First Name
Connor
Last Name
Macklin
Member #

Service Branch
AD - USAF
Hello!

Welcome to my build thread. I'd like to start by noting that I am new to the Overland game and new to truck upgrades. This is a living thread and will be updated as each upgrade is added. The following is a list of upgrades I'd like to accomplish before heading to Alaska from Arizona, this Spring.

WHEELS/TIRES: Complete
-Current: 17 x 8 MB TKO's (the dealership put these on to make it look cool for street cruising) wrapped in FireStone Destination A/T 265/70R17.
20180919_171946.jpg
-Upgrade: 17 x 7 TRD Pro wheels (Not the most ideal or capable off road wheels, but it was the one item I settled on capability for looks) wrapped in BFG T/A K02 275/70R17.
20180923_111112.jpg

BUMPER: Complete
-Current: Stock color matched factory Toyota bumper.
-Upgrade: ICI Magnum RT steel bumper. This will hold a 10k SmittyBilt X20 Wireless/Waterproof winch (S/B97510).
20181006_181053.jpg

SUSPENSION: Complete
-Current: Stock factory TRD suspension (Bilstein Shocks)
20180923_114406.jpg
20180924_170939.jpg
-Upgrade: Icon Stage 3 (Shocks w/ aft Reservoirs, AAL pack, UCA, Coils/shocks up front)

HEADLIGHTS: Complete
Current: Stock OEM headlight lenses/housings (extremely clouded and cracked)
20180920_171554.jpg
Upgrade: OEM replacement assemblies. I didnt want to deal with any moisture issues from after market HID housings or retrofits.
20180923_123054.jpg

BED RACK: Complete
-Current: None. We currently use a two person Kelty Salida and pitch it in the bed for camping.
-Upgrade: KB VooDoo 10' bed rack. Eventually it will be the home of a RTT
IMG_20181006_162445_346.jpg

ARMOR: Complete
-Current: Factory TRD front skid.
-Upgrade: ARB skid protection system (plates from front to back)
IMG_20180926_220657_291.jpg

LIGHTS: In Progress (research/pricing/etc)

Misc. Mods:
Rear Dif Breather Relocation - Incomplete (parts ordered)

I'd love to hear thoughts or recommendations. Maybe some relevant experiences from guys who have been overlanding in AK and what worked/didnt work for them.

-Connor

Last edited:

gabe

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler I

miami
Member #

Nice taco build, my future travels include an Alaska trip but I keep putting it off for deployments. I look forward to following your build and learning some stuff.

Overland_TRD

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Fairbanks North Star Borough, Alaska, United States
First Name
Connor
Last Name
Macklin
Member #

Service Branch
AD - USAF
Nice taco build, my future travels include an Alaska trip but I keep putting it off for deployments. I look forward to following your build and learning some stuff.

Gabe,

I just recently found out that I'll most likely be stationed there this Spring. We are still waiting for the official orders. However, if it falls through, I'll still have an awesome truck to explore the desert! We will be up near Fairbanks so it's a perfect hub to explore the entire state. We are super excited about it, for sure.

Connor

Alaska.hermit

Rank V

Off-Road Ranger II

Wasilla, Matanuska-Susitna Borough, Alaska, United States
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Morriss
Member #

Service Branch
Us Army (retired)
I have done AK to NY, NY to CA to AK, SC to AK and AK to MT and Back a few times. The trip is never the same.....but it is always awesome.
I highly recommend bringing something from AZ that you would be willing to leave in the sign Forrest in Watson lake, YT. That is something I always stop to look at and leave something for that trip.
Good luck with your build!

Reactions: Overland_TRD

Overland_TRD

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Fairbanks North Star Borough, Alaska, United States
First Name
Connor
Last Name
Macklin
Member #

Service Branch
AD - USAF
I have done AK to NY, NY to CA to AK, SC to AK and AK to MT and Back a few times. The trip is never the same.....but it is always awesome.
I highly recommend bringing something from AZ that you would be willing to leave in the sign Forrest in Watson lake, YT. That is something I always stop to look at and leave something for that trip.
Good luck with your build!
I hadn't heard of this before, but I know exactly what to leave! That's awesome.

Reactions: Alaska.hermit