Ask About Gaia GPS!

• HTML tutorial

Pilotamis

Rank 0

Traveler I

There is a cloud version for planning purposes but not for vehicle use. Technically possible? Maybe, you would have to pair a GPS to your mac and see if it would work. I think you would be much better off buying a iPad mini or Android tablet.
With the amount of storage you need to use the maps offline for large areas, it would make sense to be able to use it on a MacBook. We're heading out Monday for 17 days across Vancouver Island and Western BC and the size of the map we'd need are just to big. We also will not have the option to find free WiFi regularly to update our maps. My MacBook already has a built in GPS plus I can tether it with an external unit if necessary. I can use cards and create maps that are saved to each card. With an iPad we don't that ability as far as I've been able to find. My MacBook also serves multiple other purposes that an iPad doesn't which is why we bring it when we travel and not our iPad.

May I also recommend the ability to free hand draw the area of the map that you want to use offline. It will save some people significant storage.

So far from the little I've been able to use the app, it's really nice. Kudos to all that have put the work in.

Marty

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Phippsburg, Maine
Member #

I just could not get GAIA to work for me for long distances. It would re-route me all sorts of silly directions except where I wanted to go in the sequence I wanted to drive. So I contacted GAIA. They offered to work with me but I have gotten so frustrated that I asked for my money back. Which they sent. Promptly.
This mapping business is a PIA.
Magellan's software is clunky so I didn't jump for the $600 GPS unit they are flogging as the best thing for offloading yet.
Apple Maps - generally useless for Canada.
Google - well....more intuitive but it doesn't read my mind or find campsites for me on my route. That would be sweet.

Reactions: TRT87

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I just could not get GAIA to work for me for long distances. It would re-route me all sorts of silly directions except where I wanted to go in the sequence I wanted to drive. So I contacted GAIA. They offered to work with me but I have gotten so frustrated that I asked for my money back. Which they sent. Promptly.
This mapping business is a PIA.
Magellan's software is clunky so I didn't jump for the $600 GPS unit they are flogging as the best thing for offloading yet.
Apple Maps - generally useless for Canada.
Google - well....more intuitive but it doesn't read my mind or find campsites for me on my route. That would be sweet.

Shoot me a PM with the email address you used with your Gaia account. Maybe I can read through your old Support ticket. Also let me know how long ago it was. Since Gaia doesn't do turn by turn and automatic re-routing along a track I would like to better understand the issues you were having.

Sorry the team couldn't solve the issue to your satisfaction. They are great with refunds though. They want their customer base to be completely happy.

You might take a look at the Ultimate Campgrounds app. Not sure about Canada support though. You can import GPX into that app and follow your track line. Again no turn by turn or routing though.

Thanks,
Chris

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
This was, like, last week. Thanks for asking but I am DONE with Gaia.

M
No worries. I found your ticket. Good luck in your search. I would recommend not buying Hema Explorer. It is similar to an old version of Gaia GPS and you will likely have the same routing challenges. There is no "automatic" routing either. You would have to manually build all of your points.

You might take a look at Map.me or Pocket Earth. These are a couple of other apps I use on occasion.

T

The Raven

OT a bit, but please explain how you got built in GPS in your Macbook?

On topic....I need a decent offroad GPS solution for our travels but Gaia is not useful for me yet due to the Android issues. I also worry that as they introduced the iOS version first the Android will always take second place in priority for bug fixes/updates/etc.

With the amount of storage you need to use the maps offline for large areas, it would make sense to be able to use it on a MacBook. We're heading out Monday for 17 days across Vancouver Island and Western BC and the size of the map we'd need are just to big. We also will not have the option to find free WiFi regularly to update our maps. My MacBook already has a built in GPS plus I can tether it with an external unit if necessary. I can use cards and create maps that are saved to each card. With an iPad we don't that ability as far as I've been able to find. My MacBook also serves multiple other purposes that an iPad doesn't which is why we bring it when we travel and not our iPad.

May I also recommend the ability to free hand draw the area of the map that you want to use offline. It will save some people significant storage.

