountry, like here in Colorado or Utah or Arizona. Google, Apple, etc. maps downloads are a poor resolution and their topo offerings are pretty lame too. I also want one less screen to look at so that is why having GAIA CarPlay compatible would be really nice.

Reactions: CTO1Mike

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I have been collecting waypoints and naming them for camp spot details, such as how many rigs can get in the area, or how level, exposed, wooded etc.

I want to be able to share them with my local overland bound group.

I put them all in a folder on my ipad mini for the life of me I cant seem to figure out how to get them onto my other devices (ie phone and when I log onto gaia from the web. A few show up but not all. I cant see any difference in the two vs the ones which do not show up.

I do see a link to share the folder via email.

If i get them all to show up, can other users post into that folder so in effect we all share to the same folder so we call can see either others waypoints? How can I accomplish this?
Make sure the app is synching your data each time you are online. If this still doesn't work contact Gaia GPS Support.

Here's how:
  1. Check you are connected to WiFi
  2. Open the app> Settings> Account> Tap Last Sync to force a sync
Sharing Folders: Share your Tracks, Routes, Waypoints and Folders on gaiagps.com

Sharing from the app:
Go to the folder section
Tap the down arrow on the folder you would like to share
You can choose all Gaia GPS users or Only People I Invite
If you chose invite (Recommended) You then enter the email address of the person(s) you want to have access to the folder.
You then can choose if they have Edit or View Access.

Official Gaia GPS Help File on sharing in iOS: Using Shared Folders

There is a way to give others edit capability to a folder. I have not used this much and would be worried about someone accidently erasing data. So I would suggest using DropBox or Google Drive for that purpose. It is pretty easy to add simple text documents via Google Drive so I prefer that these day. Create a folder, add a description text file and then upload the GPX tracks.

Last edited:
Reactions: Retinens803

danl

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Little
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K2UDL
I purchased a premium membership about a week ago without much more than reading some reviews on various GPS apps (before I saw this thread). After poking around in the web portal and watching a few videos, it seemed pretty straight forward and I was able to set up a route through the Mojave. It was actually fun. Then I added some side trips and waypoints, and descriptions to the waypoints. Changed colors on the routes and changed icons for the waypoints. Did some editing and reconfiguring. No problems, although I wish I could make the route line thicker and bolder to stand out more. I installed the app on my iPhone and iPad, and all the maps I had chosen in the web portal downloaded without me having to do anything. After reading the last 18 pages, I got worried that I missed something and that I'll end up in the desert with no data. Well, I'm not in the desert yet, but the data seems like it's there in my apps for sure. Anyway, everything seems seamless - at least as far as any tech goes. Maybe it's just that some people expect it to do things it isn't designed to do. It's not Google Maps or the Apple Map app which are designed for roads and turn by turn instructions (and both of which have lead me down the wrong road severely in the past). I'll use Gaia for off road. That's what it's designed for. For on road I'll continue to use Waze. That should cover most basis. If I'm missing anything, I'm sure there's another app out there to fill in the void, or good advise on this forum. Thanks everyone.

midwesttrekker

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

O'Fallon, MO, USA
First Name
Galen
Last Name
Sinkey
Member #

Using my iPad Pro 11, Seems like somewhat frequently, if I'm adding and removing layers, changing opacity, GAIA seems to hang and nothing displays except my own waypoints, tracks, etc over a blank canvas. Does this happen to anyone else?

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Using my iPad Pro 11, Seems like somewhat frequently, if I'm adding and removing layers, changing opacity, GAIA seems to hang and nothing displays except my own waypoints, tracks, etc over a blank canvas. Does this happen to anyone else?
I had some issues with the previous version but haven't with the latest version which was released a few weeks ago. I also have an iPad 11.

Reactions: midwesttrekker

Smokey_Bear_JLUR

Rank V
Launch Member

Explorer I

Oakville, MO, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Kuhn
Member #

Service Branch
LEO (Ret'd)
I finally bit the bullet and did the Gaia Pro subscription on an older IPad 4th gen with cellular I had lying about. Just glad The is so much support with the OB crowd for the undoubtedly large amount of questions I will have!

Reactions: danl

danl

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Little
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K2UDL
I finally bit the bullet and did the Gaia Pro subscription on an older IPad 4th gen with cellular I had lying about. Just glad The is so much support with the OB crowd for the undoubtedly large amount of questions I will have!
I'm new to it too. All I did is watch the videos and mess around with it, and it started making sense pretty quickly. I had to go back to the videos a few times, and went to their help section a few times, but it pretty much came together.

90volts

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Springfield, PA 19064, USA
First Name
mike
Last Name
gallela
Had a problem this weekend with Gaia showing not much of anything. All I had was a white background and main (blacktop) roads. I had USFS, MVUM , satellite with topo, Gaia topo. Nothing. I used google maps on my phone at the same time which wasn’t much better. Really hit me on time ... hours going up and down trails with no clue where to get out to the road. Ended up trying something probably beyond my ability. Thankfully got a hand from a Good Samaritan to help me unstick and hit pavement.

Do you need to download maps for the area first? I’ve had pretty good results in Pine barrens with the app.

This was in aristes, pa. Off of Lily road, to jerry’s Road, up to an access road on top of locust ridge. Using an iPad 2 air with att cell service. (No service at time)

Any ideas? Thanks.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Do you need to download maps for the area first? I’ve had pretty good results in Pine barrens with the app.
Yes, GAIA 101 you have to download the map layers you want. Sometimes you may get lucky with what Gaia puts into a cache file (if it's the same area you are travelling to) but don't rely on that.

90volts

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Springfield, PA 19064, USA
First Name
mike
Last Name
gallela
Maybe thats the reason my pine barrens trips were working fine... areas ive used frequently. so have to download a whole route for a cross country and back trip? sheesh. that sucks. well, thanks for the heads up.

danl

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Little
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K2UDL
Maybe thats the reason my pine barrens trips were working fine... areas ive used frequently. so have to download a whole route for a cross country and back trip? sheesh. that sucks. well, thanks for the heads up.
It's not hard. Just set up a simple route in the area before you go, when you have service, and choose the layers/overlays you want so they download too. If you do that, you should be set.

Also, I always recommend that people take a paper map and compass no matter what technology they have with them. A map and compass have never failed me, while every piece of technology I own has let me down at one time or another.

Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Might be silly question but how much detail can you get? I have tried few times to D/L the everglades TOPO and once I hit a certain ft it goes blank and shows no detail.
What specific topo map are you using? There are many options.

danl

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Little
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K2UDL
Might be silly question but how much detail can you get? I have tried few times to D/L the everglades TOPO and once I hit a certain ft it goes blank and shows no detail.
I get the same detail as I do on the USGS 1:24000 topos. Some of the other layers have even better detail for some areas.