Rank II

Traveler III

Florence, AZ
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
H
Member #

So I bought my truck a couple months back, haven't done anything other than a level, but really don't plan on doing much more other than tires, but want to get to know the truck more.

New to off road, was always a car person, so looking for some good trails in the east valley area to get familiar with things. I've never aired down, or really pushed any limits, so I want to get familiar with my vehicle before going on long excursions.

I live down in the San Tan and Florence area, I know of box canyon but never tried it so not sure if a leveled ranger is enough for that one? I have my permit for for Bulldog canyon as well, but never tried or venture out that way much. If there's any suggestions, even just quick small trails to get some seat time in, I'd appreciate it.

I have so many dumb questions so brace yourselves here, just want to be sure I'm going about it the better/safer way since it's also my daily lol, but I'm on the original tires, the Hankook dynapro ATM tires, what psi should I air down to if I need to? (I do have a compressor to air up, just never used it much)

Thanks all

AntipplFx4

Rank II

Traveler III

Florence, AZ
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
H
Member #

(Also random, but I tried joining the OB SW Facebook group, just pending approval but it's been a while if anyone can approve it?)

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
Have you contacted your regional rep? He is a good guy and lives in PHX area......... His name is Brien:
US Southwest - Arizona, Texas, New Mexico, Oklahoma - @brien

Jim

Billygoat Rocklanding

Rank V
Launch Member

Explorer I

Gilbert, AZ, USA
First Name
Brad
Last Name
Mannix
Member #

So I bought my truck a couple months back, haven't done anything other than a level, but really don't plan on doing much more other than tires, but want to get to know the truck more.

New to off road, was always a car person, so looking for some good trails in the east valley area to get familiar with things. I've never aired down, or really pushed any limits, so I want to get familiar with my vehicle before going on long excursions.

I live down in the San Tan and Florence area, I know of box canyon but never tried it so not sure if a leveled ranger is enough for that one? I have my permit for for Bulldog canyon as well, but never tried or venture out that way much. If there's any suggestions, even just quick small trails to get some seat time in, I'd appreciate it.

I have so many dumb questions so brace yourselves here, just want to be sure I'm going about it the better/safer way since it's also my daily lol, but I'm on the original tires, the Hankook dynapro ATM tires, what psi should I air down to if I need to? (I do have a compressor to air up, just never used it much)

Thanks all
I been offline for a big with family and school but if you want something to test the waters first I would suggest the whole four Beck's trail. It's fun has enough different terrains to see what your rig is like. And if that's to easy you can hit the Rolls that are connected to the Four Peaks trail. That one has some more difficult spots but it can be easy as well just to teat the waters. For the Rolls I would suggest a GPS that lays down a cookie crumbs trail for you to fall back out. That place has so many trail, I have spent weeks back there and still haven't mapped them all out yet.

Reactions: AntipplFx4

AntipplFx4

Rank II

Traveler III

Florence, AZ
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
H
Member #

I been offline for a big with family and school but if you want something to test the waters first I would suggest the whole four Beck's trail. It's fun has enough different terrains to see what your rig is like. And if that's to easy you can hit the Rolls that are connected to the Four Peaks trail. That one has some more difficult spots but it can be easy as well just to teat the waters. For the Rolls I would suggest a GPS that lays down a cookie crumbs trail for you to fall back out. That place has so many trail, I have spent weeks back there and still haven't mapped them all out yet.
Thanks, I'll have to check those out. Never heard of Becks so I'll see if can look it up on Gaia maps and see if there's some easy routes laid out in there to try

Billygoat Rocklanding

Rank V
Launch Member

Explorer I

Gilbert, AZ, USA
First Name
Brad
Last Name
Mannix
Member #

Thanks, I'll have to check those out. Never heard of Becks so I'll see if can look it up on Gaia maps and see if there's some easy routes laid out in there to try
Four Peaks not becks sorry was typing on my phone

Billygoat Rocklanding

Rank V
Launch Member

Explorer I

Gilbert, AZ, USA
First Name
Brad
Last Name
Mannix
Member #

Gaia is a good source for me after I know where I want to go. Trailsoffroad gives you details and have video so you can see the landmarks. These are just some of the trails about us that I gave mapped out.