So far from the little I've been able to use the app, it's really nice. Kudos to all that have put the work in.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
OT a bit, but please explain how you got built in GPS in your Macbook?
As far as I know they don't. They will use your wifi signal to pinpoint your location. I would be curious about this answer as well.
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4366180?start=0&tstart=0

On topic....I need a decent offroad GPS solution for our travels but Gaia is not useful for me yet due to the Android issues. I also worry that as they introduced the iOS version first the Android will always take second place in priority for bug fixes/updates/etc.
You won't like the answer but iOS will likely always take priority over Android. Why? Because there are way more people using the iOS app than Android. That does NOT mean Gaia doesn't care about Android development. It simply means you have to focus on the larger audience first. Then take what works with that audience and integrate it into Android.

What issues with regards to the Android version are you talking about? The current is pretty good, granted I don't use it on a daily basis. If you were to buy that app and then the new version comes out you can keep that version and the new one will give you up to 2 years of use for free. Just something to think about.

I am still not an Android fan. Personal preference. I have an Android phone for international travel and general testing purposes but iOS has always been a more stable platform. I am talking about the operating system and not any individual app. The "Pro" with Android is any manufacturer can build a device and use the OS. The big con is that any manufacturer can build a device and use the OS. Just a lot of issues can creep into the mix. Especially with the cheap of brand tablets. Android you can store apps and data on an SD card but I have seen complaints across the board with various apps having issues. Again not specific to Gaia. So is the issue the app, the hardware, or the SD card? That's the kind of stuff I am talking about. What is super cool with Android is the Android based in dash car radios. Being able to run Gaia on your in dash radio is pretty neat. I wish there was an iOS option.

As for alternatives. I would say Back Country Navigator is the most popular option. There are others but I just don't think they get supported as well because they are from very small development shops.

Marty

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Phippsburg, Maine
Member #

I am going to attempt using InReach with Earthmate. The InReach hooked up to the laptop may be just the thing. The InReach provides the GPS data to the laptop....Today I'm going to test this setup.

T

The Raven

In all honesty I'm only going by 3rd party reports about the iOS app being worlds better as I'm not paying $20 for a sub-par product, though would be willing to help develop if it meant somthing on par with iOS. That being said my expereince with apple products since Jobs death have been abysmal(as I type this on my 2011 Macbook Pro). Unless you can afford to upgrade to top 2-3 of recent apple releases the older hardware becomes almost unusable. I gave my Ipad 2 away after the speed and battery got so bad it was useless. My android LG tablet just keeps going and going. While I don't want to litter this thread with a bunch of Android vs iOS banter I can say that there are many more Android apps than iOS and you are grossly incorrect about the amount of iOS users vs Android. In fact for every 1 iOS user there are 8 Android users. That is where the market share is and why I feel Gaia needs to put more emphisis on supporting Android.

Again though, when you have a company loyal to iOS and hires developers who are loyal it's hard to shift mindset or even put out a quality product when the belief is that Android is inferior.

In any case, here are a couple links to support my statements above:

https://9to5mac.com/2016/08/18/android-ios-smartphone-market-share/

Number of apps, which Android also runs Amazon apps.
https://www.statista.com/statistics/276623/number-of-apps-available-in-leading-app-stores/

As far as I know they don't. They will use your wifi signal to pinpoint your location. I would be curious about this answer as well.
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4366180?start=0&tstart=0

You won't like the answer but iOS will likely always take priority over Android. Why? Because there are way more people using the iOS app than Android. That does NOT mean Gaia doesn't care about Android development. It simply means you have to focus on the larger audience first. Then take what works with that audience and integrate it into Android.

What issues with regards to the Android version are you talking about? The current is pretty good, granted I don't use it on a daily basis. If you were to buy that app and then the new version comes out you can keep that version and the new one will give you up to 2 years of use for free. Just something to think about.

I am still not an Android fan. Personal preference. I have an Android phone for international travel and general testing purposes but iOS has always been a more stable platform. I am talking about the operating system and not any individual app. The "Pro" with Android is any manufacturer can build a device and use the OS. The big con is that any manufacturer can build a device and use the OS. Just a lot of issues can creep into the mix. Especially with the cheap of brand tablets. Android you can store apps and data on an SD card but I have seen complaints across the board with various apps having issues. Again not specific to Gaia. So is the issue the app, the hardware, or the SD card? That's the kind of stuff I am talking about. What is super cool with Android is the Android based in dash car radios. Being able to run Gaia on your in dash radio is pretty neat. I wish there was an iOS option.

As for alternatives. I would say Back Country Navigator is the most popular option. There are others but I just don't think they get supported as well because they are from very small development shops.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
In all honesty I'm only going by 3rd party reports about the iOS app being worlds better as I'm not paying $20 for a sub-par product, though would be willing to help develop if it meant somthing on par with iOS. That being said my expereince with apple products since Jobs death have been abysmal(as I type this on my 2011 Macbook Pro). Unless you can afford to upgrade to top 2-3 of recent apple releases the older hardware becomes almost unusable. I gave my Ipad 2 away after the speed and battery got so bad it was useless. My android LG tablet just keeps going and going. While I don't want to litter this thread with a bunch of Android vs iOS banter I can say that there are many more Android apps than iOS and you are grossly incorrect about the amount of iOS users vs Android. In fact for every 1 iOS user there are 8 Android users. That is where the market share is and why I feel Gaia needs to put more emphisis on supporting Android.

Again though, when you have a company loyal to iOS and hires developers who are loyal it's hard to shift mindset or even put out a quality product when the belief is that Android is inferior.

In any case, here are a couple links to support my statements above:

https://9to5mac.com/2016/08/18/android-ios-smartphone-market-share/

Number of apps, which Android also runs Amazon apps.
https://www.statista.com/statistics/276623/number-of-apps-available-in-leading-app-stores/
Not going to go back and forth with you. This is for folks who have questions about the app. If anyone tries Gaia GPS and are not satisfied with it they can get a refund. Gaia supports its users. As app developers they know it is impossible to satisfy everyone. How many other app developers offer refunds? How many others have a dedicated support team? Work hard to offer a online knowledgebase, community forum, and even offer support via Reddit?

Your statement that the development team is "loyal it iOS" and believe Android is "inferior" is not fair. What I said about more users of iOS was SPECIFIC to Gaia GPS app users vs Gaia GPS Android users. Not the overall amount of hardware devices in the world. Because there are more Gaia users on iOS vs Android they worked on the major new software release on iOS first. A number of those improvements like the NatGeo maps and MVUM already transferred over to the Android app. Android will be next. I am not going to discuss it further because you have firm beliefs about the quality of hardware, software, and developers of such things and it is outside the scope of this thread. Gaia is a small growing company. After 4 years of using apps like this and spending lots of time and money on these different apps for use and evaluation I have not found anything that beats Gaia GPS. None. That's me. Everyone has different needs and expectations for what they want out of their navigation apps and I hope if they find something they like they will take the time to start a separate thread and write about it.

Reactions: Steve

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I am going to attempt using InReach with Earthmate. The InReach hooked up to the laptop may be just the thing. The InReach provides the GPS data to the laptop....Today I'm going to test this setup.
Very limited map choices. If it works for you great. I know you can do routing via a desktop/laptop application but I think that is a additional purchase. I have never used it. Downloading of topo maps vs the default Delorme maps is tedious on iOS. With Garmin taking over Delorme there may be improvements down the road. I love my InReach Explorer but I don't like the software. I only using it for text messaging purposes and not running tracks and navigation.

Based on this page it looks like a lot of the software products are in limbo: http://info.delorme.com/

This video is dated but I watched it in the past when I first got my InReach:

Last edited:
T

The Raven

Nope, no need to brother or to get all defensive. Just saying that if Gaia is going to compete and be useful Android has to take as much development as iOS which it is not right now. Hopefully in time it will and I can buy it but right now there are many better apps. I actually might contact them directly, point them to the thread and see if they can offer any feedback for CS and development.

Not going to go back and forth with you. This is for folks who have questions about the app. If anyone tries Gaia GPS and are not satisfied with it they can get a refund. Gaia supports its users. As app developers they know it is impossible to satisfy everyone. How many other app developers offer refunds? How many others have a dedicated support team? Work hard to offer a online knowledgebase, community forum, and even offer support via Reddit?