Attachments

AntipplFx4

Rank II

Traveler III

Florence, AZ
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
H
Member #

Gaia is a good source for me after I know where I want to go. Trailsoffroad gives you details and have video so you can see the landmarks. These are just some of the trails about us that I gave mapped out.

Ahh yeah trails has been great. I snagged your photo and this is the area I'm most interested in trying out so that it's close to home to start if you know of any small ones around there too.
These are why I mainly mentioned box canyon and bulldog. Might even try to check out Pinal peak tho I think that's just a dirt road lol

Attachments

Billygoat Rocklanding

Rank V
Launch Member

Explorer I

Gilbert, AZ, USA
First Name
Brad
Last Name
Mannix
Member #

Ahh yeah trails has been great. I snagged your photo and this is the area I'm most interested in trying out so that it's close to home to start if you know of any small ones around there too.
These are why I mainly mentioned box canyon and bulldog. Might even try to check out Pinal peak tho I think that's just a dirt road lol
Box canyon is really nice area there are so many trails back there. I would say if tour new be really careful you can get off camber is some places and in my JKU it long enough I have to watch slapping the backend when pivoting around VW size rocks in the trail. I hit it up once a month and it’s a trail I will so solo

Attachments

AntipplFx4

Rank II

Traveler III

Florence, AZ
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
H
Member #

Box canyon is really nice area there are so many trails back there. I would say if tour new be really careful you can get off camber is some places and in my JKU it long enough I have to watch slapping the backend when pivoting around VW size rocks in the trail. I hit it up once a month and it’s a trail I will so solo
Hmm wonder if the ranger would make it then. My grand Cherokee can do it, but isn't ready yet, have some things I need to install and replace before taking it back out. But that one has a 4" lift and on 31's , previous owner has done that trail with it tho with no issues. Might have to give it a shot once though

Billygoat Rocklanding

Rank V
Launch Member

Explorer I

Gilbert, AZ, USA
First Name
Brad
Last Name
Mannix
Member #

Hmm wonder if the ranger would make it then. My grand Cherokee can do it, but isn't ready yet, have some things I need to install and replace before taking it back out. But that one has a 4" lift and on 31's , previous owner has done that trail with it tho with no issues. Might have to give it a shot once though
its not hard you just have to pay attention and know your rig

AntipplFx4

Rank II

Traveler III

Florence, AZ
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
H
Member #

Try Montana Mountain Trail (just east of Queen Valley) Not very hard, good variety and great views. I went in January after it snowed and made it with out any problems.

Thanks! Just found my az backroads and 4wd trails book and came across this one, this one looks great. Never been is this an area needed to air down? Or okay to go as is? Seems pretty mild from photos but better to ask someone that's been

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
I am going to be in Prescott for 6-8 months and would be interested in running this. Anybody interested in camping along the way?

tritonl

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Lukasz
Last Name
Mikula
Member #

Thanks! Just found my az backroads and 4wd trails book and came across this one, this one looks great. Never been is this an area needed to air down? Or okay to go as is? Seems pretty mild from photos but better to ask someone that's been
I did air down, it is a more comfortable ride and you reduce the chance of a puncture. But its not necessary for this trail.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I would recommend signing up for TrailsOffroad.com and also Gaia GPS. One-click import of tracks into Gaia which is super nice now. With that said if you want to be old school you can print out directions for tracks and waypoints with it Trails Offroad reviewed trail. Only ou can know your comfort level. Find some local groups to join as well. Plenty on Facebook, possibly Meetup still, and occasional trips planned here with the Rally Point tool.