Your statement that the development team is "loyal it iOS" and believe Android is "inferior" is not fair. What I said about more users of iOS was SPECIFIC to Gaia GPS app users vs Gaia GPS Android users. Not the overall amount of hardware devices in the world. Because there are more Gaia users on iOS vs Android they worked on the major new software release on iOS first. A number of those improvements like the NatGeo maps and MVUM already transferred over to the Android app. Android will be next. I am not going to discuss it further because you have firm beliefs about the quality of hardware, software, and developers of such things and it is outside the scope of this thread. Gaia is a small growing company. After 4 years of using apps like this and spending lots of time and money on these different apps for use and evaluation I have not found anything that beats Gaia GPS. None. That's me. Everyone has different needs and expectations for what they want out of their navigation apps and I hope if they find something they like they will take the time to start a separate thread and write about it.

Last edited by a moderator:

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Nope, no need to brother. Just saying that if Gaia is going to compete and be useful Android has to take as much development as iOS which it is not right now. Hopefully in time it will and I can buy it but right now there are many better apps. I actually might contact them directly, point them to the thread and see if they can offer any feedback for CS and development.
Gaia is aware of this thread. They also track articles that other folks have written about the app. Here's a great example: http://www.adventurealan.com/iphone-gps-map-backpacking/

Not sure how else I can explain the development process. Android will be next. It takes time to develop quality software. Lots of folk volunteered to become beta testers to help with that process. You could do the same with Android if you ask them. The next generation release for iOS has been out for around 90 days. Lots of feedback received and that will be incorporated into future releases of iOS and Android.

I always encourage folks to contact Gaia directly if I can't answer their question or its something Gaia should know directly. For example a feature request like MVUM implementation. (Which was implemented because enough folks stepped up and suggested adding the map layer). If you have a better/prefered Android app I would encourage you to start a thread on OverlandBound and offer suggestions and help. Plenty of questions abound from folks. That's all I have tried to do here. Help the community.

There are several ways you can reach Gaia:
Fill out a ticket, or participate in the community forum: https://help.gaiagps.com/hc/en-us

Gaia also responds to support questions here: https://www.reddit.com/r/GaiaGPS/

Last edited:
T

The Raven

That's exactly what I did, I travel full time and suspect I could help if they were willing. I think the software has promise and folks need to be there in the field to help make it the premier app for offroad navigation.

Reactions: 1Louder

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I found this interesting site. If you ever want to convert a route from google maps to a GPX file and import into your favorite navigation app this makes it really easy, https://mapstogpx.com/

Create a trip in Google. Choose share, copy the link and then paste into the above web site.

Last edited:

Marty

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Phippsburg, Maine
Member #

Very limited map choices. If it works for you great. I know you can do routing via a desktop/laptop application but I think that is a additional purchase. I have never used it. Downloading of topo maps vs the default Delorme maps is tedious on iOS. With Garmin taking over Delorme there may be improvements down the road. I love my InReach Explorer but I don't like the software. I only using it for text messaging purposes and not running tracks and navigation.

Based on this page it looks like a lot of the software products are in limbo: http://info.delorme.com/

This video is dated but I watched it in the past when I first got my InReach:
in Reach map options are awesome to me - can choose from topo, open street map and many others. All of this must be done on laptop EARTHMATE software which will sync with inReach by USB. Gotta remember to sync before disconnecting.
That said, I downloaded all of the topo maps for my route where I am camping (10 parks - provincial and national in Canada) and then same for Washington/Oregon without difficulty. inReach didn't hiccup with the volume of data. Have downloaded USFS maps of Columbia River and Hood river to laptop but haven't tried inReach sync with these.
Battery life on inReach is tremendous. I have left the unit on for 5 days without trouble.
Still need to learn more of the route planning nuances in Earthmate.

WARNING: To work with inReach and Earthmate, go through GARMIN website, not Delorme.

Last edited:

OffroadTreks

Rank IV

Advocate II

Nomad
Member #

Why are the map tile downloads so painfully slow? Lots of folks seem to have problems downloading areas. Also download size seems to be limited significantly? This was a problem in the old app, and seems to still be an issue in the new app. Are there any plans to address that problem?